PDA

View Full Version : Seat Belt Length (Street Car)

CTX-SLPR
01-02-2016, 10:34 AM
Hello guys,

I figured y'all are capable of commenting on this intelligently for me. I'm really looking to add 3 point belts to my '64 Riviera but with it being a pillarless hardtop I know there isn't enough structure in the roof to attach the chest belt to. I also really dislike the integrated belt in seat units because they have the massive belt bump that sticks up and looks ugly, especially since I removed the headrests. While looking through modernish cars with pillarless hardtops, I found the W140 Mercedes Coupe that has the seat belts mounted back in the C-pillars and the related E-class coupes that have the seat belts mounted down at the rocker level that then pop out the top of the interior panels underneath the quarter windows. Both cases could work in the Riviera but either way results in long belt lengths. Is there a practical length limit for OEM type belts on a street car?

Mounting them down by the rockers would probably shorten the belts a few inches but they'd have to change directions from vertical and flat against the panel to horizontal and flat to the floor. I see a pinch/shear risk as well as structure in the short 'B' pillar to keep it from ripping out. Double trouble with an X-frame and no frame running under the door.

Mounting them back in the C-panels would allow them to run flat across the top of the interior panels under the quarter windows and over the seats but would probably be 6in or so longer.

Thanks