PDA

View Full Version : LT1 accessory brackets

LT1Nova
09-15-2004, 03:20 PM
I have a 95 Camaro LT1 in a 71 Nova with the factory brackets. I am using a AC delete pulley but would like to run Vintage Air AC w/o notching the frame.

I have looked at Street & Performance and March bracket kits. I prefer the March low & wide. I do not care for the Vette setup.

Eventually I would like to put some sort of boost on it, not sure if it will be a Procharger or a turbo or two.

I am looking for some pics of what people have done in the past for custom brackets with and without a power adder.

69Myway
10-01-2004, 03:16 PM
Couple of thoughts for you as I have been going through this.

#1, notching the frame is not that difficult. Go to my website and click on the 69 Camaro now tab to the left. www.mcspeed.homestead.com (http://www.mcspeed.homestead.com)

#2, If you want to run a supercharger and factory brackets you will need to get a bracket set and balancer from a Caprice or Impala then run one of these:

http://www.cmotorsports.com/94-96-impala/superchargers.html#supercharger-systems

The caprice LT1 brackets are very much like the F body, except they sit a bit further forward as the impala/caprice has the same problem as the early camaro/nova on the cross member clearance.

Just FYI, it looks like I am now going with an LS1. I have obligated to buy a 95 cop car with all the correct brackets. I will be parting that car out, so if you decide to go this route and can't find parts, just give me a shout.

MuscleRodz
10-01-2004, 09:48 PM
I am having the same dilema. There is no good accy system for the LT1. FYI, the Sanden compressor will not bolt up to the factory brackets. I was also told that the V/A system doesn't like to work with the factory compressor either.

Mike

LT1Nova
10-02-2004, 10:58 AM
I did not really think to see which compressor the VA system likes or doesn't.

I'll see if the VA system likes the stock compressor. I may be interested in the Imp/Caprice system if it will work and involves less cutting into the subframe.

69Myway
10-02-2004, 05:16 PM
I did not really think to see which compressor the VA system likes or doesn't.

I'll see if the VA system likes the stock compressor. I may be interested in the Imp/Caprice system if it will work and involves less cutting into the subframe.
Okay, I should get that car in the next week or so and start figuring out how I am going to cut it up. I am in the final stages of parting out an 81 Vette via ebay at the moment and will replace that spot in the yard with the cop car.

69Myway
10-22-2004, 12:19 PM
Just got the cop car. Undecided about what to do. The motor starts and runs, but the body is trashed. The complete system is there, so I don't know if I want to break it up or not.

It would do the trick for you though.

LT1Nova
10-22-2004, 03:09 PM
Let me know what you decide to do and if you want to split it up what you want for it.

I am in no rush.

Thanks.

ILLEGAL69
12-03-2004, 10:01 AM
I am also try to fit a 96 LT1 with a factory sanden 515 compressor into a 69 Firebird.

I dont want to spend all kinds of money on a shinny chrome bracket set up, besides its not the look I am going for.

I dont think notching the frame will be enough, to me it seems the compressor will hit the motor mount.

Has any one had any luck with a caprice bracket set? If so what are the GM part numbers.

69Myway
12-03-2004, 01:57 PM
Let me know what you decide to do and if you want to split it up what you want for it.

I am in no rush.

Thanks.
I ended up selling the entire motor/trans/computer, etc. as a package deal.

69Myway
12-03-2004, 02:00 PM
I am also try to fit a 96 LT1 with a factory sanden 515 compressor into a 69 Firebird.

I dont want to spend all kinds of money on a shinny chrome bracket set up, besides its not the look I am going for.

I dont think notching the frame will be enough, to me it seems the compressor will hit the motor mount.

Has any one had any luck with a caprice bracket set? If so what are the GM part numbers.
It will fit with the F body. I first prepared my frame for the LT1 with F body brackets and a/c. I made a simple frame notch. Test fit and made it all work. THEN....I decided to go with an LS1, which changed EVERYTHING.

