PDA

View Full Version : New guy here!

Striker2237
07-14-2015, 08:15 PM
Hi my name is Alex, I am working on a project right now that I think qualifies as a pro-touring car and was hoping for advice as I moved into the final stages.

My project is my 2003 ram 1500 laramie 4x4, yeah I know its kind of a weird project and people call me crazy all the time but hey, I want to do something different.

Anyway at this point in time the suspension and braking systems have been totally upgraded and restored. Suspension in the front are all moog high end components with poly bushings and a hellwig 1.75 inch sway bar, ball joints have been changed to the best ones that moog carries with grease fittings. Wheel hubs are also by moog. Steering rack is a maval custom unit that has a quicker steering ratio and heaver effort compared to the stock unit, pump is a simple but effective new OEM unit, tie rods are also moog grease-able ones. Front torsion bars are ones that I had custom forged with a faster spring rate to help keep the wheels controlled, kinda killed the ride though lol! Rear suspension consists of custom leaf spring packs with faster and more aggressive spring rates that hold the axle against the road more effectively than the stock ones, also kills the ride. There are also binding clamps on the front of the leaf packs to prevent wheel hop due to axle wrap. I also added in a Hellwig rear sway bar to further increase the control of the trucks quite considerable weight in turns. Last things are a new posi and bearings for the rear end, 3.55 gears and bilstein 4600s all the way around. All the bushing in the suspension with the exception of the front lower control arms have been replaced with polys. Brakes are SSBC tri-power up front and power stop Z36 in the rear, all brake hoses have been replaced with braided stainless steel lines and the master cylinder had been upgraded to a more responsive unit. Overall the work has enabled cornering speeds of over 30 mph through 90 degree corners while hugging the grass while still remaining comfortable, I can turn at about 42 and still remain in control before the tires start complaining.

Engine right now is the stock 5.9 (360) magnum V8 with not much done to it aside from headers and custom made exhaust piping. Also changed the valve covers to mopar performance ones as the original seals failed so I figured why not. In 11 days I am pulling the engine out and sending it out to my local machine shop to get it fully blueprinted, decked, align honed, and cleaned so that I can finish turning it into a 408 stoker. Should put down about 480 HP NA and in about a year I plan to add a vortech supercharger with an end goal of 575 RWHP. My main issue right now is finding suitable injectors for my engine, I have found there is not a 40lb/hour injector with the correct spray pattern for a single valve engine that I have come across yet......

I look forward to meeting the members here and learning more about cars and engines!

BMR Sales
07-15-2015, 07:28 AM
Welcome Alex!