PDA

View Full Version : complete chassis for 1969 Camaro

Cracked Heads
07-15-2015, 07:17 AM
I'm working on a project and would like to know some dimensions for a roll cage in a 1969 Camaro that will be at least a 10 point because I am building a car out of my garage starting with the cage in the center with the floors put on then I will do the suspension and brakes then drive line is last before the body is going to be going on

I'm only 18 and I figured the best way to get my dream car is to build it because I won't be able to afford it anytime soon and it will be a long process because I'm paying for it working part time (for now) at my local O'Reilly Auto Parts

69_Sportsroof
07-15-2015, 08:07 AM
You are starting from nothing at all and trying to build a chassis first, then get a body to drop on? Do you plan on getting it street legal? If so, you'll need a VIN and probably wipers, headlights, horn etc... It might be easier to find a shell that's pretty far gone, cut the floors and all out, and build your chassis to fit. Think about things like AC, interior trim, signal lights, steering column mounts, dash mounts, pedals etc... by the time you buy all of that and make it you may have spent more than buying a car would've cost.

If you just want a stripped down race only car then you dont need a VIN or anything above, but it would still be easier to start with the body instead of relying on measurements from online. I ddi find these though if they help.
http://www.pozziracing.com/Media/F_gen_Firebird_sub.jpg
http://www.camaros.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25470&d=1321377573

Cracked Heads
07-15-2015, 12:03 PM
I would like it somewhat street legal (more than likely hobbiest plates) and I'm ready to put this together over time versus trying to buy a car for $40,000 if not more for what I'd like but I have thought about finding a rotted out shell to use then if I can putting the VIN tag on a fiberglass shell to put on the chassis and everything A/C I don't have in either of my vehicles right now anyway and for this I would not put it on anyway

The interior would be bare as it gets if anything I'll look into getting the shell first then build the whole car out of that and keep it metal if I have to just as long as I can keep the car lighter than a corvette it will be a success for me thank you for the extra info as I do enjoy making my own things wherever possible pedals I could get from my uncle if he has extra or someone he knows that would have extra pedals and my dash would be bolted on with the look I'm going for wipers I'll make my own simple system and I have a horn to use at home

I might end up choosing a different car depending on what I can find and if I can find a mustang I'll be looking for a coyote 5.0 if it's a Camaro I'll be trying to find an LS2 or LS3 because I prefer to keep a Ford engine in a Ford and a GM engine in a GM and they would suit how I drive a little better with the power they make stock it's a no brainer to me

69_Sportsroof
07-15-2015, 01:42 PM
The coyotes are pulling in a small fortune still. I watched copart for a while and saw several totaled coyote equipped mustangs go for $7500+ only to be relisted. So it seems that they are still too desirable to be had cheap. Even the truck ones bring a few thousand. LS engines can be found all over in trucks, cars, SUVs. Usually intake and cam swap is all it takes to unlock a bunch of power in a truck version I believe. Check your state laws for what a car needs if there's inspection. You may be able to get a fresh title for a self built/kit car status.

Cracked Heads
07-15-2015, 05:44 PM
I've seen that same thing with totaled mustangs and the LS engines are everywhere for relatively cheap is like if I could find a corvette that came factory with the dry sump system to save time and money to build it I actually just found a 99 mustang shell for cheap that I'm trying to get is prefer an older car but for the price I don't think I can pass this up

ICrombie
07-27-2015, 10:02 AM
From what I understand tube chassis are built around the suspension and other design features, not vice versa. I personally wouldn't want to be driving in anything with a tube chassis that was designed by someone without substantial experience or at least the background necessary to properly design one.
I'm all for doing things yourself EXCEPT for when it comes to safety elements, which tube chassis and roll cage construction certainly fall under.

I think the best thing to do is to work with someone who can design a tube chassis for you and then maybe bend the tube and construct it yourself if you are a certified welder.

Cracked Heads
08-02-2015, 06:30 PM
I know people that do custom fabrication for this kind of thing regularly I was going to talk to them to see what I'd have to do and if they could help with the welding

mikedc
08-13-2015, 05:51 AM
Another vote to start with a real factory body to work off of.

Even the most desirable bodystyles can still be had of a few grand (at most) if you get a bare shell without decent frame/floors. You just need a halfway solid roof pillars & cowl & doorjamb structure. If you can't afford that much money, for something that important, then you realistically cannot afford to mess with the project in general.

For as much work (and money) as this kind of build inevitably is, I would say you'd be crazy not to start with whatever bodystyle you really want. Don't save yourself $1500 now and eventually dump $30k over time into a bodystyle that wasn't your real favorite. Just don't.