PDA

View Full Version : Ramjet 502 under cowl hood

BillyBobL71
09-15-2004, 01:17 PM
Will a Ramjet 502 fit under a 69 Camaro Cowl hood?

Thanks,
BillyBob

jonny51
09-15-2004, 02:04 PM
I have seen it done,not sure if they had to lower it though.

rockdogz
09-16-2004, 09:50 AM
I'm hoping it will fit under the stock 2" cowl hood - that's what I'm planning on doing. According to the literature, it's a "half an inch taller than a typical single plane high rise manifold, Holley carb and air cleaner combo." Let's hope that single plane high rise manifold doesn't have a 1" spacer on it... I will probably have the fenders/hood by the end of the month and can start mocking it up.

pushrod243
09-19-2004, 06:35 PM
I have a ramjet 502 in my 69 Nova. I just recently set it in the car. I am currently fitting headers and then send the out to get coated. I still have to mock up the pulleys etc. Anyhow the pic shows it is about even with the cowl in my car. I have a 4" cowl hood so no problems but i believe I would be ok with o 2" hood as well. https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

rockdogz
09-19-2004, 11:50 PM
Wow, that looks sweet. Nice polish on the manifold. I can't wait to get mine mounted.

camcojb
09-20-2004, 06:37 AM
I would think it won't but I've never tried. The overall height is okay back where the carb would sit on a normal engine. That will fit up into the hole in the cowl hood for the air cleaner. The problem area would likely be up at the front where the throttle body is; that would be outside of the air cleaner hole and is nearly as tall. Maybe with an aftermarket fiberglass hood that did not have the inner structure on it.

Jody

pushrod243
09-21-2004, 12:05 PM
yes i think you are right that a stock cowl hood may hit because of the underhood supports. Mine is a bolt on fiberglass hood so theres nothing there. It will be a tight fit and may take slight modifications to fit. But I doubt if you will know for sure until you try. If you need specific measurements let me know. I'll try to get them off my motor.

my69rocks
09-29-2004, 08:49 AM
You can always have someone who works with metal fabrication modify the metal hood if you wanted to use the metal hood as compared to fiber glass hood. Thats what I'm considering and have been told is do able.

rockdogz
10-14-2004, 09:35 PM
Mocked it up tonight. Keep in mind I have a Chassisworks front clip so it may not mount the motor in exactly the same spot as a stock front subframe. Anyway, you need about 2 1/2" of clearance for the front of the intake where the throttle body is to fit. There may be enough room if you cut away part of the inner structure of the hood. I already have my metal hood, so it looks like that's what I'll be trying...

my69rocks
11-19-2004, 08:34 AM
Well how is it coming along. How much if any modifications had to be done?

mruders
01-02-2007, 05:56 PM
:drive1: Still can't get an answer on whether a 502 ramjet, on a stock chassis will clear a factory steel cowl hood-even if I modified the inner skin. Thanks