PDA

View Full Version : Need a little clutch help, please?

formula
10-29-2005, 08:35 AM
So last easter I made the (questionable) decision to order a tko500 kit from kiesler for my firebird. Upon arrival I determined that my old saginaw four-speed's input shaft was a different spline from the new tko. I swapped to a centerforce dual-friction (another questionable decision in retrospect, I know) and decided to go ahead and throw in their throwout bearing too.
Well, something like 900 miles later, the bearing is shot. Can you guys make any reccomendations towards a nicer, more reliable throwout bearing? It seems like mcleod is the hot ticket these days...

what about clutch forks? I can't seem to find a nice aftermarket fork anywhere....

by the way, just out of curiosity, since I always like to improve instead of just repair...what all would it take to switch to a hydraulic setup instead?

thanks a ton, guys

GMJim
10-29-2005, 01:33 PM
Formula
A McLeod 16010 or a Hays 70-101 are excellent release bearings to use. Did you have free play at the top of your pedal travel? No free play will shorten the life of the release bearing and cause premature wear. In your application I would use a stock GM fork but a McLeod fork will be stronger. Some modification to the floor may be necessary to allow fork travel in some cases. If I were you I would stick to the stock linkage. Hydraulic setups can be problematic (leaks) and unless you have clearance problems due to modifications I woul stay with the stock linkage. If you have anymore questions feel free to call me..
Jim

formula
10-29-2005, 09:36 PM
actually I've had weird problems with free play the whole time with this clutch... it'll be adjusted perfectly, then after a little use, will feel tight again, so I'll readjust it further out, and it'll get tighter, and so on...which has me pretty nicely baffled.

GMJim
10-31-2005, 06:36 PM
After the clutch is broken in you should only require one more adjustment. At least for a while. Check to see that your lock nut or jamb nut is tight after adjustment. It might be backing off while your driving.
Jim

formula
11-01-2005, 03:29 PM
i thought the same, that it had to be a loose nut, but I've had to adjust out so far now that I'm close to out of travel.

I kind of want to just pull it apart and see what's up....but EEESH what a hassle without much more than some little tire-changing jacks.