PDA

View Full Version : 67 Camaro what suspension to go with ???

cbbrown84
11-14-2015, 09:43 AM
looking for some help what suspension should I go with ?? I already have qa1 front coil-overs.. This won't be a drag car just street fun... I can't make up my mind and I don't want to blow my wallet on it either .. Any advice would help out thanks....

Schwartz Performance
11-14-2015, 12:30 PM
This may be the most commonly asked question on the boards. I suggest searching for this topic or going through the suspension forum section. There are a lot of opinions.

But as a general guide, in order for your question to be answered we need to know your:

-Budget
-Expertise/skill (or if a shop is doing it)
-Intentions with the car (you said street.. Any autocrossing ever?)

-Ridetech has great bolt ons.

Or if your budget is higher,
We manufacture awesome chassis systems for these cars designed with a rack and pinion, triangulated 4-link, big brakes, etc.

-Dale

cbbrown84
11-14-2015, 04:49 PM
Looking for uppers and lowers and a 4 link would like to stay under 5 k with suspension and big brake lot of possible . I would be installing myself .. Knowing how to weld won't be any issue with brackets if needed.. No auto cross with this car ..

TheJDMan
11-14-2015, 06:34 PM
As Dale stated above, you need to spend some time just reading the various threads here on PT and also on Lateral-G.net. You also need to spend time researching the various products offered by our many advertisers. This question gets asked frequently by new members and the answer is always, "it depends". There are far too many choices available on the market these days to give any definitive answer to your question. Only you can decide what will ultimately work for you, for your budget and for your goals. In order to make any kind of informed decision you need to do the research and educate yourself, we cannot do that for you. Myself, I spent the better part of a year just reading and researching parts for my build.

That said, with a 5K budget, you're looking at a bolt on suspension system rather than aftermarket sub frame. Take a look at the Ridetech 48 Hour Camaro build, it will give you an idea of what is possible with bolt on kits at the extreme end. But given your budget, I think you might be a good match for the Ridetech StreetGrip system.

http://www.ridetech.com/garage/new-48-hour-camaro/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKOA0K6H15s&feature=youtu.be

Schwartz Performance
11-14-2015, 06:35 PM
RideTech would probably be your best bet.. However depending on your coilovers they may not mount on the front arms, or have the correct length that Ridetech recommends.

Wilwood is one of the least expensive kits.. Or Tobin @ Kore3 can hook you up with a Corvette style kit.

Feel free to PM me for a quote on Ridetech or Wilwood components. Wheel size matters on the brake kit you go with so that will help to know as well.
-Dale

cbbrown84
11-14-2015, 09:42 PM
Thank you for the help guys...

the owl
11-15-2015, 11:23 AM
I have speedtech setup front and rear and can't be happier with it. Install was easy, I found it to be the most affordable and best performing option.

BMR Sales
11-16-2015, 08:58 AM
We have our Torque Arm Kit that would be a nice addition to your car.

Build-It-Break-It
11-16-2015, 09:09 AM
I have speedtech setup front and rear and can't be happier with it. Install was easy, I found it to be the most affordable and best performing option.

X2 on Speed Tech Performance. Super nice guys with a lot of knowledge.

Decline
11-16-2015, 02:02 PM
5k for a full front and rear suspension with brakes is gonna be tough. If your willing to forego a 4 link I recently saw this on the ridetech website

http://www.ridetech.com/store/ridetech-1967-1969-camaro-streetgrip-system.html

Seems pretty nice with the delrin bushings and composite leaf springs. Its relatively inexpensive at $2500 and would leave money for big brakes and the larger wheels required to house them. Knowing ridetechs reputation for quality and performance I'd be willing to bet this kit delivers the goods

I agree with all above comments on doing your homework. I researched upgrades for about 6 months before pulling the trigger.
Also it would help if we know what your current configuration is. If your bone stock with drums front and rear and an old worn out steering box then I would highly recommend spreading the money around to address as many problems as possible rather than blowing the whole lot on just suspension

*edited - Forgot you already had QA1 front coilovers..Looks like Qa1 makes a front end kit with arms and a sway bar for $1300
http://www.qa1.net/suspension/handling-suspension-kits/gm-handling-kits/67-69-gm-fbody-handling-suspension-kits

Most of the 4 link kits are going to run you around $2k. Theres some black friday deals going on so maybe you can shave a few benjamins off that.
That would put you at roughly $3k and leave a enough in your 5k budget for brakes(and wheels?) as long as you dont go crazy..

