PDA

View Full Version : bullet mirrors for a 69

ss dave
11-01-2005, 05:38 AM
I've been trying for some time to find good looking bullet mirrors for my 69 Camaro. Seen several with them in different mags and I like the look. Anyone with bullet side mirrors? Where can I find them? Thanks

vanzuuk1
11-01-2005, 02:42 PM
Do you mean body color mirrors from a later gm, or vintage aluminum bullets like on steevos car?

ss dave
11-02-2005, 07:04 AM
Paintable body color mirrors, seen them in Camaro Performers and other mags. Can't find them. 70 Camaro mirrors look like the post would be too short on a 69, the ones I've seen appear to have a longer post. Wondering if anyone has them on their car/ thanks.

BonzoHansen
11-02-2005, 10:20 AM
They call the body color ones on the 2nd gens bullet style. I find them too small. A lot of cars today seem to have them kind of above the door in front of the window (if that makes sense), so they would probably not bolt onto the door in the stock location.

I might see if a 3rd gen mirror works out better. Power ones would be an option, as the harness is an add on that can be pulled out of donor easy.

Look at cars in parking lots and see if anything looks right, then maybe hunt some used ones down to try.

rob07002
11-02-2005, 10:27 AM
you could try C5 mirrors

mdprovee
11-02-2005, 10:35 AM
I bought a couple LeSabre side mirrors. Will just need to trim the base a bit to fit door. Dont stick out too far like the vette mirrors. Just my 2 cents.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MIRROR-buick-LE-SABRE-LESABRE-92-99-side-door-98-97-LH_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33649QQitemZ80116586 27QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

vanzuuk1
11-02-2005, 02:51 PM
THE guy for early gm mirrors is joe martin , his number is 989 667 9204. He is an expert and he will sell you a pair of used mirrors with instructions at a reasonable price. Year one has repro mirrors but they are pricey.

Ralph LoGrasso
11-02-2005, 03:05 PM
I think the mirrors you guys are talking about are off of an A-body, possibly Chevelles inparticular. I'm pretty sure those are the ones most guys swap onto first gens (they look like the 2nd gen mirrors).

Damn True
11-02-2005, 03:06 PM
Having trouble visualizing that. Gotta photo?

ss dave
11-02-2005, 04:01 PM
Joe Martin is THE GUY for info. Very informative, alot of tips, part #s where to go and prices. He stated that 2gen mirrors are what most people use and they are the same for chevelles, fbirds etc., however they use different gaskets. He gave mucho info! Thanks for the tips. Just bought a set off Ebay, he looked them over for me and confirmed they are the ones, even told me where to purchase new glass, and installation tips. Like vanzuuk1 said THE guy. Thanks.

DeepBlue68
11-02-2005, 04:45 PM
I've been thinking about doing this conversion with 2nd gen mirrors, but I've never seen a pic of a car with them. Does anyone have a pic of a car with them?

Also, is Joe Martin a member on here, or do you just have to call him? Does he own a business related to cars/mirrors, or is he just some regular guy who happens to know a lot about mirrors on 1st gens? I feel kinda funny calling a completely random number that's some guy's home phone number, like he's gonna be in the middle of dinner with his family and I interrupt to ask him about 1970 Chevelle side mirrors...

By the way, has anyone used 4th gen Camaro mirrors? Every time I see them in the Classic Industries catalog, the wheels in my head start turning. I'm not good with visualizing how stuff like that would look without having seen it, so it might look horrible.

vanzuuk1
11-02-2005, 04:52 PM
I dont have a close up, but my car has mirrors like you described.

Joe has an ad on ebay and a business selling parts. He is also a super nice guy.

ss dave
11-02-2005, 05:08 PM
Vanzuuk1 cool car, are those 2 or 4 gen mirrors on the 69? Joe is a great guy and I called him out of the blue, didn't seem to be a problem. He is THE mirror guy and I got the impression that he likes to help.

BonzoHansen
11-02-2005, 05:35 PM
By the way, has anyone used 4th gen Camaro mirrors? Every time I see them in the Classic Industries catalog, the wheels in my head start turning. I'm not good with visualizing how stuff like that would look without having seen it, so it might look horrible.
I think the 4th gen mirrors are kind of 'molded' into the fender (or visa-versa, I suppose), the fender . I'd have to see one not on a 4th gen.

68Formula
11-02-2005, 06:01 PM
Are there any tricks to installing the bullet mirrors?

vanzuuk1
11-02-2005, 06:08 PM
thanks, those are second gen mirrors on my car.

I was lucky my car had chrome mirrors on each side so there was a little support in the door, otherwise you have to add one.

Joe will supply all the parts and a detailed instruction sheet.

DeepBlue68
11-02-2005, 08:11 PM
Anyone have a link to one of his auctions on eBay? Or his eBay username would work as well

Ralph LoGrasso
11-02-2005, 08:20 PM
I think the 4th gen mirrors are kind of 'molded' into the fender (or visa-versa, I suppose), the fender . I'd have to see one not on a 4th gen.

