PDA

View Full Version : Spoiler Hinge Suggestion

Barrrf
08-06-2015, 10:50 AM
Hey, didnt know where to put this but I didnt think I should gummy up the tech threads. I see a lot of people using the piano hinges. Those wont work for me. I was thinking more along of the lines of what is on the Hobaugh Corvette? But have no idea what those are. They look like aluminum window hinges. Anyone know what those are or have a better suggestion?

Pic for reference

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Matman3
08-07-2015, 10:06 AM
They are marine door hinges.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Brass-Hatch-Hinge-Boat-Marine-Door-Window-3-/361350787029?hash=item54222f6fd5&vxp=mtr

LS1-IROC
08-07-2015, 10:41 AM
McMaster-Carr will have those as well. We use them where I work.

Barrrf
08-07-2015, 11:06 AM
Nice! I checked McMaster and couldnt find them. Any other suggestions?

korb
08-07-2015, 01:16 PM
Never understand some thoughts, guy blows all that money on a beautifully done car, then does that as a rear wing, really?

72BBSwinger
08-07-2015, 05:33 PM
Never understand some thoughts, guy blows all that money on a beautifully done car, then does that as a rear wing, really?
I guess he should of spent more money$? Then he would have had something that looked really cool and doesn't do SQUAT for SQUAT.....and had a ton of super awesome rivets....

korb
08-07-2015, 06:18 PM
I guess he should of spent more money$? Then he would have had something that looked really cool and doesn't do SQUAT for SQUAT.....and had a ton of super awesome rivets.... oh yes because a hunk of clear plexiglass, umm just finishes the job and purpose.

Barrrf
08-10-2015, 06:57 AM

oh yes because a hunk of clear plexiglass, umm just finishes the job and purpose.

I never understood post like this. Guy starts up an account, then just comes in and bad mouths everyone and their modifications.

Since you obviously dont know much about aero, please see the stickied Aero thread. Then you'll see how that big hunk of clear plexiglass (its actually polycarbonate, not acrylic but who's counting) serves its purpose and doesnt completely obstruct the drivers view.

j-c-c
08-10-2015, 01:52 PM
I never understood post like this. Guy starts up an account, then just comes in and bad mouths everyone and their modifications.

Since you obviously dont know much about aero, please see the stickied Aero thread. Then you'll see how that big hunk of clear plexiglass (its actually polycarbonate, not acrylic but who's counting) serves its purpose and doesnt completely obstruct the drivers view.

Well, in all honesty, I am not sure how we can safely assume it does its job, and I think questioning the stiffness ( and therefore its effectiveness) of the pictured spoiler ( not a wing) at speed does have some merit, but we can all agree, it is a sexy car.

CampbellshotrodsAZ
08-10-2015, 01:57 PM
Yeah, I really question that Hobaugh guy and his Vette. Just all looks and no purpose, not like he's won any big events with that car or anything....

j-c-c
08-10-2015, 04:23 PM
So by just looking at a posted picture you are assuming everyone here has witnessed the car on track and has full knowledge of its repeated proven performance? Rather then being coy , please share with us how this spoiler performed as you followed in its draft down a long straightaway at speed, or am I assuming too much also?

CampbellshotrodsAZ
08-10-2015, 04:36 PM
Brian Hobaugh has been declared the Optima Ultimate Street Car winner more times than I have, so I'm thinking he might know a thing or two about what he's doing. Not like he's a newcomer to the racing world.

hotrodalex
08-10-2015, 05:29 PM
Brian Hobaugh has been declared the Optima Ultimate Street Car winner more times than I have, so I'm thinking he might know a thing or two about what he's doing. Not like he's a newcomer to the racing world.

I saw a picture of his car on another site and people were complaining about the thin sidewalls on the tires, comparing it to a stanced Civic. I just had to laugh.

I've been thinking about doing a similar rear spoiler, so thanks for the info about the hinges. They look pretty classy.

Barrrf
08-10-2015, 06:26 PM
I state again, you don't have to take my word for it - just go get educated by reading the discussion on aero mods.

korb
08-11-2015, 06:43 AM

oh yes because a hunk of clear plexiglass, umm just finishes the job and purpose.

Since you obviously dont know much about aero, please see the stickied Aero thread. Then you'll see how that big hunk of clear plexiglass (its actually polycarbonate, not acrylic but who's counting) serves its purpose and doesnt completely obstruct the drivers view.so were clear, bashing was not my intention, ive seen this car personally, the caliper of the build is second to none, however as you stated the aero advantage you speak of has no effect unless its safe,& apon that I speak...the speed of this car, will surely have a issue with the way it mounted to the car, there was no reinforcement that they spoke of when chatting.im glad I know not to hang out behind it at speed.

Barrrf
08-11-2015, 06:48 AM
so were clear, bashing was not my intention, ive seen this car personally, the caliper of the build is second to none, however as you stated the aero advantage you speak of has no effect unless its safe,& apon that I speak...the speed of this car, will surely have a issue with the way it mounted to the car, there was no reinforcement that they spoke of when chatting.im glad I know not to hang out behind it at speed.

Ok then. Thanks for clearing that up. Youre wording came across as bashing. On the internet, always use more words than you really need to.

Having said that, Brian Hobaugh has completed multiple events with no spoiler issues. There is a little lip bent upwards on the top edge of the spoiler that greatly increases the rigidity of the plastic. Its tough to see but its there.

Rod
08-11-2015, 09:11 AM
this is a FUNNY ass thread.....I enjoy watching the opinions about us that do, from those that don't......

CampbellshotrodsAZ
08-11-2015, 09:32 AM
I saw a picture of his car on another site and people were complaining about the thin sidewalls on the tires, comparing it to a stanced Civic. I just had to laugh.

I want to rip my hair out when I read some of these comments, mainly on Facebook. The comments usually say how the car would look better with "Cragars or rallys", or stock. How boring can people get?

Barrrf
08-11-2015, 10:25 AM
I want to rip my hair out when I read some of these comments, mainly on Facebook. The comments usually say how the car would look better with "Cragars or rallys", or stock. How boring can people get?

Honestly, I wish I had a buck for everyone that said "Needs Torque Thrust 2s" on it. "You got the stripes. Y not the wheels too?"

I dont even want the stripes.