PDA

View Full Version : 80 Camaro Build

MTZ28
10-05-2015, 06:12 PM
Finally getting around to starting my build thread. Three years ago, I bought my 1980 Z28 and promised my wife I would enjoy the car as is. Well...things change, thank goodness for an amazing wife. The car had rust in the floor and trunk, so Nov, 2014, I pulled the car in the shop for disassembly.

MTZ28
10-05-2015, 06:33 PM
I decided to replace my 80 floor with a 70-73 floor. Was surprised to find that they do not make a full floor for the later 2nd gens. I was originally going to do everything myself, but decided for the sake of time, to have a restoration shop replace the floor and trunk. I really regret this, but oh well. Here is the before and after pics. Check out the beautiful fiberglass work from the previous owner. I still need to do some modifications and the roll cage before the seam seal and paint.118037118036118035118034

MTZ28
10-05-2015, 07:01 PM
Next on the list was the suspension.

After hours and hours and hours of internet research and reading this forum, I decided to go with Custom Works 2G suspension kit. Along with their subframe connectors, solid body bushings, and 2G bar. I also upgraded to front viking dual adjustable coilovers, and viking dual adjustable rear shocks. I really appreciated Keith in helping me pick out my suspension. So far, I have my rear leafs mocked up on my rear differential and I'm currently working on the front subframe. Hopefully, I'll finish welding in the upper coil over brackets and 2G bar this week. Then prep and get some primer and paint on the subframe. Here's some pics of my #1 Ace mechanic, rear leafs on the diff (only pic I have is in the background behind my new welder), and how the upper coil over brackets look (I don't claim to be a good welder). I was impressed by how well the coil over brackets fit, and how easy the mod is. 118040118041118044118043118042

MTZ28
10-05-2015, 07:20 PM
For the rear differential, I decided to go with a Quick Performance fabricated ford 9", 3.89 ratio, Detroit trutrac, 31 spline QP axles, 1/2" arp studs, caltrac brackets and Kore3 C5 rear brakes. I'm really happy with how it turned out, can't wait to get it under the car. I'm equally curious/nervous on how the wheels are going to look, bought them new/used. I thought they would be good for mockup, but I ended up with smaller brakes because I got cheap. Oh well, at least I'll get it on the road a little faster. 118049118054118055118056

MTZ28
10-05-2015, 07:23 PM
Aeromotive fuel pump installed. This system installed really nice in the stock tank IMO.118057

KHShapiro
10-08-2015, 05:54 PM
Looking good so far

MTZ28
10-08-2015, 08:52 PM
Thanks, I really appreciate that I can post my simple build amongst all the amazing projects on this forum.

bs46488
10-09-2015, 11:58 AM
Looks good.

What's the plan?

rhurley
10-09-2015, 12:19 PM
Looks good!! Glad to see the QP 9" I also just ordered one for my Mustang, just waiting for it to arrive. Hows the quality look?

MTZ28
10-09-2015, 07:47 PM
Looks good.

What's the plan?

Thanks

Short Term(12 months)
Finish suspension, brakes, paint/undercoating on everything except exterior(sleeper), 6 point roll cage, finish fuel system, run old 350/350 combo, old interior

Long Term
Stroked LS2
T56 magnum
Interior

Extended Long Term
Exterior body, never stop making it better

Had to check out your projects, and found one of your quotes that started "yes you can". This is exactly why I regret not doing my own floor and trunk replacement. Wouldn't of been perfect, but much more gratifying. My roll cage is the last thing I will hire out, safety is my first concern. Your 72 is a great project.

MTZ28
10-09-2015, 08:14 PM
Looks good!! Glad to see the QP 9" I also just ordered one for my Mustang, just waiting for it to arrive. Hows the quality look?

Appreciate it.

I'm very happy with the quality, keeping in mind their price points. I feel like I received a lot of value for the money. I would definitely purchase another. I'll be really curious to hear how you like yours, not a lot of reviews out there.

