PDA

View Full Version : Ford 9" for 69 Camaro with g-Link Suspension rear Chris Alston

mean buzzen half dozen
11-27-2015, 10:55 PM
I am in the research stages for getting a Ford 9" rear axle.

What do you guys like & what seems to be a good unit and price overall?

Fab 9? Chris Alston's?

I am thinking of getting 35 spline axles, 3.5 gear ratio, aluminum 3rd member.

I have a 12 bolt but would have to change everything, c- clip eliminators, carrier, gears, new axles, etc, so I would think it would be more cost effective to start from scratch.

Thank you

Schwartz Performance
11-28-2015, 09:33 AM
Moser is probably the least expensive, I'd go with them or Strange personally.

-Dale

Smoker03
11-28-2015, 10:12 AM
I've found that Strange is the best. A little more expensive but the quality is top notch.

badazz81z28
12-01-2015, 06:31 PM
Can't go wrong with Moser/Currie/or Strange. Personally, I feel Moser is much more "newby" friendly and slightly better priced. I didn't know anything about buying custom axles. They made it easy, answered my email inquiries and importantly axles fit excellent. I would have had them build my housing, but felt much better having DSE welding on their own brackets even though Moser told me they would do it.

Z06vet
12-01-2015, 07:23 PM
Just make sure you discuss the gears. If there is an option for a high quality gear set I highly suggest it. Gear whine is common and can ruin your driving experience... A used OE ford gear set in good shape might be your best choice if an upgrade is not available. I have had several situations (myself, & others) where a brand new rear whined horribly. Sadly 2 of them were set up improperly. Be sure to address this who ever you order from.
Scott

mean buzzen half dozen
10-29-2017, 07:22 PM
Just make sure you discuss the gears. If there is an option for a high quality gear set I highly suggest it. Gear whine is common and can ruin your driving experience... A used OE ford gear set in good shape might be your best choice if an upgrade is not available. I have had several situations (myself, & others) where a brand new rear whined horribly.
Scott

I was wondering what gear set to go with for a nice quiet operation?
I am thinking of going with a Moser 9" center section.

Thank you.

rocketrod
10-29-2017, 08:31 PM
I just went through this. I went with a Chris Alston g-link and Fab9 housing as they were the cheapest for the housing ready to go. The price listed on their site includes the brackets and welding them in place. If you go with anyone else, you will have to buy the brackets and pay to have them welded on if they will even do it. I went with Currie for the center section & axles.

btmatt
10-30-2017, 05:52 AM
I used PEM racing for 9" housing, axles, and driveshaft. Very reasonable prices and great turnaround times. I welded the brackets to the housing myself, but they may do it if you ask. I believe I still have the CA fixture to set the upper brackets if needed.145672

mean buzzen half dozen
10-30-2017, 08:31 PM
Thanks guys,
I have the housing & axles.
I also have the fixture to weld in the brackets, thanks for the offer
btmatt. Ran out of mig wire in the middle of tacking in the brackets.:hand:
I was wondering if you guys can recommend a gear set that is quiet for the 9" center section?
For example how about US Gear? Are those quiet?

Thanks again

TINKRD
10-31-2017, 04:25 AM
has anyone bought Fabtech's 9'in housing that they offer? $1500

Installing a RideTech Bolt-On 4-Link into your 67-69 Camaro/Firebird has never been easier with the help of this Currie 9” Rearend which includes the 4-Link brackets already welded to the housing.

Manufactured by Currie Enterprises using their Centurion 9” housing with 3” tubes & billet steel flanges (New Style Big Bearing / Torino). The pinion is offset ½” and the axle flange is offset 2 ½”. Also includes Currie 31 Spline axles featuring 5” x 4 ¾” bolt pattern and ½” studs. Flange to Flange measures the stock 60.5" width.

All 3rd Members feature 9+ Nodular Iron Sportsman gear case with 3.062” main caps, big bearing pinion support and 1330 series short yoke. Also includes True Trac 31 Spline differential with the ratio of your choice. To provide a noise free operation polished ring and pinion and dyno break-in is also included.

This product is built to order and will ship within 2 weeks.

http://www.ridetech.com/images/thumbnails/5357/5357/detailed/19/RideTech_Rear_34_k2q8-1o.jpg

btmatt
10-31-2017, 05:46 AM
Mean, We currently run a used Ford 3.50 set in the Camaro. There is some noise due to the fact we are using the solid joints in the links and we have not installed all of the rear upholstery yet. I do believe that we will eventually get it taken care of and it will be fine

CDR
10-31-2017, 06:03 AM
I have had to quit using US Gear due to noise, especially with the 9". I've been using Richmond Gear with great success for the last year.

BMR Sales
10-31-2017, 08:47 AM
I use Strange in our Torque Arm Kits - Nice Stuff

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif (https://postimages.org/)

Marcus SC&C
11-01-2017, 09:20 AM
The easiest choice for a Glink rear end is the Chassisworks Fab9. Same company, available with brackets prewelded to super close tolerances for a simple plug and play installation. Welding brackets onto a rear end sounds super simple, yet we`ve had to fix so many messed up ones over the years that I`ve lost count... The 3rd member and axles for Fab 9 rears are from Strange, good stuff.
If you don`t want a faceted/fabricated rear though you`ll have to look elsewhere. We offer any of Currie`s rears with prewelded Glink brackets also (9", 12 bolt, 10" etc.). This opens up a lot of possibilities for other housings, even aluminum ones, different thickness axle tubes and other diffs (Wavetrac etc.). This big horsepower guys can even get a plug and play Glink 10" (yes TEN inch) rear end. It`s like a candy store of options. Their brand new Turn 9 lightweight rear ends should be of special interest to guys running track days etc.
As ever, you guys can call our Free Suspension Counseling Service anytime for more info.

TheJDMan
11-01-2017, 02:05 PM
Have you considered installing a 9" floating hub rear end. Since you are buying a complete rear now would be the time to go with a floater. Here is a pic of my Moser 9" floater. BTW, you might consider looking for a surplus NASCAR center section. They are available from a number of places.

dontlifttoshift
11-01-2017, 03:59 PM
I have had to quit using US Gear due to noise, especially with the 9". I've been using Richmond Gear with great success for the last year.

lolwut, did you say that backwards?

mean buzzen half dozen
11-01-2017, 04:46 PM
Thanks guys for the help.
I bought the M9 housing & axles. I'll be welding in the G link brackets.
I am saving up for a center section now.
Where is the best priced aluminum center section w/a Wavetrac?
Steve, your whole set-up is really nice, I would have liked to get the floater set-up but , extra money is hard to come by.

mean buzzen half dozen
11-12-2017, 05:19 PM
btmatt

I welded in the top brackets.
I just want to make sure I weld the lower brackets in the correct position.
Do you weld the lower bracket 4.5 degrees? so basically the mating surface for the third member is pointing up 4.5 degrees ?

Thank you

btmatt
11-13-2017, 10:35 AM
Whew, you are gonna make me work my brain today; I do remember that being correct. it seemed backward at first. but because my transmission tail housing sits below my rear end yoke, the drive line angles balanced fine. Hope this helps. Matt