PDA

View Full Version : First gen Camaro window trim

n77nxc
08-05-2015, 10:32 AM
Sold!

parsonsj
08-05-2015, 01:01 PM
They were not used on my build since I decided to go with a rubber molding to mimic a flush look.A free bump on your sale ad, but I'm interested in your rubber moldings... have you published any pics of how you did that?

n77nxc
08-06-2015, 05:17 AM
John,

The gentleman that installed my glass uses a universal molding made by Flexline. It comes in different widths and the molding on mine is roughly 1" wide.

He starts by using foam spacers along the window channel to get the height he is looking for. Its a bunch of back and forth with the glass to get it just right. Once we agreed the height was good, he replaced the foam pieces with pieces of Butyl tape, formed to match the height of the foam. From there, he applies primer to both the window opening and the glass.

He places the Flexline molding around the glass. Unfortunately the sharp 90* turn on the bottom of the windshield and rear glass requires the molding to be cut and pieced together via a 45* cut on both pieces.
A thick bead of Urethane is applied to the glass. For window replacement guys out there, he used a tube and 1/4 on just the rear glass. The glass is positioned and the thick bead allows the glass to be moved horizontally and vertically relatively easily. You don't want to move it too much but adjustments can be made.

Overall, I like the look for my project. Do I see guys building 100K cars using this, absolutely not. Its not perfect by any means, but I think it looks great for my driver. It all comes down to how much skill the installer has to make it look good.

This is a pic just after he laid the rear glass in. Note the molding is still raised in areas. That is because it needs time to settle.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2015/08/16477981293_3af527546a_b-1.jpg

Here is a profile shot after it settles:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2015/08/17005883188_6542397c12_k-1.jpg

Hope this helps.

Jason

parsonsj
08-06-2015, 06:56 AM
Thanks Jason! That's the information I was looking for.

n77nxc
08-06-2015, 09:26 AM
Thanks Jason! That's the information I was looking for.

No problem!

Price drop - $150 shipped