MTZ28
10-11-2015, 01:04 PM
I was able to finish all my mods on the front subframe this weekend. Finished welding in the coil over brackets, I'm running steel bushings on the stock lower control arms. The aluminum coil overs are going to really pop against the satin black paint.
Welded the 2G bar on the front, I didn't get crazy with the welding on this one in case I need to remove it at a later date.
Since I have a 80 subframe with a 70-73 floor I had to move the the rear body mount farther back. I boxed in the frame where the old mount was accessed. Was going to try and add some more structure to the rear of the subframe, but decided that welding the subframe connectors to the frame would be sufficient. Do you guys for see any problems with this?

MTZ28
10-20-2015, 08:40 AM
Found some time to modify the front spindles for the Kore3 C6 brakes. I'm so impressed with the quality of Kore3 products, would highly recommend.

Here's a pic comparing the stock hub/rotor with the C5/C6 325mm rotors.

Motown 454
10-20-2015, 09:00 AM
Nice progress. I agree about KORE3 products and Tobin is great sorce of information.

MTZ28
12-22-2015, 11:59 PM
Well, hunting season is over, time to get back at it. I decided to have the subframe blasted and powder coated. I think I'm going to do more powder coating wherever I can, which was not the original plan. I also picked up some lizard skin, 2 gal SC, 2 gal CL, and the applicator gun.

I am using spc uca's with tall ball joint and stock lowers, steel on steel lca bushings. Viking double adjustable coil overs, and hellwig sway bar. Now I need to get new grade 8 hardware and tighten everything down.

Jimbo1367
12-26-2015, 07:28 AM
Very cool build. I lover the 80-81 Z-28s. Would you mind PMing me with the cost of powdercoating the subframe? I need to have mine SB and PC'd too.

Thanks,
JIm

MTZ28
12-26-2015, 09:38 AM
Thanks Jim, pm sent.

syborg tt
12-30-2015, 05:58 AM
Great update and I am really liking the front suspension set up.

NOT A TA
12-30-2015, 07:41 AM
Coming along nicely!

I used a 81 subframe in a 70 body so I've been through moving the body mount holes in a late style frame. Using a late frame with the early rear body mount position you'll notice the way the frame metal is overlapped and welded inside the frame where the new mount hole is will cause a solid body mount to be tipped inside the frame. You may want to make a spacer shaped to fit so the body mount bushing sits flat inside the frame. Depending on the frame connectors you have you'll probably also need to trim the indentation at the rear of the frame rail on one side to slide the early style frame connector into the rail. Hopefully you have frame connectors made for the early style body mount.

In the pic below you can see the spacer I put in mine and how the rail's been trimmed to slide in the connector. I fully boxed mine afterward and trimmed the bushing between the body and frame to compensate but that might be overkill. Details of all the frame mods (done so far)are in my build thread.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2015/04/016_zps1fk3myfh-1.jpg (http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/The%2014%20Car%20Performance%20Therapy/016_zps1fk3myfh.jpg.html)

MTZ28
12-30-2015, 11:21 PM
Great update and I am really liking the front suspension set up.

Thank you! Nothing fancy...but I like it.

MTZ28
12-30-2015, 11:35 PM
Coming along nicely!

I used a 81 subframe in a 70 body so I've been through moving the body mount holes in a late style frame. Using a late frame with the early rear body mount position you'll notice the way the frame metal is overlapped and welded inside the frame where the new mount hole is will cause a solid body mount to be tipped inside the frame. You may want to make a spacer shaped to fit so the body mount bushing sits flat inside the frame. Depending on the frame connectors you have you'll probably also need to trim the indentation at the rear of the frame rail on one side to slide the early style frame connector into the rail. Hopefully you have frame connectors made for the early style body mount.

