PDA

View Full Version : Tig Tips

Camaro Zach
10-25-2005, 09:57 PM
if you have any tips or questions post up and maybe we can help eachother out or Matt can show us all up lol.. :hail:

Matt - i figured out why my previous 2 attempts were poor, the tungsten was not sticking far enough out of the cup. I had it about 3/16" and it should be about 3/8" (for this cup, yes its massive) Also found some 3/32 filler.

I think i had it a bit too hot and again the weld is too large. And i was experimenting with some different hand positions so some are a bit wavy ~~~

Does it look like i should be doing anything drastically different? or just fine tune from where i am at.

68protouring454
10-26-2005, 04:36 AM
looks good, i am no matt, but i may be able to help.
what thickness metal is that?? filler looks too large, it looks like you got the handle on it so i would go down to 1/16th filler, also use 1/16th tungsten, red stripe top, is 2 % thoriated, and 3/8 is way too much tungsten sticking out, usually maybe 1/4 at most, what is your gas flowing at?? around 15-20 is good for steel, also get a gas lens collet body as it dispearses the gas so much nicer and is a huge difference, you will need some gas lens collet bodys also, gas lens's are like 3-4 bucks, but well worth it. also get some super clean metal as tig is very sensative to rust, grinding disk left on metal and so on, maye get some 1/8 plate thats new and just wipe down and weld no griniding.
nice work

Camaro Zach
10-26-2005, 01:26 PM
Day 3.
That metal was 1/8" and yea the filler is too large but it is all we have at the moment. I dont remember the diameter of the tungsten but it is the Red. and 3/8-1/4 is not too much for this specific torch if its shorter there is no way you could weld a t-joint. The gas is about 20 and im pretty sure the torch im using has a gas lens collet body on it, ill take a pic tomorrow when i assemble it. The new 1/8 plate we have is all hot forged so it requires grinding anyways.
here is my 2nd bead today (first one was dialing in the machine) but i think again the weld is too large and too concave but my instructor was impressed and jealous haha. 3/16" plate and 1/8" filler (because thats all i could find today)

68protouring454
10-26-2005, 01:52 PM
i have talked with matt in great lengths about al of this for a few years.
he never recomends having more than 1/4 of tungsten stiking out no matter what gun, you want the collet body about 1/8th off work so you get good gas coverage, this is why it is so important to be in a very comfortable position when welding, as you want torch about straight up, maybe at most a 15 degree angle, but goodluck, looks good
jake

Matt@RFR
10-28-2005, 12:44 PM
Jake, meet Zach. Zach, meet Jake. :) Two good friends of mine, via the internet.

Zach, looks DAMN DAMN good bro. I don't have much time right now, but we'll talk after SEMA for sure. Keep at it. And yes, you are using a gas lens right now.

Jake, he's using a big ass cup on the torch, so the tungsten stick out is required to get it into the throat of a fillet.

68protouring454
10-28-2005, 12:47 PM
i like deep throats

Travis B
10-28-2005, 12:55 PM
i like deep throats

:cheers: I thought they were a necessity....lol

Camaro Zach
10-28-2005, 03:34 PM
hahaha

thanks matt, have fun at Sema

Camaro Zach
11-11-2005, 02:35 PM
pretty much havent tigged since my last post since i was recruited in class to teach the 2nd year students how to mig weld

but found a piece of 1/8" stainless plate in the scrap bin so i decided to try out tigging it. sorry do not know the alloy**
think i should go a bit faster and space my swoops or (((( out farther, what do you think? slowed down at the end and got a bit hot too

Matt@RFR
11-11-2005, 06:13 PM
...recruited in class to teach the 2nd year students how to mig weld .
Did that come with a pay raise? :)

think i should go a bit faster and space my swoops or (((( out farther, what do you think?
No, and no. Aside from a very slight lack of consistency in bead width, I would hire you tommorow. Size and coloring (heat, arc length and gas coverage) are spot on dude.

Your challenge for next time: With the same settings and smaller filler, run a weld half that size. :)

Mean 69
11-11-2005, 06:35 PM
We could use a really good fabricator at our place. The one we have is "pretty" good, but everytime someone tells him his welds look good, he gets all googly-eyed, and he needs a torch stuck up his booty to bring him back down to earth. Worst of all, I am not allowed to do ANY welding in my own damn shop anymore, it just doesn't seem fair.

So. Cal. isn't as bad as outsiders make it seem, you know.
Mark

Matt@RFR
11-11-2005, 08:42 PM
Get back to work.