PDA

View Full Version : floor pan advice

formula350
07-22-2015, 02:19 PM
So I'm doing the floor pans in my 78 bird.

I'm going to be picking them up at classic industries as the have a good price and I don't have to pay for shipping.(semi-near by)

They have two syles that will repair what I need. One is a full style that goes from the front of the floor pan to the rear seat. The other has an extended toe panel that I also need.

I'm unsure of which combo of panels would make for a better job. The soild floor to toe or the overlap seam from floor to toe.

Another thing is that both the toe panel and the floor with a toe panel are on backorder.

What would you do?

dhutton
07-22-2015, 03:40 PM
I would be doing a full floor rather than patches for what it's worth. Much cleaner when you're done.

Don

formula350
07-22-2015, 04:06 PM
That would have been my first choice. The full pans for the later f-body are also back ordered and cost about a grand. And you would still need a toe panel.

Plus getting both sides for just what I need makes it so I can keep working on the car while I save for more parts

Buryingthesun
07-23-2015, 02:18 PM
Its really your choice, I prefer a full floor if you have the ability. If its getting covered by a carpet never to be seen again then use the partial patches.

Jetfixr320
07-26-2015, 09:46 AM
You may want to ask when they expect to get the longer pan in. When I did my Floor pans in my Falcon the vendors were back ordered and didn't know and I didn't want to wait. I bought the sections. If you do it right, only you will really know.

72Z/28
10-27-2015, 12:04 PM
Just make sure whatever you get is made in USA. Most likely the ones that are coated black are cheap Chinese made and not cut or stamped properly. Besides, they will not be made out of a thick sheet metal like US ones.

trevor572
10-27-2015, 03:35 PM
So I'm doing the floor pans in my 78 bird.

I'm going to be picking them up at classic industries as the have a good price and I don't have to pay for shipping.(semi-near by)

They have two syles that will repair what I need. One is a full style that goes from the front of the floor pan to the rear seat. The other has an extended toe panel that I also need.

I'm unsure of which combo of panels would make for a better job. The soild floor to toe or the overlap seam from floor to toe.

Another thing is that both the toe panel and the floor with a toe panel are on backorder.

What would you do?

My car had full length partial pans that extended up into the toe board area. The problem being they did not extend up far enough to reach good sound material in all areas, they would have been cheap imported panels and were obviously very thin as the welding was not real flash, this was all done long prior to me owning the car. I opted to replace the full floor and toe boards. Now I have the factory seam and everything is not only done, but looks right also. Do it once and do it right. Just my two cents worth mate.