PDA

View Full Version : Mustang guys! Our 67 Mustang alternator is not working?

CAMAROBOY69
10-25-2005, 03:28 AM
I thought this new title might pull some Mustang guys in here to help with this. Hopefully. Just delete the other thread.
This 67 Mustang is about as basic as it gets. Straight 6 engine. With that said there is a black a white wire on the back of it in the same plug. One seems to be a positive and one is a negative. As easy as that sounds this thing will not stay running with the battery out. It is not charging the battery. Could the voltage regulator be the problem because I think its the only electrical item left thats not new for the ignition system. Any help would be appreciated. This is all thats keeping it from daily driving.
It starts and runs without even hitting the gas and idles. Runs damn good.

Stangonline.com
10-25-2005, 06:15 AM
voltage regulators are very common problems. I've replaced a couple in my old 68.

Jeff

CAMAROBOY69
11-02-2005, 05:11 AM
I will get a new voltage regulator but I have one final question. Where does the red and black wire hook to by the alternator? Looks like someone cut it but I am not sure where it goes on the alternator. It comes from the bottom of the voltage regulator.

yody
11-05-2005, 07:34 PM
have you checked the alt to see if works or not?????

CAMAROBOY69
11-07-2005, 04:23 AM
The alternator was brand new. Like I mentioned above all I really need to know is where the red and black wire goes. It was hacked off and I am not sure if its a ground or if it goes on one of the studs on the back of the alternator. The next time I work on the car I will just look online and hopefully find an engine pic that shows where the wire goes. Or I can try and get a schematic of the electrical.
I just figured I would check here first.