In the pic below you can see the spacer I put in mine and how the rail's been trimmed to slide in the connector. I fully boxed mine afterward and trimmed the bushing between the body and frame to compensate but that might be overkill. Details of all the frame mods (done so far)are in my build thread.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2015/04/016_zps1fk3myfh-1.jpg (http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/The%2014%20Car%20Performance%20Therapy/016_zps1fk3myfh.jpg.html)

I like what you did better than what I did. Instead of adding material I just removed enough so the solid body mount would sit flat. I'm planning on using Custom Works 2G sub frame connectors. Going to weld connectors at subframe, floor, and rear frame rails. Haven't test fit connectors yet, but plan on adding metal to box in the rear of the subframe once connectors are in.

MTZ28
12-31-2015, 12:03 AM
I was able to get the subframe buttoned up for now. Still need a steering gear, so my old idler arm will help me roll this thing around. On to the next project, need to get seats ordered and roll bar. I'm between corbeau cr1's and lg1's. I was set on the cr1's, but I've heard the lg1's fit the 2nd gens well. Nobody stocks these seats anywhere close to where I live, I'm 6'3" 225lbs. I'm nervous about buying seats without trying them out. For the roll cage, I'm thinking auto weld 6 point, with road race style door bars. I'm also thinking of adding a seat belt bar for the rear seats, 5 point harness so I can still have a functional back seat and feel ok about it. That's the plan for now, have a great New Year.

NOT A TA
12-31-2015, 08:59 AM
Those connectors look nice! I have the some old CE imitations I bought back in the 90's that slide inside the sub frame and mount to the rear spring pocket. I've since modified so they have a small bracket that bolts to the rear rail but won't be as good as the ones you've got there that weld directly to the rear rail.

MTZ28
01-09-2016, 09:10 PM
I think I've narrowed down my roll cage options, decided to go with a 10 point through the dash. Going to make a phone call to Auto Weld Chassis and S&W Race Cars for some last minute questions to make my decision on which company. I also decided to go with Corbeau LG1's for seats.

The only thing I've managed to get done is build a tubing straightner for 3/16". No way I was going to spend $85-300 for a simple straightner. I used patio door rollers, nylon spacers, boat cleat, and 2" aluminum strap. This thing works amazing.

F-Body International
01-09-2016, 09:28 PM
Nice Build! I dig the coil over mod.

Pt109
01-10-2016, 01:00 PM
I just re-read thru your build as I had missed a few things the first time. That is a prettty cool tool you made, and it looks as though you are a great welder. Mine do not look quite so nice, but at least they hold. I like the mods you made on the coilover brackets. Looks like your coming along nicely. I subscribed to your build and look forward as you progress.

HeadInTheClouds
01-10-2016, 01:23 PM
Keep up the good work! Nice to see a build from Montana! Ill try and check back for updates!

MTZ28
01-10-2016, 01:31 PM
Nice Build! I dig the coil over mod.

Thanks, I really like the extra work your putting into your car to keep the factory/sleeper look

MTZ28
01-10-2016, 01:38 PM
I just re-read thru your build as I had missed a few things the first time. That is a prettty cool tool you made, and it looks as though you are a great welder. Mine do not look quite so nice, but at least they hold. I like the mods you made on the coilover brackets. Looks like your coming along nicely. I subscribed to your build and look forward as you progress.

First off, I see "RANGERS LEAD THE WAY", thank you for your service.

Thanks for the kind words. Looking at other people's welds on this forum...I'm afraid to post pics of mine, definitely got a lot of room to improve. Look forward to seeing some pics on your build.

MTZ28
01-10-2016, 01:49 PM
Keep up the good work! Nice to see a build from Montana! Ill try and check back for updates!

Great to hear from another guy from MT, just met Pt109 a couple days ago, great guy. Us Montana guys have to stick together, we're kind of a minority on this forum.

Paraman1
01-10-2016, 02:28 PM
Just checked out your thread , looking good !

Just got done turning my rear axles down for the Kore3 z51 rear brakes so its good to see someone elses installed for motivation .

FirebirdSteve
01-10-2016, 03:26 PM
Nice work!
Cute kids too!!!

HeadInTheClouds
01-15-2016, 05:53 PM
Great to hear from another guy from MT, just met Pt109 a couple days ago, great guy. Us Montana guys have to stick together, we're kind of a minority on this forum.

