PDA

View Full Version : 18x9 with stock 2nd gen F-body subframe?

CampbellshotrodsAZ
12-03-2015, 12:39 PM
I hate to be that guy asking this question, but I've gone cross-eyed looking at threads here, there, everywhere regarding 2nd gen Firebird wheel fitment, but I'm still not totally clear on what fits up front. My reason for the sudden urgency to post this thread is that I need to finalize the order on my Billet Specialties Forged wheels in the next week.

As far as front wheel fitment, I see 18x8 doesn't seem to be an issue. I see some people even running an 18x9.5 without much issue, but it's tight (I've pm'd some people to find their B.S., but no responses). I want to install an 18x9 with a 6" backspace. As far as B.S. goes, I seem to see a lot of people running around 5.5-6", so I'd rather run a 6" with a spacer if needed, but what's the consensus with people who have run them, will a 6" clear the frame and suspension okay? I know the stock sway bar will have to go, but it was anyways, and that's something I can change, so I'm not worried about it. This should apply towards anyone with a Camaro too, since they're the same subframe, which is the largest of my concerns. The 18x9 with a 6" BS will offer me 3" to the outer rim for fender clearance, which is better than the 18x8 Boss Motorsports wheels I had with 4.5" BS, and thus 3.5" outer rim clearance, but then again the tires I had were taller for my S10, and might have made the clearances look exaggerated. But that's why I figure the 18x9 with a 6" BS, it'll offer a hair more outward clearance as long as it clears the subframe and suspension.

Does anyone have experience with this? Sound about right? Sorry for the essay, I get long winded with the details sometimes. Thanks in advance!