PDA

View Full Version : Automatic wiper control

gmachinz
10-30-2005, 08:43 AM
Anybody ever use the Raintronic automatic wiper control (#87317, 81718) from Hella? It has a relay and a sensor to detect amount of rain, snow, ect. and automatically adjust wiper speed to keep windshield clear. I've never seen one before and thought about ordering a few for my store but then I read the application chart and it only lists import brands like Volvo, Mercedes, Bmw, etc. No mention of being universal or for domestic cars. The application page goes back as far as early 80's Volkswagens. I wonder how easy it'd be to modify? -Jabin

derekf
10-30-2005, 10:05 AM
I had wondered if such a thing was possible (detect amount of rain and adjust accordingly). If you do order one, post up how it looks?

squid
10-30-2005, 11:12 PM
My mother-in-laws 05 Z4 has it. I have spent some time in it and the auto wiper system is incredible. It works really well. You don't ever have to touch the wiper controls. I would be interested if it could be installed on a 68 Camaro cleanly

gmachinz
10-31-2005, 03:45 PM
I believe Hella makes these for a lot of the higher end auto manufacturers so as soon as I talk to a tech I'll find out what can be doen to modify or install one on a standard GM platform. -Jabin

gmachinz
11-01-2005, 03:50 PM
Well, I talke dwith Hella today and they have stopped production of their automatic wiper control due to lack of interest among the aftermarket crowd it seems. They did make a universal type of control but that, too is no longer available. Weird thing is, this only applies to the US market-they still make them overseas for that market but they have no way to bring them here for so little a demand. Oh, well-I tried. I'll see what else I can dig up on this item though-as in a foreign supplier. -Jabin

Pro-Tour Heavy Chevy
11-11-2005, 07:45 PM
Check this out! You gotta love the internet.
http://www.mps-shop.com/PickupSuvs/product.asp?pf%5Fid=228&dept%5Fid=8110&error=&makemodel=&model%5Fyear=&attr%5Fvalue1=Classic&attr%5Fvalue2=&attr%5Fvalue3=&attr%5Fvalue4=&attr%5Fvalue5=&status=OK&mscssid=DUMMYKQ8GJ168KV441TRD49TQJ6S7V91

gmachinz
11-13-2005, 06:28 AM
But it looks like the same kit offered for OEM BMW's, Mercedes, VW's, etc.-not compatible (yet) with domestic cars-I wish I could find an actual wiring schematic for it-it shouldn't be hard to figure out. -Jabin