What side are you on? It only takes like 10 hours to drive across the state. Lol. I'm in the northeastern part. I'm only like 10 blocks from the Nd state line. Sparsely populated over here.

MTZ28
01-15-2016, 10:09 PM
What side are you on? It only takes like 10 hours to drive across the state. Lol. I'm in the northeastern part. I'm only like 10 blocks from the Nd state line. Sparsely populated over here.

I'm also in the NE, pm sent

Pt109
01-16-2016, 11:31 AM
Well at least there are 3 of us now that we know of. I see we have some of the guys north of the border and some arent all that far away, atleast by our distance standards. I went to a 4th of July celebration a couple of years ago they are just 6 houses east of me. However it is 18 miles to get to that neighbors place. Told some friends of mine that from the city and they thought I was just teasing them. When we get our cars on the road we need to see how long it takes from Idaho to North Dakota, try and trim that 10 hour thing down. :drive: LOL

MTZ28
01-29-2016, 09:29 PM
When we get our cars on the road we need to see how long it takes from Idaho to North Dakota, try and trim that 10 hour thing down. :drive: LOL[/QUOTE]

Definitely down with that, great idea.

MTZ28
01-29-2016, 09:30 PM
Nice work!
Cute kids too!!!

Thank you Sir.

MTZ28
01-29-2016, 09:52 PM
Been a little slow around here, but managed to get a few things done.

Removed the front clip, and removed all the components off the firewall. I was a little afraid of what I was going to find on the lower cowl. Luckily the only rust was a small spot on the bottom of the drivers lower cowl. New drivers side cowl panel in the mail.

MTZ28
02-03-2016, 06:56 PM
Made some brake lines for the rear diff. Used 3/16" cunifer from fedhill, highly recommend. Very easy to work with, make great flares.

MTZ28
02-03-2016, 07:02 PM
My impulse buy, an LY6 with 36,000 out of a FedEx van. It had a really questionable story, but the price was right, so I took a chance.

MTZ28
02-03-2016, 07:27 PM
This is what I found, the rest of the engine is in great shape. No damage to valve or pushrod.

I've had a really hard time trying to decide what to do with the rotating assembly. The LY6 is a 9.6:1 compression engine, and the majority of cams I look at, looks like it hurts my torque with the low compression. I was planning on ditching the vvt, but unsure now. I can mill the heads and go with a .040" head gasket to pick up some. I'm not a huge fan of milling the heads very far. If I do pistons I might as well stroke it. Looking for donations if anyone is interested.

Anybody with cam knowledge please put in your two cents. It looks to me, all these high horsepower cams are going to really hurt low-mid range torque(which i expect). They're is a lot of really aggressive cam profiles out there, and why do they all run such stretched out durations between the intake and exhaust. I thought this would be easy, but I think this is going to take a little thought. I think I need to spend some more time on the lsx forum.

What I plan on using, so far: LS3 intake, dbw throttle body, leaning towards Mast Motorsports M-90 ecu, gm corvette accessory drive, hooker motor mounts.

Pt109
02-03-2016, 09:09 PM
I got the m-90 and a cam for my ls3 and a vintage air front runner set up, actually just got the vintage today!!!!!! Just finished the cam swap and changed valve springs etc and put rockers back to gether tonight. I wish i could be helpful on the engine stuff but just dont have enough knowledge. I dont know if youd be interested but I have the factory cam from my engine and it was out of an 2015 Camaro SS, they are rated at 420 hp. Supposed to be very low mileage. I sure wont need it, timing chain set etc. Have yoiu talked to Mast Motorsports about your cam/engine stuff? They are very helpful. I commend them for the 5 milion questions they have answered for me. Good luck!!

HeadInTheClouds
02-04-2016, 12:40 PM
A lot of new progress. It really helps having a heated work area up here. Where did you score that engine? Ebay? Know there isn't much of a selection out here for junkyard / classifieds buys. Looks like you jumped right into the long term build.

