PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an engineering type answer

wfo guy
07-09-2015, 01:36 PM
I have a project build in the project forum on my 51 Ford pickup. I built the frame as compared to current Morrison, Roadster Shop, Scotts, Swartz's etc. I used a No limit front and have Ridetech coil overs on all 4 corners. This truck weighs around 3200lbs with a partial tank of fuel. It only has a sway bar on the front. I'm not finished with body and paint work but I have been driving this for several weeks and have put a few hundred miles on it. It drives excellent. It goes around corners and stops so well that everyone that has ridden it has been surprised. My question is: is the performance a direct relational sum of all the parts or is any one part a stronger portion of the performance sum?

raustinss
07-09-2015, 05:45 PM
That's a horribly open ended question...until you expand the details of what engine... transmission rear axle gear...wheels size.....shocks spring rates..etc

Twentyover
07-10-2015, 09:33 AM
Tires Tires Tires

I sounds as though you stumbled onto a happy combination that works. Now try autocrossing it and find the weakness'. Then decide if you want to pay the compromise price for a better autocross or track time.

69_Sportsroof
07-10-2015, 12:13 PM
^ what he said with the addition of driver mod. Tires are the only thing connecting you to the ground. You can have the best SLA/pushrod giant brake kit 500hp monster, but if you put 195 hard tires all the way around good luck doing anything but cruising

raustinss
07-10-2015, 06:47 PM
You guys are right but let's not forget...you need power to turn the tires....a 2.83 vs 4.11 gears will make a huge difference. Shocks and swaybars people,ay a major factor etc etc etc hence why I was trying to get him to nail down more info

wfo guy
07-11-2015, 06:46 PM
I didn't word my question well enough to find your opinions. I'll try again. Is the frame more important than the suspension or is the suspension more important than the frame? Or is all the magic in the sum of all the parts? This has a stock Ford 4.6pi engine, tremec 3650 trans, 8.8 posi rear with 3.73 ratio.

mitch_04
07-11-2015, 07:13 PM
I would believe that it just has to be balanced. A 500 HP motor does you no good if you have donut tires... or if you have open gears... or a flimsy frame... you get the idea. If you are going to go with a monster motor, you are going to need everything else at the same level. However, a less powerful motor doesn't need 355 width slicks.

Know what I'm saying?

raustinss
07-12-2015, 09:45 AM
my 2 cents ...frame is more important but ,suspension is a very close second. In order for you to use suspension to its fullest you need a solid structure to mount it to. ex a flimsy coilover mount ... if its flexing then the suspension wont function the way it should or can. having said this yes you can use a stock frame and toss the best of the best suspension goodies on and notice amazing differences . I consider it a start from the bottom and move up .

WallaceMFG
07-12-2015, 01:44 PM
In my opinion I'd say the suspension is more important. Look at all the cars Ridetech builds to compete in auto x that are all competitive. the 48 hour Camaro and Corvette both use bolt on suspension parts and perform extremely well. I'm sure the frame does make a difference in a large vehicle like a pickup, but I'd still think the suspension is worth more.

raustinss
07-12-2015, 03:41 PM
Well let's think about a stock sub frame camaro or nova.....good suspension with take you so far.....a rock solid sub frame and bushings will make a HUGE difference. A suspension is designed to be attached to solid "non" flexible mounts

RobNoLimit
07-13-2015, 05:42 AM
WFO, it's always a combo deal, but, The frame does matter. Your's may be a bit heavy, but if it reduces the flex, and allows the suspension to do it's job, it was worth it. Also, the extra weight of your chassis is 'low' in the truck, and in the back, the weight helps with the unsprung weight %. So, it's not only OK, it may be helping. The trucks turn in ability will be limited to the front suspension/tires. It's acceleration and 'corner-off' pulls will be limited to the rear suspension/tires. You have a great start, time to go play.

wfo guy
07-27-2015, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm stuck doing body work to finish the truck. It will be months before it is done enough that I can see if I want to add another sway bar or do any other changes.