PDA

View Full Version : What trans will hold up to high hp?

my72vette454
10-24-2005, 07:19 PM
I tore up the stock 4 speed trans in my vette the other day, was accelerating in third with 12 lbs boost and it went crunch. I had been careful to not speed shift or dump the clutch so I wouldnt tear up anything behind the engine but it didnt work. I have a 4L80E that I might try but if I wanted a manual transmission,with overdrive, what are some options? I have seen videos of twin turbo C-5's and C-6's that sound like they have standard transmissions so what do they do to them to be able to withstand 1000 rear wheel hp?

Mike

yody
10-24-2005, 07:25 PM
Well if you do a search you will find many similar posts, there are
TKO 600
TKO 500
viper T56
F body T56 modified with viper insides
all of those trannies will hold up, most expensive one is abotu $2,400

Ralph LoGrasso
10-24-2005, 07:45 PM
Theres lots of 4th gens in the 10s and 11s running anywhere from 450-600+rwhp on the stock LS1 F-body T56. Most just upgrade the clutch and go racing. Some also install billet keys, CF synchros viper 3/4 shift fork, etc., but lots of stockers

For 1000rwhp, you're probably going to want a G-force T56 or something of the like though. The TKO as yody mentioned is a formidable trans as well. I would be most concerned about the clutch at those HP levels. You're definitely going to want a twin disc, which is big $$.

chicane67
10-24-2005, 07:45 PM
...... The most expensive of those listed runs about 3000 to the end user.

The G-force or the Zero shift T-56 runs higher, but they have been known to handle 850+ with realitive ease. I can build one to the same standards but with a few other options that the previously listed dont offer..... but it comes with a price. For the money, I'd go the G-Force route..... you cant beat that price and capability.

Your clutch is going to make or brake the combination. Depending on what you are going to do with the chassis..... drag, RR, autoX..... you are looking between 700-1000 for a 7.25", 2 or 3 disc set up.

Christ Yody. You are the epidermatic post whore, now that you are in Boringville. No one can beat you to the post. :moon:

yody
10-24-2005, 08:29 PM
yup, gotta back up my whining with some actual tech, you know I'm forming an army for the PT revolution! Leghumpers v haters LOL!!!!
Actually you can get a viper T56 ready to bolt into a stock bellhousing for $2,600. I think it would hanld the 1,000hp with ease, especially if not getting slicks put on. If this is a mostly street all around car, a mcleod twin disc and a viper T56 would fit the bill just nicely!! if you plan on bolting on stickies and doing 5K rpm clutchdumps at the track and running low 10's you might not even want a manual tranny!! The G force tranny is nice, but real expensive, and if you aren't going to be hooking this thing up real hard, it is not needed. As Ralph mentioned about f bodies, there are turbo vipers out there with stock boxes running 9's. If you don't need 6 gears and want a lighter weight tranny for about $1,800 i believe you can get your hands on a TKO 600 which will last also, just have to be honest with yourself

BTW a stock muncie four speed if not extemely built, aint gonna be handling any boost with a BBC. No suprise it went crunch. AND another thing about twin disc clutches, they have an excellent pedal(mcleod) and can handle 1,000hp no problem, but put a big shock to your drivetrain, since they have almost no slippage. So it is a gain/lose thing, more holding power, bigger shock to entire drivetrain

MrQuick
10-24-2005, 09:30 PM
it all depends how you drive it...i've seen an old(er) woman blow up her T56 in a 2002 Viper...remember you get what you pay for.

Damn True
10-25-2005, 12:19 AM
Just keep in ming that there is a weak point in any drivetrain. Choose carefully what you want that weak point to be based on the result of possible failure.

For example, when I built my Jeep Cherokee; the engine, clutch, tranny, x-fer case, driveshaft and rear end were nearly bulletproof. I maintained the u-joints as the weak point. A lot easier to handle that failure on the trail than a busted axle. You may want to consider a similar game plan.

parsonsj
10-25-2005, 03:26 AM
The reason the McLeod can't allow much slippage is that both discs mate to the input shaft. That means that both discs need to engage at the same time or significant stress is placed on the input shaft right between where the discs engage the splines.

Have a look at the road racer clutches (that's what Chicane was talking about) like Quarter Master or Tilton. They use a splined hub that only engages the input shaft once, and if ordered correctly (with organic lining, and a sprung hub) can be a horsepower-loving streetable clutch.

jp

USAZR1
10-25-2005, 11:31 AM
As much as I love manual transmissions,I think I would look very hard at a built 4L80. Reason being,anything with 1,000hp is going to be ungodly fast so at least with an auto trans,just "stabbing and steering" will be enough of a challenge w/o the need for manually changing gears.

my72vette454
10-25-2005, 05:22 PM
Actually my trans was a cast iron saginaw 4 speed. I picked up another one that I am giong to throw in it for now and just "cruise", and summer is almost over in Idaho anyway so I will be parking it for the winter soon. My car is used for street driving as there arent any road race tracks or drag strips anywhere in the area. I live out in the sticks and a trip to town is 50 miles one way and I sometimes get to go on a weeklong trip so I want an overdrive trans and I am thinking that I can build a 4l80 with the controller for less money than a good std trans setup and with a little converter slippage it might give the rest of the drivetrain some cushion.

Mike

JodysTransmissions
10-28-2005, 03:19 AM
Actually my trans was a cast iron saginaw 4 speed. I picked up another one that I am giong to throw in it for now and just "cruise".............

Mike

Another poor suicide for that transmission, we should conduct the funeral services now! It seems you spent a lot of money on your engine, why skimp on the transmission? You are wasting money on another Sagijunk!

Regards, Jody

my72vette454
10-28-2005, 06:28 AM
My future plans are to use an SRIII tube frame and have the dana 44 rear end with a 4l80 trans behind my turbo motor unfortunately I dont have the cash needed to do it all at once so I am doing it a piece at a time and the easiest way to get the car back on the road again is to use another sagijunk trans.

BLUE72CAMARO
11-03-2005, 01:32 PM
...... The most expensive of those listed runs about 3000 to the end user.

It looks like the g force transmission costs quite a bit more than that to me. They list them for over $4000 on their site. Also what is the zero shift transmission? I searched for them but couldnt come up with anything.