As far as the engine goes, how much do you want to spend changing the compression? I know machine shops are spread out in these parts increasing costs for engine work. Wouldn't it be a head or piston swap to change up compression? Why not just get a lsa take off supercharger for it:eek:

MTZ28
02-04-2016, 10:10 PM
A lot of new progress. It really helps having a heated work area up here. Where did you score that engine? Ebay? Know there isn't much of a selection out here for junkyard / classifieds buys. Looks like you jumped right into the long term build.

As far as the engine goes, how much do you want to spend changing the compression? I know machine shops are spread out in these parted increasing costs for engine work. Wouldn't it be a head or piston swap to change up compression. Why not just get a lsa take off supercharger for it:eek:

Surprisingly...I found this on ebay, where everyone wants new prices for used engines. I think I have a preliminary plan, and it might actually involve a ZL1 supercharger.

chevelless502
02-04-2016, 11:00 PM
Fellow 80 camaro owner here. Great build you have going.

MTZ28
02-10-2016, 09:59 PM
I was able to start to tackle some rust repair fun and found a little bit more. I thought the upper dash/cowl panel was in great shape until I removed the windshield. Found rust at the bottom corners where the windshield is glued. Ordered a new panel and a spot weld cutter set. I never thought it would be so hard to find all the spot welds and hit them dead on. This is the first time I've ever done anything with body work, definitely out of my comfort zone. I also need to work on my depth control, as you'll see in the pics. Roll cage should be here by the end of the week, can't wait to dive into that project.

Pt109
02-14-2016, 07:18 PM
I feel your pain with th rust. I have been doing some media blasting on my car to see what I have... well lets just say alot of work. I will definately be getting lots of practice. First thing was I had to blast some areas just to find the spot welds. Then others just disappeared when I hit it witht the blaster. All we can do is hammer away at it. Good luck!!!

Jimbo1367
02-15-2016, 07:32 AM
Nice progress. Where did you source the side cowl panels? Top cowl? My Camaro is stalled at the same point. Both side cowls off and top needs replacing. I like the LY6. Same engine as mine. You started with ALOT NICER car though. LOL.

Keep up the great work.!!!

MTZ28
02-15-2016, 01:35 PM
Nice progress. Where did you source the side cowl panels? Top cowl? My Camaro is stalled at the same point. Both side cowls off and top needs replacing. I like the LY6. Same engine as mine. You started with ALOT NICER car though. LOL.

Keep up the great work.!!!

Thanks, the upper cowl I got from summit, OER part #K842, $159.97. The drivers side outer cowl panel I got from classic industries part #B1073L, $58.99, fitment is really nice. Summit just dropped the price on the upper cowl panel, I think I paid around $175.

What are you doing with your LY6? Keeping the vvt? If so, what controller and cam are you going to use?

MTZ28
02-24-2016, 10:59 AM
Found some time to start on my roll cage. I ordered a 10 point from auto weld chassis, 1 3/4" x .120" DOM. So far, fit looks pretty tight. The main hoop is wide enough I had to make a floor brace that would incorporate the floor and rocker. I wasted a bunch of metal trying to make multiple bends in one piece, they worked...but not perfect. So I made a two piece, the top/rocker bracket sits on top of the floor plate. The hoop will be notched, it will have 1 1/4" on top of the rocker, 1/2" on the floor plate. I'm planning on adding some gussets from the floor plate to the rocker bracket for some added strength. Does anybody know if I'm breaking any roll cage no no rules by doing it this way.

MTZ28
02-27-2016, 10:32 PM
My 10-bolt cage is currently a 4-bolt tacked into place. My halo bar is way too short to work as is. After having it mocked in place, not sure I want a halo bar now. I'll get another one bent and see. Here's some pics of how I'm sitting now.

