PDA

View Full Version : C10 Leaf Spring Upgrade Options?

__Z__
09-08-2015, 08:18 AM
I have been helping a friend of mine with his 78 C10, he really would like to upgrade to a set of performance leaf springs (as opposed to going parallel or triangulated 4 link), he would like a set with a double bearing system, however neither of us can really find squat for leaf spring upgrades for a 73-87.

Can anyone point us in the correct direction?

RobNoLimit
09-09-2015, 05:12 AM
There are none to my knowledge. The first hurdle is the OE lengths and mount points. The shackle is a 'load carrying design' (up to the spring) not a 'progressive' design (down to the spring) and the leafs are somewhat short. on the Black Widow Exhaust S-10 we used Chrysler style (oval track, Speedway motors) 180 lb springs. We fabbed the front mounts to use a bearing mount, and mounted the rear of the leaf with a 'slider' (more oval track stuff). On the S-10 we canted the springs in in the front to help corner exit bite. Don't forget, you still need a good set of shocks, we used Ridetech HQ smooth bodies. This is about the best we could make it and still have it be very simple. It still has some 'brake-in' wheel hop (if you really lay on it) and could use a panhard rod for more precise corner control. But, for Bill's Drift and Exhibition runs, it works very well. Look up Black Widow S-10 on you tube. Now, with all that work to get a leaf to perform somewhat, there lies a good argument for a 4-bar or 3-link. - Yes, we have these at No Limit, but I'm not trying to push a sale here, just trying to pass on some truth.

__Z__
09-09-2015, 05:22 AM
Rob, I appreciate the knowledge. Seeing the increased amount of work and $$$, one can almost argue a weld in parallel 4 link with panhard would be cheaper and simpler, no?

I may push the 4 link option a little harder, as I have seen plenty of well priced options as of late.

RobNoLimit
09-09-2015, 04:05 PM
I would think so. I added it up, and springs, bearing mounts + bearings, spring sliders come to appx $580. Add in $150 to fab front mounts and slider mounts (could be more) and $250 for shocks and your at $980. Our Fatbar complete kit with RideTech HQ coil-overs runs $1175. May not be cheaper, but you are comparing a suspension that 'sorta' works for $890, to one that kicks ass for $1175.