PDA

View Full Version : The opposite of what most folks want.

Damn True
10-25-2005, 10:26 PM
I'm looking to have my car be as quiet as possible w/o hurting power. Can anyone recomend an exhaust configuration?

derekf
10-26-2005, 03:00 AM
I'm looking for the same thing.

I know an X-pipe quiets it down some. Not so sure about muffler selection though, I haven't gotten that far.

rumblee
11-02-2005, 03:40 PM
use 4 large high flowing mufflers. it will be heavy, but will breathe quietly.

BonzoHansen
11-02-2005, 05:50 PM
I always found dynomax products on the quieter side. And use and x or h pipe. Maybe some high flow manifolds (sandersons maybe) instead of headers? Just thinking out loud.

68Formula
11-02-2005, 06:31 PM
Depends on your engine requirements, but if you're 350ci to 427ci you could do:
From collectors, use 2.5" pipes into
X pipe into
2 Dynomax muffers (2.5" inlet/ 2.25" outlet) into
2.25" tailpipes routed over axle and out the rear

The smaller tailpipes should decrease sound level without significant penalty to overall power output.

I'm not most people either.

MuscleRodz
11-02-2005, 06:53 PM
Most quiet performance systems today use 4 mufflers or 2 mufflers and 2 resonators. Depending on the vehicle, it could be hard to do. I also like a quieter system for cruising, but want it to wake up when I stand on it.

Mike

Steve68
11-03-2005, 03:07 AM
I bought Rhino RPM mufflers, supposed to flow better than Flowmasters and are quiet, but I also have Dr.Gas X pipe and Manderal bent tail pipes and NOT one piece is installed so I can't tell you how quiet they'll be,

CAMAROBOY69
11-03-2005, 05:02 AM
Just use what the Mule has. Thats the quietest muscle car I have heard in my life and it has over 1000hp. You seriously can barely hear it running. :eek:
I know it is stainless steel exhaust, headers, 2 mufflers... x-pipe..

parsonsj
11-03-2005, 05:24 AM
If you want to know more about the Mule's exhaust, go visit Stainless Works (http://www.stainlessworks.net). They built it.
jp

USAZR1
11-03-2005, 01:38 PM
Just use what the Mule has. Thats the quietest muscle car I have heard in my life and it has over 1000hp. You seriously can barely hear it running. :eek:
I know it is stainless steel exhaust, headers, 2 mufflers... x-pipe..
Twin turbos are a big reason it's so quiet.

Travis B
11-03-2005, 01:48 PM
Twin turbos are a big reason it's so quiet.

yup.....low compression and the cam profile in a turbo engine make them very quite

astroracer
11-04-2005, 04:40 AM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
I just re-read the exhaust article yesterday... If you haven't read this you should borrow/steal a copy and look it over. Lots of good info here and it answered a bunch of questions I had...
Mark

parsonsj
11-04-2005, 07:30 AM
That's one of my favorite issues too. The exhaust article (by David Vizard) was excellent! Love the Nova and front suspension articles too. :)

jp

astroracer
11-04-2005, 09:04 AM
Love the Nova and front suspension articles too. :)

jp

Just 'cause you know the guy... :bsjerk:

:)
Mark

Damn True
11-04-2005, 10:06 AM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
I just re-read the exhaust article yesterday... If you haven't read this you should borrow/steal a copy and look it over. Lots of good info here and it answered a bunch of questions I had...
Mark

Is the article you mention shown on their site? I can't seem to find anything like what you are speaking of.

astroracer
11-04-2005, 11:43 AM
It's not on the site... If you don't have the mag go to your library and get some copies of the article or maybe you can sweet talk Jon into sending you his... Signed of course... :firefire:
Mark

skybu
01-19-2006, 06:36 AM
I am getting ready to try something different on this car. I have fought with it for awhile in my mind but I think I am going to go ahead and do it.
I am going to put a fuel cell in the trunk and remove the gas tank in order to get more room under the car for mufflers. The exhaust on the new 2005 mustangs kinda gave me the idea.
I currently have 40 series flowmasters with tail pipes that exit out the back behind the tires. (2.5" system)
Once the gas tank is out of the way I will have enough room for large body mufflers at the rear of the car. I have used the dynomax hemi turbos(20" body) on other cars with good results but on this car I didnt have room to put them in the standard location.
I will also have the option of running 4 mufflers instead of 2 because I can still run small mufflers ahead of the axle in conjuction with another muffler at the rear of the car.

streetk14
01-24-2006, 11:23 AM
I'm looking to have my car be as quiet as possible w/o hurting power. Can anyone recomend an exhaust configuration?