4th gen mirrors mount via the front edge of the window/A-pillar (but the fender is molded around them). They would not work without major modification as their mount is horizontal and in order to mount them you'd have to mount directly to the A-pillar (I think?) on a first gen, or create a new base.

The mirrors are also pretty big, and without the flared top of the fender the 4th gens have, they might look out of place. You can kind of see where they mount in the first pic I attached (the black at the front of the window).

awr68
11-02-2005, 10:27 PM
You want mid to late 70's chevelle mirrors..like on the Mule. This is what I have now ('77 chevelle), first I tried second gen camaro mirrors, had them ground to the 68 camaro door profile and mounted...then decided I liked the taller chevelle mirrors better. You will need to grind a little off the bases with either mirror to fit your door profile.

BTW my second gen camaro mirrors are for sale! I have the ground bases and a set of stock ones as well.

BonzoHansen
11-03-2005, 05:29 AM
4th gen mirrors mount via the front edge of the window/A-pillar (but the fender is molded around them). They would not work without major modification as their mount is horizontal and in order to mount them you'd have to mount directly to the A-pillar (I think?) on a first gen, or create a new base.

The mirrors are also pretty big, and without the flared top of the fender the 4th gens have, they might look out of place. You can kind of see where they mount in the first pic I attached (the black at the front of the window).
Yeah, that is what I kinda meant by cars today seem to have them kind of above the door in front of the window. Plus you can see how the front fender 'leads' to the mirror, making me think the front of the mirror wouldn't look so nice by itself.

Ralph LoGrasso
11-03-2005, 03:15 PM
Yeah, that is what I kinda meant by cars today seem to have them kind of above the door in front of the window. Plus you can see how the front fender 'leads' to the mirror, making me think the front of the mirror wouldn't look so nice by itself.

Yeah, most new cars seem to have them mounted like this, and I agree -- even if they could be made to work, I don't think 4th gen mirros would be the best look out there for a 1st gen.

BonzoHansen
11-03-2005, 04:02 PM
I'll tell you Ralph, I looked at every car in my work parking lot today I could see, and they are all mounted like that now. I saw a cool set on a Benz with a turn signal built in, but after looking at them, I cannot imagine how to mount them.

Having breakaways would be nice too. :)

Ralph LoGrasso
11-03-2005, 04:23 PM
I'll tell you Ralph, I looked at every car in my work parking lot today I could see, and they are all mounted like that now. I saw a cool set on a Benz with a turn signal built in, but after looking at them, I cannot imagine how to mount them.

Having breakaways would be nice too. :)

One set that just came to mind is the C5 mirrors, they're still mounted directly to the door. They're a little bit big for my tastes, though.

BonzoHansen
11-03-2005, 05:43 PM
Maybe not so bad on a 2nd gen..my mirrors are too small.

One set that just came to mind is the C5 mirrors, they're still mounted directly to the door. They're a little bit big for my tastes, though.

lvrpool32
11-03-2005, 06:01 PM
Check out these mirrors....pretty cool.

http://www.visionhotrod.com/gallery.php

BonzoHansen
11-04-2005, 01:14 AM
Cool

68Formula
11-04-2005, 04:37 AM
Cheap too! Only one arm, and one leg.

DeepBlue68
11-04-2005, 01:33 PM
Cheap too! Only one arm, and one leg.
$187 a pair for the LED style, or $140 - $160 for the non-LED style...I don't think that's too bad. That's cheaper than buying a set of 2nd gen Camaro mirrors out of the Classic Industries catalog. They're $120 (driver) and $90 (passenger).

HHStang
11-04-2005, 05:11 PM
Mike- thanks for the Lesabre mirror tip. I'd love to see them on your car. Either post or email me at [email protected] please. Mike

awr68
11-04-2005, 08:13 PM
Check out these mirrors....pretty cool.

http://www.visionhotrod.com/gallery.php

Here's another visual (https://www.pro-touring.com/featured_cars/Camaro/1968_Camaro/Tom_Short_68_Camaro/tom_short2.htm)

Damn True
11-05-2005, 12:23 PM
Those look a little too small for functionality, but they do blend with the car nicely.

DeepBlue68
11-06-2005, 03:35 PM
Here's another visual (https://www.pro-touring.com/featured_cars/Camaro/1968_Camaro/Tom_Short_68_Camaro/tom_short2.htm)
Anyone know which mirror that is? It looks like either the VF-1 or VF-2 to me.

lvrpool32
11-06-2005, 04:34 PM
Looks like the VF-2..........I just ordered the same ones.

Nick

68Formula
11-07-2005, 08:25 AM
$187 a pair for the LED style, or $140 - $160 for the non-LED style...I don't think that's too bad. That's cheaper than buying a set of 2nd gen Camaro mirrors out of the Classic Industries catalog. They're $120 (driver) and $90 (passenger).

True, I just looked the cost to buy new this weekend myself and couldn't believe it. Looks like a screaming deal. Instead I went to the junkyard and bought a pair for $20. I'll need new screws and new glass, but it will still save me a few $$$.

WOOSHH
11-11-2005, 09:26 AM
I have a set in the FOR SALE section for $200. Check it out.