PDA

View Full Version : EFI fuel injection

KEV 190164
10-10-2015, 09:43 AM
hello all. I have a 2nd gen trans am fitted with a t56 magnum and a buick 464 around 550hp . I am thinking of going efi fuel injection what are the pros and cons. what do you think. kev

bryant
10-10-2015, 06:40 PM
the cons of efi few if any. probably the installation complexity compared to a carburetor is the biggest.
lots of different ways to go efi.
lately the most cost effective way i have found is fitech efi. Its very affordable, very easy to install, and very flexible on engine configurations.

TheJDMan
10-19-2015, 04:57 PM
I have heard nothing but good things about the FITech throttle body EFI systems. Quality units at very reasonable prices.

chpr1972
10-21-2015, 08:01 PM
Just went a little crazy and put a Holly HP EFI on my car. Cost is the main factor. Tanks tank and pump and fuel sender was close to $600. The cheap earls fitting in -8 an are expensive. If you are going to TBI instead of TPI you may save a little, I used 4 45 degree fitting on my TPI at the fuel rails $42 each and $150 for 25 ft of -8an flex line for the high psi side and use the old 3/8 fuel line for the return. Then there is conversion fitting 8an to 3/8 and special fitting at the fuel psi, plus the cost of fuel filter and regulator. I probably have about another $500 bucks in the in the fuel system excluding the tank and pump.
I went crazy and put a tunnel ram on a 496 BBC with 2 throttle bodies and individual injectors. cost about $3600 to $3700. That includes modifying the tunnel ram for the injectors and a extra throttle body at about $900. If you buy a ready made TPI single 4 intake and so not have to buy a second throttle body you will probably save about $1100 to $1200 bucks. I followed instructions and the only problem I had was the throttle bodies came from the factory with the secondaries adjusting screw would not let the rear butter flies close.

1967ls2
10-26-2015, 07:10 PM
LSX. Only way go. Factory fuel injection.

MonzaRacer
12-13-2015, 07:28 PM
Im gonna use an LT1 intake on my 283 twin turbo for Cheap Trick, I have two consecutive project ideas, my first idea is Megasquirt 3, an DID from a Northstar V8, custom dual crank sensor setup and custom cam sensor.
My plans on the LT1 set up to oil pump drive is a stub that bolts in, but I have seen a couple used in older blocks. I have seen one with an extended shaft, it held a disk with a magnet to trip a cam sensor. Me I figure Ill use an old dist shaft, make a new stop for it and set the endplay. My plan is to use a front cam journal from a sbc cam, drill and press it on the shaft, use the dowel pin like many GM cars use and a simple cam VR cam sensor and run it to the module.
My second choice is same DIS but I got a 93 S10 computer and harness. Cool thing is GM has used same HEI ignition signal strategy since HEI came out.
I have used parts from old used efi cars with FI pumps, to modify stock pickups, even cut tanks open to install the baffels.
You just have to under stand what your working on, I have found later model tank modules work on as they have the plastic can around the pump to keep pump cooled. You find one that has appropriate length, opening and pump volume. Cut the top opening out and weld it to old tank.Most of the new modules can collapse quite abit, then you make sure pump will feed what you are running.

KEV 190164
12-29-2015, 12:12 PM
just come across this kit . http://www.jegs.com/i/FITech-Fuel-Injection/546/30008/10002/-1?parentProductId=3538345#moreDetails . what do you think. will this work with my tanks efi tank and pump and sending unit which I already have.

andrewb70
12-29-2015, 12:58 PM
...will this work with my tanks efi tank and pump and sending unit which I already have.

Yes it will.

Andrew