In between then however, I realized that I could use the LT1 cop car brackets and run the Pro-charger set up for the Impala SS. That got me thinking...but, the LS1 at the time was too good of a deal to pass on...so...........

Got to my site www.mcspeed.homestead.com (http://www.mcspeed.homestead.com) and look at the 69 Camaro tabs. You will see my initial test fit with the compressor and frame notch on the LT1.

69Myway
12-03-2004, 02:44 PM
Here is the pics:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/12/test_fit_side_viewJPG-1.jpg

69Myway
12-03-2004, 02:45 PM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/12/notch_front_viewJPG-1.jpg
Front View

69Myway
12-03-2004, 02:45 PM
You will notice the notch goes right up to the motor mount stand:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/12/notch_side_viewJPG-1.jpg

LT1Nova
12-03-2004, 04:29 PM
Thanks for posting the pics.

I still have not decided what i want to do.

Tony Huntimer had done an LT1 with perimeter bolt valve covers that I want to use (Chevrolet race or fab alum) and he was able to use them by switching to a CS130 alternator which I have done and moving everthing away from the block using spacers and a balancer spacer from S&P. I think I can make all this myself as I have access to a machine shop. At that point I would not have to cut into the sub frame as far.

69Myway
12-03-2004, 04:37 PM
Thanks for posting the pics.

I still have not decided what i want to do.

Tony Huntimer had done an LT1 with perimeter bolt valve covers that I want to use (Chevrolet race or fab alum) and he was able to use them by switching to a CS130 alternator which I have done and moving everthing away from the block using spacers and a balancer spacer from S&P. I think I can make all this myself as I have access to a machine shop. At that point I would not have to cut into the sub frame as far.
Jon,

I tell you the truth, cutting the subframe was far easier than I initially thought. I started the cut with a whiz wheel then opened it on up with a sawsall. I took a couple of pieces of 1/8" plate and cut to shape and welded them in. I think I spent about 2 hours total on that part of the project.

You want to know what is funny? Since I went LS1 I got the BPR mounts and his a/c sanden F body conversion bracket. Believe it or not, this LT1 notch helps with the LS1..but, I had to still grind and clear a tad more out. Who would have thunk it?

awr68
12-04-2004, 08:55 AM
Jon if you are refering to Bob Spears' camaro remember he didn't have AC and I'm sure the delete pully takes up far less space... it sounds like you know you will still have to notch the frame some (for the AC comp.) even with spacing everything off the block though....

Did Tony do a different LT1/camaro install??

LT1Nova
12-10-2004, 08:09 AM
Yes, it was Bob Spear's Camaro (I could not remember his name at the time). I am not doubting that I will have to notch the frame, I was just meant I hoped it would be less because of the spacing out for the valve cover clearance.

I tore my car apart last night for the Vintage Air install, hopefully I will get some things figured out soon.

69Myway
12-10-2004, 08:37 AM
Yes, it was Bob Spear's Camaro (I could not remember his name at the time). I am not doubting that I will have to notch the frame, I was just meant I hoped it would be less because of the spacing out for the valve cover clearance.

I tore my car apart last night for the Vintage Air install, hopefully I will get some things figured out soon.
A bit off topic, but a couple of things I can share on the VA install.

I am attempting to make it as invisible as possible. I already had a notch cut in the passenger kidney bean/side cowl for a power antenna. I opened that back up, built a special bracket and mounted my drier and heater valve inside. I am running the lines out of the firewall HIGH in the upper corner to conceal them. They will run up there out of the way and only turn for the low side on the compressor. I am running the high side through the passenger frame rail out to the condenser.

The drier can be mounted inside or out. It does not sweat, so no moisture worries.

Just thought I would share in case you are looking for the totally hidden stealth air look.

LT1Nova
12-10-2004, 02:15 PM
I had not thought about running the line through the frame rail, good idea. I am going to run as much as possible inside the fender to conceal it.

Got any pics?

69Myway
12-10-2004, 03:30 PM
I had not thought about running the line through the frame rail, good idea. I am going to run as much as possible inside the fender to conceal it.

Got any pics?
I don't have them posted yet, but can email if you like.