MTZ28
02-27-2016, 10:53 PM
I was able to get my daughter to double check some of my measuring. I didn't get a chance to snap a pic of my 3 yr old son...he was mad because i wouldn't let him run the pipe notcher. This is how he felt all day today...:ripped:

Jimbo1367
02-28-2016, 08:08 AM
What are you doing with your LY6? Keeping the vvt? If so, what controller and cam are you going to use?

Keeping it stock for now. BUT with car intake and 90mm TB. I am running the OEM '08 Silverado HD ECM. I had Speartech build me a harness with a trans module. They also retuned the normal stuff to the ECM for standalone use. I will use the stock VVT cam for a while then probably have Patrick G (LS1tech member) spec a new VVT cam. He has had good success with them and really good success w/ LS3 heads. He really knows the timing events rect. port heads like.

The pic w/ your daughter is adorable. Keep up the great work!!!

Pt109
02-28-2016, 08:17 PM
The picture of your apprentice is priceless. Thats a keeper for sure. Sorry to hear the poor liitle man didnt get to run the notcher but his time will come. Of course at that age 5 minutes is longer than eternity. Roll bar is looking great. It doesnt look like there is any room for the halo bar for sure. Have you tlaked to the guys at Mast Motorsports about your engine? They told me some things about the vvt engine you might want to talk to them about. I talked to Damon in the tech dept. Great group of guys there. Might be worth a call.

MTZ28
09-11-2016, 08:32 PM
I haven't abandoned my project, been crazy busy this summer with my business. Parts are starting to roll on in, hopefully have some updates coming soon.

MTZ28
09-11-2016, 08:41 PM
Getting some help from my main man, getting the new steering gear installed. I got him some mechanic gloves for shop time, we've had a hard time getting them off. Proud Dad.

MTZ28
09-11-2016, 08:57 PM
Had a future project fall in my lap.

1957 Buick Roadmaster 4 door hardtop, no rust!

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2016/09/imagejpg2_zps8nook9ft-1.jpg (http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/clneufeld/media/image.jpg2_zps8nook9ft.jpg.html)

MTZ28
10-24-2016, 07:06 PM
No updates as far as the camaro goes...but I was able to knock off one of my items on my wish list. Super excited to have a two post lift in my shop. My previous career was an automotive tech, and there was not a day in my shop that I didn't miss having a lift. I went with a Challenger CL10V3 lift, and I couldn't be happier about it. My camaro is definetly moving up in the world...literally. (The wiring is temporary)

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2016/10/imagejpg2_zpsfiix5h6o-1.jpg (http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/clneufeld/media/Camaro/image.jpg2_zpsfiix5h6o.jpg.html)

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2016/10/imagejpg1_zpsvtfg3sh3-1.jpg (http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/clneufeld/media/Camaro/image.jpg1_zpsvtfg3sh3.jpg.html)

syborg tt
10-25-2016, 07:27 AM
Sorry, these are the best pictures in this thread.

I was able to get my daughter to double check some of my measuring.
I didn't get a chance to snap a pic of my 3 yr old son...he was mad because i wouldn't let him run the pipe notcher. This is how he felt all day today...:ripped:

Getting some help from my main man, getting the new steering gear installed. I got him some mechanic gloves for shop time, we've had a hard time getting them off. Proud Dad.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2016/10/imagejpg3_zpsgd7odlq5-1.jpg (http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/clneufeld/media/image.jpg3_zpsgd7odlq5.jpg.html)

MTZ28
10-27-2016, 08:27 PM
Sorry, these are the best pictures in this thread.

Sorry???....... Best compliment I've received on this forum, thanks.

berdunord
10-28-2016, 12:06 AM
very nice built ! interesting your roll cage from autoweld chassis, I didn't know this website

syborg tt
10-28-2016, 06:02 AM
Sorry???....... Best compliment I've received on this forum, thanks.

Yep, your car pics are great but when you have your family, your kids and or any other little person helping on your project that makes the pictures so much more special.

Thank you for sharing the pics.

rfalker1
10-28-2016, 03:26 PM
put the kiddos to work! nice project

MTZ28
10-28-2016, 06:52 PM
very nice built ! interesting your roll cage from autoweld chassis, I didn't know this website

For the money, I'm very satisfied with them. Their website looks like it was designed in the 80's, but it works.

