PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket EFI

64Comet
07-22-2015, 10:48 AM
Hey guys, it's been a while since my last visit. I sold my last PT machine and bought a new project over a year or so ago. I've been driving it daily, all original 67 Fairlane 2 door post car, inline 6 banger and 3 spd manual. Its been great, good gas mileage (20-22 mpgs, i drive it about 60 miles a day interstate). It has treated me so well on my daily commutes that I just couldn't bring myself to tear it apart just yet. Well, I finally burned it down on my way home a few weeks ago. Overheated on the interstate and before I could get to a safe resting point, it scrapped out. I have had a built FE motor, locked 9 inch, and toploader sitting in the garage specifically for this car. My F250 gets about 15-16mpgs on my commute and really only use it to drag the boat around and tow my cars, etc. Well, now I'm using it as a daily and don't really want to. My question is, if I toss my FE and the rest of the setup in and go to an after market EFI, what kind of mpgs are you guys getting under normal driving conditions? I'm just curious if it would be a better daily driver than my F250 diesel. Sorry for the long story, just giving some backdrop.

TheJDMan
07-22-2015, 03:03 PM
Bad idea, IMO! I doubt you would gain any significant MPG with that heavy vehicle while at the same time losing the power of the diesel and worse the resale value of the truck would be severely reduced. Not to mention converting a diesel to gas is a lot more involved then just an engine swap. I think you would be money ahead to go out and buy an inexpensive commuter car and save the parts for a future toy.

andrewb70
07-22-2015, 03:20 PM
Steve,

I think he as asking about dropping the FE into the Fairlane.

Honestly, if you are concerned about mileage, Stick a 4.8L/5.3L LS in it with an overdrive trans.

Andrew

Derek@ModernSpeed
07-27-2015, 12:53 PM
I don't see the FE getting 20-22mpg, so I too would avoid that engine. However you could do a traditional 331/347, and get 21-22 MPG with a good manual trans/EFI

T_Raven
07-27-2015, 11:25 PM
For the cost of converting to EFI to get 3-4 mpg better, I don't think it's worth it from a strictly economic stand point. You'll spend $3000-$4000 for any aftermarket EFI by the time it's running. For that much you can buy a 10 yr old Civic or something that would get twice the mileage.

Red67Mustang
07-28-2015, 03:37 PM
For that much you can buy a 10 yr old Civic or something that would get twice the mileage.

Perhaps, but then...sadly, you'd be driving a 10 year old Civic.

vintageracer
07-28-2015, 04:21 PM

Ya it might be a Civic!

However Steering, Brakes, Cold A/C and RELIABILITY!

That WOULD be a sad situation to have all that in a daily driver wouldn't it???

T_Raven
07-29-2015, 01:08 AM

That's the trade off I guess. Good mileage on low octane, and a car you don't care if someone smashes into, or DD your classic with worse mileage, plus most of us have them built to need premium.

I never liked imports before I worked at a Honda dealer, but grew to like them. My hatch back Civic and Integra were two of the funnest cars to drive, even stock.

There are plenty of others too. I like DSMs. I've got an AWD turbo 92 laser. Mileage isn't as good as something built strictly for economy but it's still good and a lot of fun to drive.

There are plenty of cheap 4 banger cars both foreign and domestic. Lots of fairly luxurious cars that get 30-35 mpg and are old enough to be fairly cheap.