PDA

View Full Version : Help. manual master cylinder recommendation

corvettekid1973
10-19-2015, 01:33 PM
Hey guys I am wore out fixing bugs on my project now that it's drivable. I Have a 69 camaro with C5 front and rear brakes. I was using a 4th gen F boby booster and MC. Well the booster was bad and I just want to simply go with manual brakes. Can someone please recommend a aluminum master cylinder that will work... I can't afford a aftermarket Wildwood right now

malibudave
10-26-2015, 06:25 AM
These two master cylinders are from a Dodge Shadow are the only ones that I know of that are aluminum and low cost. ALWAYS measure the bore of the master cylinder before you buy. These master cylinders are notorious for incorrect advertised bores. If the bore says 21, it most likely will come with a 7/8" bore and rarely will come in a 21mm bore. If it is advertised as a 7/8" bore it will almost always come with a 24mm bore. Sometimes these master cylinders will come in a cast iron version, so make sure you know what you are getting.

Dorman part number 39451 is advertised as a 21mm, but it will come as an aluminum bodied, 7/8" bore master cylinder and are "fresh" and haven't been sitting on the shelf for long periods of time.

21mm (0.826”) bore 1993 Dodge Shadow master cylinder (other years and models may work)
• 3/8-24 outlets - Outlets Exit on Driver's Side
• Mounting holes spaced 3.25” versus GM master cylinder’s 3.375”.
• Hard to find.
• Light in weight.
• Advertised as 21mm, but may be delivered in 7/8” or 24mm bores. Measure bore size before you buy. Rebuilt/Used ones will have a “1” cast into the front of the aluminum body under the reservoir.
• Can buy new or used. New ones are fairly cheap to purchase.
• Usually an aluminum body – new, used, or rebuilt.
• Large reservoir can hold enough fluid for rear disc brakes.

7/8” (0.875”) bore 1993 Dodge Shadow master cylinder (other years and models may work)
• 3/8-24 outlets - Exit on Driver's Side
• Mounting holes spaced 3.25” versus GM master cylinder’s 3.375”.
• Easier to find.
• Light in weight.
• Advertised as 7/8”, but may be delivered in a 24mm bore. Measure bore size before you buy.
• Rebuilt/Used ones will have an “8” cast into the front of the aluminum body under the reservoir.
• Can buy new or used. New ones are fairly cheap to purchase.
• Usually an aluminum body – new, used, or rebuilt.
• Large reservoir can hold enough fluid for rear disc brakes.

andrewb70
10-26-2015, 10:49 AM
Another good alternative that is virtually bolt in is the 15/16" bore 1977 Malibu MC.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=113115&cc=1054909&jnid=506&jpid=11

Andrew