PDA

View Full Version : First Timer Advice for a USCA Event

LemonTwisted
06-23-2015, 11:25 AM
I'm looking at going to the Charlotte USCA event in July and this will be my first track experience. I want to make sure that the car and myself are prepared as much as possible before the event. I've looked over the rules but I didn't find much detail as far as what the tech inspectors look at. I've done a couple of autocross events was wondering if there are any other things that the USCA tech inspectors look at beyond the usual autocross check (Tires, battery, seat belts, etc). I'm also curious as to what to expect as far as top speed for the novice group on the track if anyone has any idea. Any other advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Project92rs
06-23-2015, 11:57 AM
If you pass tech at an autox that uses SCCA tech or similar rules, you should pass tech at USCA. Main things are no loose items in the vehicle, safe tires, and the correct driver safety equipment for your class. Make a point of checking for leaks, change the fluids, check any problem bolts for torque, and then go out and have fun.

As far as speeds in the novice class, the only limit is how fast are you willing to go. At USCA Vegas, my wife hit a top speed of 137 at one point on the track in the novice group with lots of straights on the track being done at 100 - 120 mph. Make sure your brakes are up to it. If you've never run the car on a road course before, bring extra pads and check them between run groups. Pulling a single tire to visually check pad wear is a minor inconvenience compared to running out of brakes on the next run group. And spare pads are insurance on having brakes to get home with. We learned this the hard way at a local event and change pad compounds from a street / autox compound to a full race compound before going on the road course. Wilwood calipers make the swap easy.

Final pieces of advice. If this is your first big event, don't be afraid to introduce yourself to everyone. Ask for help if you need it. You'll find that everyone tends to be friendly and helpful if you have questions or just want to ask about their car. Take advantage of any instructors they have available for any portions of the event. There will be people willing to ride the autox with you and give pointers and if Charlotte is run like Vegas was there will be instructors for the road course portion to help you find the line and read the course.

andrewb70
06-23-2015, 12:05 PM
I do believe you need a fire extinguisher mounted securely inside the cabin.

My bit of advice is go there, have fun, and don't let the "red mist" take over. Don't try to go 100% the first time out. Relax, get used to the track, get used to the car, don't be shy about slowing down and waving a faster guy behind you by.

Andrew

SSLance
06-23-2015, 12:23 PM
Having a fire extinguisher is not in the rules...but is a good idea.

I'll echo what Tom said, look first to have fun...and not worry about winning everything. My top speed at NCM was 99 mph, but it was a tight more technical type track then you'll most likely see at Charlotte's Roval. You only have to go as fast as you want though, there are no minimums.

Instructors...take full advantage of them...at every event. They are awesome drivers on their own and everyone can learn from them. Let who is in charge of the instructors know that you want one early, and they'll make sure you get one.

Lastly, 7 tenths is fine if that's where you are comfortable. Do not drive over your head just because someone else is or you think you need to...drive up to your fun level and enjoy it. It'll be a fantastic weekend I'm certain.

Might also be a good idea to flush in some fresh brake fluid if you haven't done that in a while.

71RS/SS396
06-24-2015, 01:45 AM
Steve, do you have a 3 point seat belt? I would use blue painters tape on your car to protect the paint! Take advantage of the instructors.... they're free.

Matman3
06-24-2015, 03:36 AM
Great advice. Charlotte will be my first race with USCA as well. I'm really looking forward to it but also nervous as well. I have an event this weekend at Road Atlanta to get the car dialed in as much as possible with the intention of having as fun as possible at Charlotte.

Steve- Thank you for asking the question that we didn't know we wanted to ask!

Project92rs
06-24-2015, 05:22 AM
To echo and reinforce a few things:

1. Even if the rules don't require it, have an extinguisher in reach within the car. You will likely never need it but for that 1 time you do, it will be invaluable.

2. Check / change all of your fluids before the event. Depending on when you last changed them, fresh fluids may be in order. I change ours before every major event (oil, transmission, brakes, and differential). This event will be rough on the car with lots of high rpm run time and lots of hard stops.

3. Don't drive past the limits of your car or your abilities. Assume that there will always be someone with more experience and a more expensive better prepared car at these events. Concentrate on safe first, fun second, and winning third.

4. Always use the instructors at events. If the event doesn't have instructors and you aren't comfortable with the course, ask one of the more experienced drivers if they will ride with you or let you ride with them. The worst that can happen is they say no but most won't. I have yet to be at an event (except SCCA) that won't allow ride alongs. SCCA has rules for instructors and passengers.

5. Bring water. They will have food vendors but having a cooler where you're parked is a lot more convenient for staying properly hydrated than having to walk to the concession stand. Sunscreen is also recommended.

nokones
06-24-2015, 05:31 AM
Just think about safety first and having fun second. Hopefully, you have after-market race equivalent brake calipers with a new set of good quality brake pads that will with-stand the hard braking and high brake temps. Also, make sure that you have high brake temp brake fluid and that you have bled the system just prior to the Charlotte event.

The tech inspectors put a lot of emphases on the driver's safety gear. Make sure that you have an approved neck restraint device in addition to the other safety stuff.

Don't forget to smile because you may be on TV. While you are doing the hot laps on Sunday and if you are flat out hauling the mail going down the straight and you visualize God, that might be a clue that is your braking point and you better brake now.

And have fun.

LemonTwisted
06-24-2015, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. This is going to be more about having fun with my car and meeting some like minded people. From what I've gathered from others, the USCA events sound like they are more relaxed and have a very supportive group for the first timer to participate in. Looking forward to meeting some of you and maybe getting some pointers and advice.

