PDA

View Full Version : choosing a chassis

prova
07-30-2015, 07:04 PM
I'm in the market to buy a full chassis for my 63 nova . Was wondering what people think is the better out there. there's a lot of choices lot off the bigger chassis builders. is there any good small shops out there that you guys are a were of?
any input would be good. At this time i'm leaning towards art morrison

dirty rick
07-30-2015, 07:41 PM
Being a uni-body car, This is a major deal.

Your Morrison chassis will not come with body mounts.

Much or even all of the car floor boards will/may need to go bye bye.

prova
07-30-2015, 07:48 PM
It's going to be a big job. I have several friends that are in the race car business. that are chassis builders but they said they couldn't build a chassis for what you can buy one for. The floor, trunk, and fire wall will all be removed and they will fabricate it from sheet metal. just trying to see what manufacturer is the best bang for the buck. Thanks

TheJDMan
07-31-2015, 10:19 AM
I don't think you can go wrong with the Art Morrison chassis.

ICrombie
07-31-2015, 12:02 PM
Schwartz Performance has a full chassis for a 62-67 Nova which, from what I understand, bolts right in without having to fabricate new floors (and I think you can keep the rear frame rails in place if I'm not mistaken). From what I've heard and seen from their testing of the chassis they provide really good performance (1g+).

Might want to be something to look into as it will be a lot easier to install than AME, Chris Alston and Roadster Shop also provide chassis, but I think they are fairly expensive compared to the others.

prova
07-31-2015, 08:17 PM
The Roadster shop to me seems to be the best but its 5k more than the competitors. thanks for your input

rjsjea
08-01-2015, 04:33 PM
Ironworks has built several first gen Nova chassis. Also might be worth looking at a DSE clip.... http://www.detroitspeed.com/1962-1967-Chevy-II-products/032031-front-frame.html

Rod
08-01-2015, 05:33 PM
The Roadster shop to me seems to be the best

how did you reach that conclusion? just curious, best for what?

prova
08-03-2015, 09:02 PM
just by what I've read. A lot of the magazines are call them the one to watch right now.

andrewb70
08-04-2015, 09:02 AM
just by what I've read. A lot of the magazines are call them the one to watch right now.

Cause, you know, magazines know everything...

Andrew

prova
08-04-2015, 08:40 PM
well i'm looking for info but all I keep getting is snide remarks. I thought this would be a tight knit group which might help out fellow enthuses

SSLance
08-05-2015, 04:41 AM
Rodney asks a good question, best for what? Do you want the best looking chassis? Do you want a chassis with the best front end geometry? Do you want a stiff chassis with the least amount of flex? Or like discussed above one that bolts under the body or one that requires you to completely rebuild the bottom half of the body?

This project is a major undertaking, not like just bolting on a set of control arms, there is a lot to consider as I'm sure you already know.

gio75camaro
08-07-2015, 12:35 AM
Chris Alston Chassis Works makes great sub frames and full frames for the Nova

prova
08-08-2015, 07:24 PM
Thanks lance, I guess I miss understood what Rodney was asking, took as implying. Both stiffness and geometry. to get the ride height I'm wanting it's going to have to be a complete rework of the floor. the car has rust in the floor so it just seems fitting to do it that way. Kill 2 birds one stone. depending on how far funds go I hope to be close to that magic hp number of a 1000 hp with the lsx b12 with wipple charger set up. W ould like to run an irs spoke with Art Morrison they said the Nova is to small of a car to run there irs and get a sufficient amount of tire under it. Are you familiar with street rod garage? if so any thoughts?