PDA

View Full Version : 69 camaro build

JParsons13
10-16-2015, 07:49 PM
I am currently planning a build of a Pro-Touring 69 camaro. I am not a master mechanic so I'm learning as I go. I'm trying to get a lot of what I want done to the car planned be fore I go through with it.

My plans include
- Brand new LS3 motor with supercharger
- disc brakes all around
- upgraded performance suspension

i am not a mechanic by any means but I'm learning. I was wanting to know if anyone could give me thoughts or ideas or any type of feedback on my plans. I have a certain vision for this car and I was it done my way and I know it will take a lot of money and that's why I'm in no big hurry. But please and ideas or thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

cbpldc
10-17-2015, 05:11 PM
I'm not an expert by any means, but I've done a lot of reading on this site. What I've found is that there are a lot of options for "an upgraded suspension". Are you okay with the stock geometry? What do you want to do with this car when you're finished? I've seen a lot of guys upgrade their stock parts, go racing, and decide they want something entirely different to accomplish a goal they simply didn't have when they went at it the first time around.

Have you acquired the car yet? What is your budget? A supercharged LS3 will certainly be a nice mill, but will you go crate, used drop-in, or rebuilt forged internally?

For your front end, will you be simply upgrade the sway bars, control arms and buy some new spindles and C5 brakes? Or will you go with an entirely new subframe?

Lots of questions, and not a lot of answers, but hopefully it will help you determine your direction and budget for this car.

Chris

parsonsj
10-17-2015, 07:30 PM
Welcome, and good luck with your build.

I'd recommend you save the supercharger for later. The LS3 will be a lot of fun already, and you can use the supercharger money for suspension, brakes, or safety equipment.

KB Camaro
10-17-2015, 09:52 PM
i would recommend you start with a full frame or sub frame and 4 link rear and then build everything around the suspension set up. I went backwards, starting with motor first and boy was that a mistake.

AB69Z
10-18-2015, 05:16 AM
I'm actually in about the same position as you are. I acquired a perfect 69 RS body several years ago and have been contemplating a build for some time now. I also know what I want out of the car after contemplating this build for some time now. The idea of some input on selecting all the correct parts required would certainly eliminate the things I'm not clear on.

bcampbell2858
10-18-2015, 05:28 AM
Hey JParsons,

I'm also at about the same position you are. It's good to put a lot of thought into what you want to do, what you think you can handle, and how you expect the car to perform when its done. With the amount of rust/rot on my car, I have no choice but to tackle a lot of body work first on my car. But as others have said, always think several steps ahead. If you have to replace floors/trunk etc...are you planning to tub the rear end? There are sheet metal parts (modified frame rails/trunk/tubs) that all work as a kit to help save you time.

On the other hand, if the body is in great shape, do what KB was saying and start building the car around the suspension you want. Existing or new subframe? Coil over 4 link or an upgraded leaf spring setup. I've only been involved in my project for a couple of months and with the amount of research I've done, I can tell you that anything is possible. All the parts are available for anything you want to do. All depends on how much time and money you want to spend and how you'd like the car to perform!

Have fun!
Brian

BuzzKillian
10-18-2015, 07:23 AM
There are a Lot of great companies making some REALLY cool and functional parts. If you want to go in stages DSE, Ridetech, Morrison, Speedtech, UMI all make good stuff. You Should probably stick to one manufacturer as their systems tend to be designed to work together. Some of the different options are more labor intensive that the others.

If I was to do another car (especially as bad as mine was to start with)I would look at Roadster Shop or Schwartz full frame. I'm not sure if there are others available as I type this. Roadster Shop claims theirs to be a bolt in. This way would give you the strength in the chassis you'll need for the horsepower you're talking about. All kinds of options for brakes, and better geometry. I know what I spent on piecing my stuff together and don't think you'd be too far off that, with superior results.

AB69Z
10-22-2015, 06:42 AM
I am currently planning a build of a Pro-Touring 69 camaro. I am not a master mechanic so I'm learning as I go. I'm trying to get a lot of what I want done to the car planned be fore I go through with it.

My plans include
- Brand new LS3 motor with supercharger
- disc brakes all around
- upgraded performance suspension

i am not a mechanic by any means but I'm learning. I was wanting to know if anyone could give me thoughts or ideas or any type of feedback on my plans. I have a certain vision for this car and I was it done my way and I know it will take a lot of money and that's why I'm in no big hurry. But please and ideas or thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

Any luck with this?