PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler Fan

Champster
10-19-2015, 05:55 PM
What are your thoughts? I live in San Diego and have an LS3 (435hp) in a '68 Camaro with an OEM radiator. It cools fine. Fans turn on at 185 it never overheats or goes above 195 even on hot days with the AC on full blast. I have an external oil cooler as well that has no thermostat and thus is on all the time.

I know you can cool the oil too much and don't have a oil temp gauge, but what would you say about a small 6" fan on the oil cooler that can be manually turned on and off for those crazy hot situations like during stop and go traffic on hot days (yes sometimes it gets pretty hot here in San Diego).

TIA
Paul

Yelcamino
10-20-2015, 04:27 AM
Without an oil temp gauge there's no way to know if you need the fan. Oil needs to get to 220* for condensation to start evaporating - so you don't want to over cool your engine oil. Read more here... (http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/1310-engine-oil-temperature/)

Champster
10-20-2015, 06:47 PM
Thank you, Herb. This is what is so great about this forum. I knew this but had slipped my mind when posting the question. I appreciate your help!

Sean Cooke
10-21-2015, 03:41 AM
Really benificial to get an Oil temp gauge, I've notice oil stays within 20 degrees or so of the engine water temp. It's also a great way to spot a problem starting to happen - I'm in Oceanside if you need hand adding the temp gauge or wiring

Yelcamino
10-21-2015, 03:56 AM
Thank you, Herb. This is what is so great about this forum. I knew this but had slipped my mind when posting the question. I appreciate your help!

You're welcome Paul!

Champster
10-21-2015, 06:26 AM
Really benificial to get an Oil temp gauge, I've notice oil stays within 20 degrees or so of the engine water temp. It's also a great way to spot a problem starting to happen - I'm in Oceanside if you need hand adding the temp gauge or wiring

Thanks Sean. I see you're selling your Chevelle. Beautiful car! One of the pics is in a shop on a rack. What shop is that?

H2Ogbodies
10-23-2015, 04:30 AM
If using a high quality synthetic such as Mobil 1 or Amsoil, you really don't even have to worry about the oil temp. Amsoil for example doesn't begin to break down until 600F.