PDA

View Full Version : Possible Ridetech Tru Turn issue on installation on Camaro?

Erik Beckett
09-01-2015, 07:21 PM
So tonight I finished the install on my Tru Turn on my 68 Camaro. Everything seems smooth except for one issue:

1. The passenger side tie rod end that bolts into the top hole on the Tru turn bracket won't tighten up. The nut went way past the cotter pin hole and now the nut and tie rod are spinning together and I can't loosen them either since they are spinning together. Almost like the tie rod stud was to small or the hole in Tru turn was too big. I can wiggle the tie rod slightly, I assume there should no wiggle room at all.

Thoughts?

Erik

dirty rick
09-01-2015, 07:30 PM
Zap the nut with an impact gun should remove the nut.

Is the nut the same size as the other side? Tie rod ends can have different stud sizes.

Failing that pop the other side off and compare studs and hole size.

Erik Beckett
09-02-2015, 03:10 AM
There is no way to get an impact gun up in there. I might have to remove the whole damn unit and see what it is up. This bolt on suspension has been more than a pain in the ass then I expected, especially aft all the great reviews.

I will mess with it some more and if I have to take it all down then I guess I will.

Thanks Erik

dirty rick
09-02-2015, 01:03 PM
If it bolts together with no problems, you are missing something! :^)

Rod
09-02-2015, 05:21 PM
the nut and tie rod are spinning together and I can't loosen them either since they are spinning together

the taper needs to seat in order to allow the castle nut to tighten.....just use a wood clamp and clamp the tie rod to the tru-turn bracket to apply pressure.....

. The nut went way past the cotter pin hole

you put washers under the castle nut to get the hole and castle nut to work correctly for depth alignment its common thats how you get the cotter pins set on any suspension as needed

Erik Beckett
09-02-2015, 06:21 PM
So I took the bracket down and took both tie rod ends off. I swapped ends just to see how they fit in the opposite hole and I got the same thing. The passenger side is larger then the drivers side. You can wiggle the passenger side after tightening with a wrench and the drivers side is snug just finger tight. I will call Ridetech in morning and see what they have to say.

Thanks, Erik

TheJDMan
09-02-2015, 06:52 PM
Call Ridetech!

bret
09-03-2015, 07:06 AM
I think I would like to see that whole assembly back here. Can you take off the whole steering linkage and send it back to us? We will either fix it or replace it. Pretty critical part..it needs to be right. We will turn it around the next day after it arrives. My direct email is [email protected].

MonzaRacer
09-03-2015, 09:46 AM
I think I would like to see that whole assembly back here. Can you take off the whole steering linkage and send it back to us? We will either fix it or replace it. Pretty critical part..it needs to be right. We will turn it around the next day after it arrives. My direct email is [email protected].

Straight from head hot rodder himself!
If I had an opinion either its part boxed wrong OR the taper was reamed too deep. But keep us all posted on this one.

shmoov69
09-03-2015, 07:58 PM
Ride Tech is good peeps Erik and they will take care of it I'm sure. All companies have problems, it just separates the good companies from the bad companies when and how problems are handled. I know it's a pain in the rear to not have it together when you wanted, but I'm sure Brett will make it right with you somehow. Good luck and let us know what happened when you get it back.