A guy I work with just sold a '70 Camaro that had a really nice exhaust system. I'm sure it wasn't cheap, but it sounds like what you are looking for. I believe it was a full 3" system. It had a set of bullet (dynomax?) type mufflers mounted in the usual location before the axle. Then he had a set of regular case turbo style mufflers mounted at the rear below the bumper/valance area. He had the mufflers mounted sideways so that most of the case was hidden by the tail panel. It looked cool and was very quiet for a 550 hp big block. I think the whole system was either polished stainless or ceramic coated, but it looked awesome. On top of all that, he had electric cutouts to bypass the mufflers when he wanted to make some noise. Very nice setup but like I said, not cheap. Also, I think you need to run a fuel cell to make room for the rear mounted mufflers. Hope this helps,
-Andy

hotroddr
01-24-2006, 08:44 PM
I couldnt find a picture of this but you might try what the new Z06 has. They have a set of mufflers each with 2 tips exiting them. At normal cruise only one tip is open on each muffler, when the load increases all of them open up causing the exhaust to flow free and the noise to increase. You have quiet exhaust most of the time with free flowing loud exhaust when you need it.
Maybe you want quiet all the time though...in that case 2 resonators and 2 super turbos and a crossover. This is according to what I have read so I cannot tell you from experience. There is a formula for the propor volume of resonator for your engine...I can get it if you need it

David Pozzi
03-17-2006, 06:45 PM
Here's the Vizard article:
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/hardcore/0505em_exh/index.html

Tom Welch
03-29-2006, 05:47 PM
Walker quiet flow mufflers work great and are a straight through design. so minimal back pressure and low noise, also the Walker 17749 muffler works really good. Go to the Pontiac street performance site and read the tech articles about exhaust. They have test results for several different mufflers.

Damn True
08-02-2007, 02:25 PM
Been a few months since we discussed this. Wondering if anyone has had any success in putting together something that is as quiet as possible w/o hurting the power. I don't mind a good howl at WOT, but I'd like idle and cruise to be very tame.

Chad-1stGen
08-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Just thought I'd add that i have the Dynomax mufflers + X pipe + full tailpipes dumping behind rear tire and they are pretty quiet. Not like an OEM car but much quiter than most hotrods / muscle cars.

the camtender
08-02-2007, 06:21 PM
3" w/x pipe to magnaflows (previously had flowmaster 2 chamber)and tail pipes.With the slowmasters,they always got people to turn heads at idle and they would ask how big is the motor (509" big block) Now with the magnaflows,car guys would bet its a mild small block,that is until I hit the loud pedal.
I know I picked up hp w/ change and the interior noise level is way better than w/ the slowmasters.I like it!!

Jerry

Z06vet
09-13-2007, 06:35 PM
I have a magnaflow 2.5" header back system with Xpipe on my 69. It fit pretty well & looks good. Came with all hardware and hangers. Polished mufflers are straight thru & is whisper quiet cruising down the road. Deep mellow tone when you get on it. Look up Performance Peddler on ebay. They have some great prices & usually free shipping. Cost me $50 to have it installed.

chicane67
09-13-2007, 08:30 PM
Sure... call Jeff over at Borla.

I did a mid engine 420cid Vortech'ed small block in a Porsche 944 a few years ago... making around 900hp... and you didnt even know the engine was running when it drove by. Considering that the mufflers were right off of the headers (which they also made) you would never think that you could possibly have a chance trying to quiet down 900+ hp.

They succeeded. It wasnt cheap, for that chassis, but something of the norm like what we run... might just be a direction to consider.