PDA

View Full Version : Need advise on evaluating a car (Viper)

67Sally
09-15-2004, 05:59 AM
This is a little off topic but you guys are the people that I look to for car advise. An out of state friend of mine is looking to buy a Viper and he has asked me to look at two cars for him here in Chicago. A 2000 and a 2001 GTS.

What are the things that I should be looking at on these cars? They are low mileage cars.

Thanks in advance for advise you can offer.

442olds
09-15-2004, 07:59 AM
engine noises, especially from the bottom end. and prior damage from some guy who can't keep the viper on the road and likes to do a little offroading from time to time.

dennis68
09-15-2004, 11:13 AM
Vipers are real easy to spot when they have been beat on. Check the belly pan for any damage (off track style). Check wheels for curb (barrier) damage. Test drive and check for trans shifting, beat on cars usually shift very notchy. The real obvious one, check for tire wear, are the rears worn much more than the fronts. The engines are pretty bullet proof, I have only changed one in 10 years of working on them (it had nitrous).

67Sally
09-20-2004, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. Gonna take a test drive this week.

JamesJ
09-20-2004, 08:22 PM
If you or him feel that you need expert help, then i would say find someone who is familiar with the type of cars unless you already know of a place or person and give them $50 a car to look them over and give you there opinion on each car.

justanova
09-21-2004, 07:39 AM
take them to the local dodge dealer and pay them to do a "buyers inspection", they will put it on the lift, and check for any damage and ultimately try to sell you the work. The dealer should be familiar with the normal wear/trouble areas.