PDA

View Full Version : Ding! - Round Three (Camaro)

toddshotrods
11-01-2005, 12:13 AM
I've been calling it "my Camaro" lately because I plan to rename it. Project Machete just doesn't ring true in my ears anymore.

Quick recap of the last "two rounds"

ROUND ONE
I purchased a pretty solid Camaro with a busted 350. We installed a 80K 305 from a truck that ran perfectly until we got water in it cleaning it and rusted some of the intake valves open. Backfired like the timing was out 180, but a compression test and tear down confirmed the water damage.

ROUND TWO
I put the 305 on the stand, and installed a 350 Pontiac (that wasn't a typo) just for the heck of it, and to finally get some seat time. Sitting in the driveway making motor noises was beginning to get boring. I did put a whopping hundred miles or so on it last year, before assigning the car a dedicated spot in my new shop for the winter. Since then, I pull ed the front clip and the Poncho in preparation for a return to Chevy power and a new plan.

ROUND THREE
We just pulled yet another small-block, from yet another mid-eighties Chevy pickup. It comes home tomorrow, and I hope to have it in the car some time next week. The plan is to get some more seat time to help me decide what direction I want to go with this car. I should have a month or so before the salt trucks come out.

Pics coming...

zbugger
11-01-2005, 11:49 AM
Slacker......

toddshotrods
11-01-2005, 10:49 PM
You in your Camaro, me in mine, 1320 feet straight, 420 or 700 feet twisted, or a 200 foot donut - your choice. Halfway from here to there, and halfway from there to here - Texas, where the LS1Tech guy can be a witness. j/k

Things didn't go as planned for working on my driver today, so I paid homage to the old adage, "why put off for ta-morrow, what you can do ta-day?"
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
I put it in "as is" for a few reasons:

Considering my luck with engines in this car, I want to make sure it is actually worth the time it would take just to clean it up and paint it before I do ANYTHING to it!!!
I want to get some driving time in ASAP, because I don't know when Old Man Winter is going to hit; and the salt trucks come out.
It will come back out over the winter so I can do some chassis work, a smooth firewall, plus paint and detailing. If it's a good motor, I can replace all the gaskets, clean it up and paint it then.

I got it for services rendered on a project I am working on. Selling price was $300 for the whole truck. I just took the engine and left the rest for a few others who needed truck parts. The Holley and a set of cheapie headers came with it. Oh yeah, and the chrome kit too, which will be tossed eventually - I like aluminum. I know the former owner, and the one before him. It was given a decent once-over a few years ago. IIRC, it has a new oil pump, mild cam, and new gaskets (which don't seem to be sealing too well). The truck ran pretty decent, so here's hoping...