PDA

View Full Version : WS6 steering box or rack & pinion

LS1Bandit
10-31-2005, 05:44 AM
I am building my car with stock sub frame, QA1 coil overs new tubular upper/lowers. Also WS6 sway bars. The question i have is wether to convert to front steer with a rack, or leave it with rear steer with the WS6 box? Thanks!

Chevy350
10-31-2005, 07:42 AM
Leave it with rear steer? If I'm not mistaking, you are building the '77 in your sig? You talk about WS6 bars as well, which further implies it's a 2.gen F-body. In that case:

The 70-81 2.gen F-bodys already have front steer - The tierods, centerlink and steering box are in front of the front axle centerline.... Rear steer is what the 67-69 1.gen F-bodys have.

Due to the length of the steering arms on your spindles, there is no good alternative for a bolt-on rack. The long stock pitman arm and idler have enough "sweep" to get a good turning radius, I don't know of any rack that offers the same. I would get a WS6 box, or a nice aftermarket one (there are plenty good ones out there).

If you indeed are building a 1.gen, I appologize, and that above can be forgotten. Then there are some alternatives to aftermarket rack's, just do a search here.

LS1Bandit
10-31-2005, 11:35 AM
LOL i'm an idiot. I didn't really think about this before i asked! my friend who is not really into 2nd gen cars told me we would want to ditch the rear steer. Thanks i guess i should think a little before i post