Yep, your car pics are great but when you have your family, your kids and or any other little person helping on your project that makes the pictures so much more special.

Thank you for sharing the pics.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I showed my kids what you posted, they think they're pretty big stuff now. I think it's great.

put the kiddos to work! nice project

Thank you

mc84_zz4
10-31-2016, 11:26 AM
Great project, the roll bar mounting looks good to me, but I'm not technical in that area.
Great job involving the kiddos, they will remember these times forever, my kid was in Kinder enjoying tools and using the crawler, years later he gets to learn how to drive in the car.... B-I-G grins, priceless.
Garage builds rock!

MTZ28
01-13-2017, 07:54 PM
Great project, the roll bar mounting looks good to me, but I'm not technical in that area.
Great job involving the kiddos, they will remember these times forever, my kid was in Kinder enjoying tools and using the crawler, years later he gets to learn how to drive in the car.... B-I-G grins, priceless.
Garage builds rock!

Thanks, kids definitely add to the build. Kids turn your car into more than just a car.

MTZ28
01-13-2017, 08:07 PM
Started getting the subframe connectors in. When aligning the subframe for connectors install I found that my previous rear body mounts holes were off. When the shop replaced my floor they blew the holes out with a plasma cutter that I tried to salvage, they were off but I thought they would be close enough. It would of always bugged me even if they would of worked, so I'm glad I had to address it. Cut out a section of subframe and welded in a replacement panel, measured and cut out new body mount holes. Now my subframe is aligned and all body mounts are perfect. I received a new welding helmet for Christmas so Jake was able to watch some welding for the first time.

MTZ28
01-13-2017, 08:22 PM
Decided to go with DSE subframe connectors and try/trying to sell my Custom Works 2G connectors. I switched because there's no doubt the DSE connector will provide more structural stiffness, better ground clearance, and provide another great foundation for the cage to be tied in. They took me a lot longer than I expected, they're definitely worth the work though.

MTZ28
01-13-2017, 08:25 PM
I picked up some DSE mini tubs from a member, so that's the next project.

berdunord
01-14-2017, 01:03 AM
awesome ! congrats, another road killer :)

MTZ28
01-18-2017, 09:01 PM
awesome ! congrats, another road killer :)

Thanks, I sure hope so

MTZ28
01-18-2017, 09:15 PM
Started the minitub install.

Jimbo1367
02-11-2017, 04:06 PM
Looking good. DSE makes some nice stuff. Keep up the great work !!!

SRD art
01-02-2020, 11:31 AM
Very cool build Curt. It's nice to see a later 2nd gen being built to this extent among the flood of 1st gen and early 2nd gen cars. The T-tops are particularly cool! This will be a very cool ride when it's done, looking forward to seeing more!

MTZ28
01-03-2020, 08:34 PM
Very cool build Curt. It's nice to see a later 2nd gen being built to this extent among the flood of 1st gen and early 2nd gen cars. The T-tops are particularly cool! This will be a very cool ride when it's done, looking forward to seeing more!

Thank you, looking forward to working with you on a rendering.

I’ve had to put the car on hold for awhile due to life’s roadblocks, but I’m ready to get back at it. Some exciting parts will be on there way very soon.

SRD art
01-04-2020, 02:16 PM
Awesome can't wait to hear what's coming. I'm looking forward to working with you too. Not only can a rendering help you sort out the visuals, seeing it every day hanging on the wall or on your computer desktop does a great job of keeping the progress motivation moving forward.

Pt109
09-12-2020, 07:38 PM
Hey Curt!! Have been this about you and wondering how your progress is going. I had to put my Chevelle on hold and am now trying to decide weather to continue it just sell the whole project. I have spent soo much money on it and am afraid I will lose a lot of money. So will see how it goes.

Zspoiler
09-12-2020, 09:48 PM
Looks like you are progressing nicely Keep up the good work