PDA

View Full Version : what don't they make for a 1969 Camaro

96Z28SS
10-30-2005, 08:09 PM
Just tor my car down to a bare shell and I want to toss some stuff.

I'm just wondering what doesn't the reproduction places make?
What part can we not get for our cars?

jwcarguy
10-30-2005, 10:25 PM
Be careful when "tossing some stuff"!! There are alot of people out there that want the original parts. You could post an ad here and on Team Camaro to sell off the parts to help fund your current project!! I've done this for a long time! Let me know what you may have , I have a few people with 69's. Hope this helps, Jeff

Steve1968LS2
10-31-2005, 07:35 AM
They DON'T make the wiper transmission arm.. I had to find a brand new one (OEM) and it only cost me $250..

96Z28SS
10-31-2005, 09:24 AM
They DON'T make the wiper transmission arm.. I had to find a brand new one (OEM) and it only cost me $250..

Whoa, I almost tossed that.

okay what else don't they make?

Sad thing is I already threw alot of stuff out.

Rybar
10-31-2005, 09:32 AM
The metal trim on the inside of the windows for the headliner, and the upper door opening stainless molding that the weatherstrip fits into. Also keep all your brake line clips and brackets. Also there are tons of nuts and bolts that are hard to find, so don't toss any of those. I think seat springs/frames are also not made new. Just some stuff I that I can remember.

MrQuick
10-31-2005, 09:39 AM
Referbishing what you already have is a good way to keep a project build cost down. You would be surprised what a bead blast and a coat of paint can do to a part. You might want to keep everything and toss out after the build. If your short on space the set up a triage and then put together a list for someone to go over...toss out the obviously damaged or unsavable ie: rust damage.

nancejd
10-31-2005, 03:28 PM
I'll second that, don't toss anything until the project is done. Sometimes just having the reference is an advantage.

EFI69Cam
10-31-2005, 04:18 PM
Given the sorry quality of most repro stuff, I'd hang onto everything.

The dash pad does not fit right, the urethane pillar moldings look like cr@p, the chrome bits are pitted.

I could kick myself for tossing the dash pad that came in my car, it was a bit warped, but one just like it went for a couple hun on ebay.

67bird
10-31-2005, 04:45 PM
Contrary to what they told you above you can now buy the wiper transmission. Also the weatherstrip retainers are also listed but I am not 100% sure that they are avalible. Two things that I know that aren't avalible are the metal drip rails that weld under the roof skin and the inner rocker supports (if you have a coupe). Also torque boxes aren't avalible unless you buy the full floor. The main thing is to look how far we have come. By the end of next year you should be able to buy a new coupe body (from what I have read on other forums and websites).

Jagarang
11-01-2005, 05:25 AM
They don't make all the weird little rollers and clips that are in, on and through the window glass. I don't know if they are called guides, rollers, tracks, or whatever. Make sure that you keep all the stuff from the insides of the doors and the window glass hardware.

I think you better keep as many of the clips, clamps, etc that hold and route the old harness as possible, keep the harness as well. Many of the clips and stuff aren't reproduced. Alot of the under dash bits and pieces as well.

turner69camaro
11-18-2005, 08:48 PM
Well lets think. The rear seat devider, the front frame (Stock frame), the roller for windows, the section between the rear floor and trunk, The inner areas of the rear window sheet metal, they offer sheet metal shock towers however they have to be cut and reinforced, exact replica am/fm radios. Keep everything that you possibly can and don't worry about fitment.

paul67
11-19-2005, 03:56 AM
Do not sell until you have finnished the car as, you will always need what you have let go.
paul67

killer69
12-02-2005, 11:02 AM
we have just torn one appart and there will be alot of parts that won't get reused. likt the wiper transmissions brake/ fuel line brackets factory console, steering column heater, seats, dash cluster,if any one is interested send me a list of what you are looking for and i will let you know if it is available

AAW
12-02-2005, 12:48 PM
Be very careful tossing things. Some terminals are needed from the old electrical system for example. If its a true restoration, when you get to the electrical part - call us. We'll let you know what you can still use or what you may need to get new. You can always call toll free 800-482-WIRE. Ask for ext 16, Don Bock - our Tech Guy. Or, of course, feel free to send me an email and I'll get you the answers you need.
[email protected]
Theresa

96Z28SS
12-02-2005, 01:06 PM
wiring harness was the first thing in the trash.
So many wires were cut and spliced and burnt up. I didn't even want to think about putting any of it back.

datsbad
12-03-2005, 07:03 PM
Dude , you have no business building a car with a question like this . You dont throw any thing away untill the car is done . Trust me you will regret it .

zbugger
12-03-2005, 10:32 PM
wiring harness was the first thing in the trash.
So many wires were cut and spliced and burnt up. I didn't even want to think about putting any of it back.
Trust me, it can still be of use. As you will be rewiring the car, you can still use that trashed piece as a reference. Not only that, but you can also learn from it. Oh, and don't throw any part away until AFTER you have the replacement for it. That one is from experience.