PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk driveshafts

parsonsj
10-31-2005, 05:12 AM
I'll need to order one for II Much this week or next. The particulars for my car are a 600+ hp 427 LS2, small diameter dual clutch from Quarter Master, TKO-600 (.82 version), and 3.25 Locker 9" rear.

I've put in front and rear driveshaft loops. I'm thinking the smallest diameter steel driveshaft is the way to go. Is that 3"? Or 2.5"? Who's a good supplier? I need quality at 150 mph or so.

jp

airrj1
10-31-2005, 07:02 AM
John,

I have used Denny's Driveshafts (http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/) several times in the past with very good results. It has been several years since I bought anything from them, but I have used them for several circle track shafts. Also, the shop that I previously worked at used their driveshafts for their 2500hp ProMod car.

I started using them because they are local to me. But I would recommend them to anyone.

CarlC
10-31-2005, 07:29 AM
Mark Williams.

chicane67
10-31-2005, 10:25 AM
....Mark Williams 3" chromoly (http://www.markwilliams.com/pdfcat/pg64.pdf) or aluminum Accu Bond (http://www.markwilliams.com/pdfcat/pg65.pdf)

Rick Dorion
11-01-2005, 05:59 AM
It's worth a phone call to Denny's to form your own opinion. I was very happy as they took the time to understand my needs and didn't oversell me.

parsonsj
11-01-2005, 08:41 AM
Hey guys, great information. I'm also talking with the people at Quarter Master. 3" 4130 steel is the way to go. Now I gotta work out our u-joints, yoke, etc.

thanks!
jp

parsonsj
11-10-2005, 07:27 PM
Ordered up my stuff from Mark Williams. I expect it in a couple of weeks. Thanks again for the help.

jp

67Sally
11-10-2005, 07:58 PM
I know I am late with this as it sounds that an order has already been placed. There was something in the last issue of PHR talking about a carbon fiber drive shaft.

Is this more bling than zing??

Let me go get the issue and check.

ACPT Carbon Fiber Driveshafts (www.acpt.com)

Blown353
11-10-2005, 09:28 PM
Carbon fiber driveshafts are excellent. Very light, better self-damping than steel or aluminum, and they have a very high modulus of elasticity (read that as very stiff) which yields a higher critical speed (maximum speed the driveshaft can safely spin.) Unfortunately they are NOT impact resistant and will not tolerate any sort of impact abuse; this can be a problem on a street driven car. I had a friend grenade a carbon driveshaft on his 4th gen F-body when he ran over a small piece of wood which was kicked up into it. An impact that would bounce off or maybe just put a little ding in a metal driveshaft can lead to total failure of a carbon fiber driveshaft. The good news is that when a carbon fiber driveshaft fails it "shreds" and does almost no damage to the underside of your car. Can't say that about the failure of a metal driveshaft. While a shredding carbon fiber driveshaft may not tear up your car much, it will do pretty substantial damage to your wallet.

ACPT is a good winding house. I've used them as a subcontractor at work and was happy with the workmanship, and I've seen about a dozen of their CF driveshafts, which were all quite nice. I almost scored a freebie ACPT CF driveshaft for my car (a take-off from a friend) but it was 1/2" too long for my car. Drat.

Troy

parsonsj
11-15-2005, 12:52 PM
My MW ds cost over $500 with yoke. How much would a cf driveshaft cost?

jp

67Sally
11-15-2005, 08:21 PM
My MW ds cost over $500 with yoke. How much would a cf driveshaft cost?

jp

The PHR article had a price of $900.........I think. I will check and if it is different I will ammend this post.
W.

Blown353
11-16-2005, 12:17 PM
The PHR article had a price of $900.........I think. I will check and if it is different I will ammend this post.
W.

Correct, they're right about $900 either from Mark Williams or directly from ACPT. Inland Empire is also a dealer for ACPT.

I would be running a CF driveshaft on my car right now if the tunnel was shielded to help prevent any debris impacts against the driveline. Only reason I didn't order one is I didn't want to end up like my friend stranded on the side of the freeway and out $900 after running over a little piece of wood.

If/when I ever get around to re-doing my floorpan, I'll be fabbing some sort of tunnel shield just so I can switch to a CF driveshaft.

Troy

chicane67
11-16-2005, 06:24 PM
$900 with yolk is just about nose on.

The shaft from MW is a better shaft IMHO. MW shaft also shouldnt be confused with the other available on the market.... namingly ACPT.

After dealing with ACPT in their early days (circa '93) and dealing with their balance problems, I am glad they got it all figured out and now make a decent shaft. But the finished product from MW is second to none.

Blown353
11-20-2005, 10:01 PM
But the finished product from MW is second to none.

Agreed, both for their steel, aluminum, and CF driveshafts. My friend runs exclusively MW driveshafts on his Pro-Stocker (and did on his Pro-Stock Truck prior to cancelling the class) in both aluminum and CF and they've never let him down. Nice, nice pieces.

Troy

parsonsj
11-23-2005, 05:51 AM
But the finished product from MW is second to none.

I gotta admit, I didn't expect to spend nearly 6 bills for yoke, (Tom: not yolk ... that's what's in an egg) u-joints, and driveshaft. So I'm expecting to be knocked out of my socks when it gets here next week. Then the engine shortly afterward ... I'm actually dreaming of driving this damned car!

jp

chicane67
11-23-2005, 09:57 PM
Yolk is for the egg heads.......... the yoke is just-a joke.

I know, I know. My humor as of late isnt quite up to laughable.

parsonsj
11-26-2005, 05:10 PM
My humor as of late isnt quite up to laughable

I know what you mean. Some of my recent jokes have gone by the wayside around here too. On a happy note, my golden shaft has arrived (did I mention the six Benjamins?).

It's a lovely piece ... I'll do a trial install tomorrow. With two driveshaft hoops and a 3 link, I'm wondering how much I have to remove to install it.

jp

parsonsj
11-27-2005, 03:54 PM
It fits!!!

No unbolting of anything required. With the rear housing at ride height, the shaft slides right into place. I have full suspension travel and everything. I gotta admit I was concerned that all the stuff around the driveshaft might cause a problem. I have at least 2.75" of engaged splines between the output shaft and the yoke. (1" of yoke travel available).

Way cool!

Thanks again for all the help.

jp

datsbad
12-28-2005, 06:30 PM
I'll need to order one for II Much this week or next. The particulars for my car are a 600+ hp 427 LS2, small diameter dual clutch from Quarter Master, TKO-600 (.82 version), and 3.25 Locker 9" rear.

jp

why only 3.25 gears ?

parsonsj
12-28-2005, 06:46 PM
3.25 with my 25 3/8 tall tire and .82 o/d equals 2400 rpm at 70 mph. That should work well for a heavily cammed motor.

3.25 with a first gear of 2.87 first equals 9.4 torque multiplication. With a 427 making well over 500 lb ft of torque, I don't need much torque multiplication ... I'll probably wish I had less. If Moser had an offering of 3.00 or something, I probably would have gotten that.

jp