Vegas 69
11-16-2015, 02:33 PM
X2 on Speed Tech Performance. Super nice guys with a lot of knowledge.

If OP has a budget of $5K for suspension and big brakes an aftermarket sub is out of the question.

Look at Hotchkis TVS

the owl
11-17-2015, 08:18 AM
My opinion - Don't do Hotchkis, you will just buy something different after when you want adjust ability for a perfect stance.... thats what I did! You don't have to get a whole new subframe you can modify the factory one.

Speedtech Full suspension - $4,399

http://www.speedtechperformance.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=260/category_id=23/mode=prod/prd260.htm

Then all you have to do is Brakes and you have a VERY well performing car.

Build-It-Break-It
11-17-2015, 08:54 AM
If OP has a budget of $5K for suspension and big brakes an aftermarket sub is out of the question.

Look at Hotchkis TVS

If he gets the complete speed tech rear torque arm and reuses his subframe with speedtech control arms etc he'll be within his $5000 budget. He can even upgrade to ride tech shocks.

http://www.speedtechperformance.com/...rod/prd260.htm

He only wants big brakes if possible. I don't think I mentioned an aftermarket subframe.

F-Body International
11-17-2015, 04:03 PM
My opinion - Don't do Hotchkis, you will just buy something different after when you want adjust ability for a perfect stance.... thats what I did! You don't have to get a whole new subframe you can modify the factory one.

Speedtech Full suspension - $4,399

http://www.speedtechperformance.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=260/category_id=23/mode=prod/prd260.htm

Then all you have to do is Brakes and you have a VERY well performing car.

Hate seeing posts like this. I'm waiting on installing my Hotchkis setup. I chose them to achieve a factory installed look with leaf springs and to get some more performance over factory. Hotchkis does seem to have a complete solution for F-Body but we'll see how everything goes on mine. From what I've gathered with leaf spring setups, shock absorbers are the biggest factor for performance.

Ridetech is now offering Hyperco composite leaf springs. This is huge for anyone looking to save weight on the spring itself.

the owl
11-17-2015, 07:03 PM
If you are going for a more factory look and don't want to lower the car more than 2-3" then Hotchkis is fine and will perform past 80% of people's driving skill on a track.

When you want a super low driveable stance and wide rear tires (315+) it is extremely hard to get leafs to work well without rubbing and the adjustability of coilovers is almost necessary if you are as picky about ride height as me. As I said earlier it's all my opinion some will post on here and love leaf set-ups, I tried that route and didn't like it then moved to my current speedtech setup and have never looked back.

And for the original poster, just do a jgc steering box its cheap and works great with a tight ratio. Then you have plenty of options for brakes that won't break the bank. Examples- kore, wildwood, peice together some using V1 or V2 cts-v calipers.

rohrt
11-18-2015, 06:08 AM
I really like my Hotchkis setup. I don't know if they are still the bargain they use to be. Their stuff seems to have gotten pretty expensive anymore. The new fox shocks give a good blend of drive ability and performance plus I can keep the stock look of the car. To me the stance is spot on too.

However on my other Firebird I plane to go Ridetech.

Depthrecordings
11-19-2015, 10:55 AM
I went with SPC front control arms and Koni shocks. Rear I went with Chris Alston ChassisWorks G-link, the Fab9 and verishock coil overs. I have wilwood brakes all around. I don't want to talk about the cost, lol

I will say save your money and get what you want. It took me about 4 years to save up for that stuff, but it is all worth it in the end.

lucky13firebird
11-20-2015, 08:23 AM
Kore3 is hard to beat for great budget brakes... i'm pretty much in the same boat for suspension though... i have 4 wheel disc brakes and hotckis big block front springs and 5 leaf rear leafs... and hellwig 1 1/4 inch front sway bar...performs way better than stock and was cheap. but as my factory parts continue to wear i'm scraping together the money for some control arms. I will not be going with hotchkis simply because i cannot afford them and also was trying to keep using the same stock drum spindles i have been using for years now...

First chance i can i'll be swapping out my uppers for bmr control arms with the taller ball joint. Then a month from then i'll be swapping out the lowers too.

Then i'll be redoing my floors and adding in bmr subframe connectors, the "weld-in" type...

But those kinda options only work if you dont mind non adjustable ride height and such. Although the 2" lowering springs sit just right for me, your mileage may vary.

Rick M
11-22-2015, 07:56 PM
If you want the car to sit low stay away from the leaf springs. I've bought Hothkis and DSE and I'm still not satisfied with the height. My car is not going to be a track car more of a resto mod. At this point I wish I would have stuck to what I know.