PDA

View Full Version : foam dust in fuel cell

corvettekid1973
07-24-2015, 06:43 PM
Hey guys I just took the foam out of my brand new fuel cell so I could drill and ad a return fitting and also clean it out. Well when i took the foam out I saw a bunch of dark looking soft dust. Enough to fill a shot glass. I also blew off the foam and a lot of dust came off of it.
Would you all use this foam or just go without?
It's a summit brand circle track fuel cell with the red steel case that the cell is inside of. I have no doubt that both of my filters would have been clogged if I had not found it

corvettekid1973
07-24-2015, 06:47 PM
It may be hard to see but the foam even looks different after i blow it off. The one on the left is before and the right is after

Schwartz Performance
07-24-2015, 07:12 PM
Cheap foam will deteriorate with fuel/ethanol. We had a similar problem with our Tempest. However, the grey foam turned into more of a rubber jelly type material and the fuel filter got jammed. Can't remember the brand, but found some blue foam on Summit that was rated for alcohol fuels, e85 etc.. And it has held up for the last several months no problems. Didn't have any dust on it when we put it in either.

-Dale

corvettekid1973
07-25-2015, 06:15 AM
Awesome thanks man I appreciate it. Ill get better foam