PDA

View Full Version : Problem With The 58

shmoov69
10-24-2005, 06:04 PM
Ok, I am having some issues on the 58 Nomad that I got. I am NOT a wiring/electrical guy, so I need some advice! The dash lights won't work and keeps popping the fuse. They used to work (last year), but I can't seem to get a fuse to turn them on. When I put a bigger fuse in it, it will blow the dome light and brake light fuse too. I changed the light switch and it was the same. What do I need to do to track down the problem? Short of ripping all the wiring out and looking at every wire?
Thanks! :geek:

MrQuick
10-24-2005, 09:24 PM
what ever you do don't put a .22 slug in place of the fuse,
check with a MAC tool dealer and get a short finder or fuse bell. Its a device that goes in where the fuse goes and it makes a buzz noise when a short is detected. Then go through you harness,wiggle and tug till the buzz goes away or changes frequency.
Places to look: anywhere new radio equiptment has been added.
If the car leaks water look low, and disconnect the high beam switch.
Have you removed and replaced any screws in the interior lately?
think of any changes made underdash or near
another tip, bad grounds will not blow fuses.
You could do what that cable guy does to find the short...put in a dime and watch for the smoke! wait don't let the smoke out,thats bad. j/k ! : )

shep
10-25-2005, 08:50 AM
I had the same problem on my 64 impala. I figured out it was the power wire to the gear indicator light, it had been smashed in the colum and was shorting out.