PDA

View Full Version : 1968 Cougar suspension and steering

Kyson
07-05-2015, 09:09 AM
Hello all, I recently purchased a very nice '68 Cougar that has fantastic mechanicals, interior and paint. I was going to just update a couple of things (modernizing the tail light sequencer, repairing a noisy power steering pump, and adjusting the headlight doors) but now the bug has bitten to take it a step further.

What are the board member thoughts on the Borgeson power steering updates? I see very little in terms of Borgeson user reviews, though they are recommended by my local shop.

And what about a quality coil over and 4 link rear? Total Control, Global West and Maier all seem to be referenced a lot, with meaningful user reviews from Mustang owners. There aren't a lot of user ratings from Cougar builds, but assume the fronts should be the same either way. I probably need more input for the rear for a Cougar. The car has been radically lowered using original suspension approach and springs. I love the stance but want to modernize, ride a little nicer and make way for some 18s in place of the 15s.

I have a small block, automatic car with AC, and am looking to ultimately build a nice driving cruiser rather than a track machine. I'm trying to avoid cutting up the car unnecessarily and it seems (at least to me) important to keep front load in the shock towers where it was designed to be borne. But this is the first time I've ever considered this amount of work in a classic car, so will defer to the expertise of others.

Thanks a lot, in advance, for any opinions.

andrewb70
07-08-2015, 07:39 AM
Hello all, I recently purchased a very nice '68 Cougar that has fantastic mechanicals, interior and paint. I was going to just update a couple of things (modernizing the tail light sequencer, repairing a noisy power steering pump, and adjusting the headlight doors) but now the bug has bitten to take it a step further.

What are the board member thoughts on the Borgeson power steering updates? I see very little in terms of Borgeson user reviews, though they are recommended by my local shop.

And what about a quality coil over and 4 link rear? Total Control, Global West and Maier all seem to be referenced a lot, with meaningful user reviews from Mustang owners. There aren't a lot of user ratings from Cougar builds, but assume the fronts should be the same either way. I probably need more input for the rear for a Cougar. The car has been radically lowered using original suspension approach and springs. I love the stance but want to modernize, ride a little nicer and make way for some 18s in place of the 15s.

I have a small block, automatic car with AC, and am looking to ultimately build a nice driving cruiser rather than a track machine. I'm trying to avoid cutting up the car unnecessarily and it seems (at least to me) important to keep front load in the shock towers where it was designed to be borne. But this is the first time I've ever considered this amount of work in a classic car, so will defer to the expertise of others.

Thanks a lot, in advance, for any opinions.

Check out my 67 Cougar build. I am using TCP products and have been very pleased!!!

Andrew

Red67Mustang
07-08-2015, 03:47 PM
I studied what to do for power steering in my '67 Mustang (same basic chassis as your Cougar) for about a year... I considered all options, including rack and pinion.

In the end I opted for an integral PS box and went with the CPP integral PS box in lieu of the Borgeson unit. The main reasons were due to a somewhat smaller package and the faster 13.6:1 ratio [compared to 19:1 (ms) or 16:1 (ps) for the factory units].

This isn't my video, so if someone wants to claim it please do... I just found this via google for the CPP Mustang box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPpZJzXU42E&sns=em

Also, here is the website from CPP:

http://www.classicperform.com/Series400/400SeriesPowerSteeringBoxes.htm

I've had it installed now for a little less than 2 years and it's been the single best drivability improvement to the car. No more white knuckle wandering around the road...
I don't know for sure, but I speculate this would fit on your Cougar. By now someone out there has probably tried it...

BTW...I'm using an all aluminum KRC power steering pump and a 12"x9" PS fluid cooler... Together, this setup has totally solved a myriad of problems I was having Autocrossing with the stock factory ps setup.

As for suspension (again relying on Mustang compatibility) I recommend you check out www.streetortrack.com

I'm running their 3-link rear suspension and working on installing the coil-over front suspension. Really nice designs and good quality parts, with customer service I've not seen rivaled anywhere. Most importantly the stuff works, the handling improvement I've seen since installing their kit (for the rear) was absolutely amazing... Looking forward to even more improvement with the front kit.

Best of luck!