PDA

View Full Version : Getting Big Red Ready For Columbus Goodguys PPG Nationals!

BigRedCamaro
07-01-2015, 02:00 PM
As you may have seen, we're getting Big red out on the road to see some of our fans -- starting with the Columbus Goodguys show in July.
To make the car more recognizable, it will arrive at the Goodguys PPG Nationals in Columbus, Ohio on July 10-12 wearing its familiar Silver State Classic Challenge skin.

The car is currently in landspeed mode with the Elephant stuffed between the front fenders. It just finished running at El Mirage running on the dry lakebed and is very dirty.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

First, start by removing the parachutes and blowing out all the El Mirage dirt.

Change the hood from the huge bulging scoop to a cowl hood.

Swap the deck lid out with the one with the standard Camaro spoiler.

Swap the narrow racing tires and salt flat discs to the wide street tires and BBS wheels.

The next race is Bonneville, so they don’t want to change the working combination too much. Due to the tight schedule for Bonneville, the engine, fuel system, gears, interior, front fender wells, exhaust, cooling system, etc. You get the idea. There’s a lot that goes into changing the car from one type of event to the next. It takes a lot to be The Original Outlaw Racer.

Carl @ Chassisworks
07-01-2015, 02:36 PM
I love this car so much. Thanks for running our CDS Supercharger Drive (http://www.cachassisworks.com/cac_press_CDS-supercharger-drive.html)!

Peter Mc Mahon
07-01-2015, 04:17 PM
Awesome! leave it just like that! I hope to see you guys there, [almost have my wife talked into it]

BigRedCamaro
07-01-2015, 04:49 PM
I love this car so much. Thanks for running our CDS Supercharger Drive (http://www.cachassisworks.com/cac_press_CDS-supercharger-drive.html)!

Thanks Carl!

We tried running our top speeds naturally aspirated, but we bit the bullet and went with the ProCharger F3A supercharger. We went with the CDS to mount the supercharger low (for CG) and have it run most efficient.

You can see the supercharger bracket in this picture off of our website (BigRedCamaro.com). The little "Engine Sounds" button doesn't work in this static screenshot image, but if you go to our website you can hear all of our engines run.

:)

BigRedCamaro
07-01-2015, 04:50 PM
Awesome! leave it just like that! I hope to see you guys there, [almost have my wife talked into it]

Good luck talking your wife into going. :)

another69
07-01-2015, 05:47 PM
I have loved this car ever since the first time I saw it in Hot Rod. It's nice to see a Camaro built to this level that is used on road courses and land speed instead of the drag strip. Speaking of which - have you ever run it in the 1/4 mile just to see what it would do?

BigRedCamaro
07-01-2015, 10:42 PM
I have loved this car ever since the first time I saw it in Hot Rod. It's nice to see a Camaro built to this level that is used on road courses and land speed instead of the drag strip. Speaking of which - have you ever run it in the 1/4 mile just to see what it would do?

Big Red has been launched off the line many times, but always with a tall gear for high speed. It's never been drag raced. Since the suspension isn't setup for drag racing, we can imagine it could realistically go lower than 11s in the quarter. But this is all speculation and high speed racing is what we're set up for.

CamaroMike
07-02-2015, 05:31 AM
I saw you found my instagram Big Red, I got excited when I saw you liking my pics! This car is so cool, everyone wants a one car for all kinds of motorsports, this one fits the bill quite nice.

I still cant believe I missed you when you came to Barbers to duke it out with the new z28! Wish I could have been there for that.

BigRedCamaro
07-03-2015, 10:29 PM
I saw you found my instagram Big Red, I got excited when I saw you liking my pics! This car is so cool, everyone wants a one car for all kinds of motorsports, this one fits the bill quite nice.

I still cant believe I missed you when you came to Barbers to duke it out with the new z28! Wish I could have been there for that.

CamaroMike,

Thanks for the kind words. Too bad about missing us. We'll be around here and there. Keep an ear out!

We're following quite a few Mike's. What's your username?

For those who use Instagram, you can find us at @thebigredcamaro :)

g-machine
07-04-2015, 06:59 AM
I wish you were in Des Moines, IA at the Good Guys show this weekend as well! There's not a chance I can make it to Ohio. I've never seen the car in person but I have always been a fan!

CamaroMike
07-04-2015, 04:52 PM
CamaroMike,

Thanks for the kind words. Too bad about missing us. We'll be around here and there. Keep an ear out!

We're following quite a few Mike's. What's your username?

For those who use Instagram, you can find us at @thebigredcamaro :)

Forsure! Its @michaelelsea

mean buzzen half dozen
07-04-2015, 07:18 PM
It just finished running at El Mirage running on the dry lakebed and is very dirty.

Nice!

So how did it do at El Mirage ?

BigRedCamaro
07-07-2015, 01:40 PM
Nice!

So how did it do at El Mirage ?

El Mirage is a fun event. We had a good time. We didn't break any records, but the car was still running when we put it on the trailer. For us, that's a win. :)

BigRedCamaro
07-07-2015, 01:41 PM
Forsure! Its @michaelelsea

Just followed you. :)

Ghiaguy
07-21-2015, 01:09 PM
Looks like you won't have to worry about Bonneville now, canceled over the weekend.....

Mike Face built a Chevelle "Copperhead" to go play with you guys, ((chit, has it been fifteen years ago now WOW)), was going to have his Brother-In-Law drive, until B-I-L crashed real hard at Fontana prepping for a NASCAR race, It kind of skeered them real bad (B-I-L was in Hospital for a few weeks)..... Car was parked for several years and then sold at the Phoenix auction (for nothing) a couple of years ago... It would of been great to see your Camaro and this car go head to head -- --

http://www.superchevy.com/features/65158-1970-chevrolet-chevelle/

rob07002
07-22-2015, 08:58 AM
Love Big Red! A pioneer!

shortrack
07-22-2015, 08:13 PM
Looks like you won't have to worry about Bonneville now, canceled over the weekend.....

Mike Face built a Chevelle "Copperhead" to go play with you guys, ((chit, has it been fifteen years ago now WOW)), was going to have his Brother-In-Law drive, until B-I-L crashed real hard at Fontana prepping for a NASCAR race, It kind of skeered them real bad (B-I-L was in Hospital for a few weeks)..... Car was parked for several years and then sold at the Phoenix auction (for nothing) a couple of years ago... It would of been great to see your Camaro and this car go head to head -- --

http://www.superchevy.com/features/65158-1970-chevrolet-chevelle/

That is/was a great car. I too saw it go for practically nothing at BJ a few yrs back. What does that thing weigh? What does Big Red weigh?

BigRedCamaro
07-22-2015, 09:16 PM
Love Big Red! A pioneer!

Thanks Rob!

BigRedCamaro
07-22-2015, 09:27 PM
That is/was a great car. I too saw it go for practically nothing at BJ a few yrs back. What does that thing weigh? What does Big Red weigh?

Yes. It's too bad about Mike Face's totally awesome Chevelle. It is an amazing car. Not sure what it weighs.

...the weight of Big Red? Are you ready? Right now, Big Red is weighing in at 5,000 lbs! That's because it's loaded down with lead for running at Bonneville. It's still a heavy beast when it's set up to run lean. It tips the scales around 3,000. :)