I do have a fresh fire extinguisher and 3 point belts in the car and just upgraded to Ron Sutton spec'd 4 wheel disc brakes. I don't think I'll have a problem with the "Red Mist" as much as being the slowest car on the track, just don't want to be in anybodies way. I assume the novice group runs by themselves so they don't get mixed up with the fast guys and gals.

As far as personal safety equipment, I read that long cotton pants (Jeans OK?) and long sleeve cotton shirt should be sufficient for the novice class. I've got a Snell helmet and I'll pick up a neck collar and Nomex gloves. What about shoes, rules say Full Coverage Leather Shoes. Does that mean full leather racing shoes only or will casual type leather shoes with a rubber sole be Ok?

Thanks,

nokones
06-24-2015, 10:39 AM
Make sure your helmet is "SA" rated and not "M" rated.

Kcorrigan2
06-24-2015, 11:30 AM
Here is the link to the rules....you should read them completely. http://driveusca.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/USCARules_v9-2_2015_final_rev2.pdf
Lots of good advice above here a re a few more points that should make things more enjoyable for you.
1. Don't be afraid to NOT run every single lap that is available to you. We all go for seat time but it can be hot and you and the car may need a break...its OK.
2. Get to the facility early. They will be handing out stickers that you need to put on your car...get them quickly and install. Ask at the Optima trailer where to get them.
3. Get in line quickly for tech inspection...find the place and get your car there.
4. Make sure to bring your Drivers License, proof of insurance, registration with you to the optima trailer after you complete tech inspection.
5. Walk the track. If you are running late you will likely miss the opportunity to walk the track (autocross and speed stop)
6. Study the online roval layout...try to memorize as much of the track as possible...as we know, surprises are bad.
7. Get gas...there will likely be no gas onsite. It is amazing how much gas you will use during each day. Expect to use 10 gallons per day....if you have fuel cans and will be fueling with them...that is where you need to have a fire extinguisher.
8. Clean your car...inside and out. You will be on TV and it needs to look good and believe me, when you are flying around the Roval, everything that is loose in you car will move. Fasten seat belts that are not being used and make them tight. Look for any scrap of paper...everything.
9. Take a small bag with you to the staging areas to hold your "stuff"...pressure guage, water, etc.

Have FUN!! I will be there and will be happy to answer any questions you have or point you to someone who does know.

MattG
06-24-2015, 05:48 PM
Great advice. Charlotte will be my first race with USCA as well. I'm really looking forward to it but also nervous as well. I have an event this weekend at Road Atlanta to get the car dialed in as much as possible with the intention of having as fun as possible at Charlotte.

Steve- Thank you for asking the question that we didn't know we wanted to ask!

I feel the same, nervous and excited! No prep race for me though...shootin from the hip and looking forward to meeting everyone!

Chad-1stGen
06-24-2015, 08:33 PM
One thing I will add is to thoroughly tech your car before the event. Never rely on an onsite tech of your car if you are going on a road course. The onsite tech only covers the most basic of items. You need to get under your car and check all suspension points, brakes, steering, wheel bearings, etc etc take the self tech seriously.

woodside783
06-25-2015, 09:51 AM
i was a first timer at ncm had a blast. It was so much fun that i all so signed up for Michigan and Charlotte. 125mph at NCM and got up to 142 at Michigan on the front straight. New dot 4 was put in before both events, including motor oil. This weekend i will get under it and go over it and make sure it is ready to go. I think you where at the peach state challange. One of the hardest things is putting the sticker pack on they give you the way you want it. If you need any help come by and say hi just look for a red 4 door flat bed pulling a white enclosed.

LemonTwisted
06-25-2015, 11:23 AM
i was a first timer at ncm had a blast. It was so much fun that i all so signed up for Michigan and Charlotte. 125mph at NCM and got up to 142 at Michigan on the front straight. New dot 4 was put in before both events, including motor oil. This weekend i will get under it and go over it and make sure it is ready to go. I think you where at the peach state challange. One of the hardest things is putting the sticker pack on they give you the way you want it. If you need any help come by and say hi just look for a red 4 door flat bed pulling a white enclosed.

I remember a silver 5th gen Camaro at PSMC, if it's the one I'm thinking of it sounded awesome.

I just went thru the front end and replaced the T bars and ball joints along with the brakes so I'll be re-checking all the fasteners anyway when I get few more miles on it. Trans was serviced too when I was waiting on parts and I'll change the oil and filter the week before the event. I've been running distilled water with water wetter so I'll flush that out and just go back with the same unless someone recommends different.

I was thinking about driving the car up from Atlanta and having my friends drive my truck with all the tools and stuff but I think I've found a trailer to borrow so I may tow it. On the one hand I feel I should drive it up since it is a "street car" event but on the other hand it'll be cheaper to trailer it and not take the chance of something happening to it on the drive up plus be able to trailer it home if something happens to it at the event.

Tomswheels
06-25-2015, 11:31 AM
Make sure your k member bolts are tight, mine loosen after a bunch of abuse. I also like to re-torque wheels each morning of event. What brand/model/size tire are you running?

LemonTwisted
06-25-2015, 01:05 PM
Make sure your k member bolts are tight, mine loosen after a bunch of abuse. I also like to re-torque wheels each morning of event. What brand/model/size tire are you running?

Nice Valiant you have there! Are you running the factory type suspension? I checked the K member bolts when I was going over the rest of the front end and painted witness marks on them as well as all the other front end bolts that didn't have a cotter pin in them so I can tell if they loosen with a visual inspection. I'm kinda paranoid (or OCD as the wife and daughter put it) about the wheel lugs so I usually check those every time I clean the car up and every morning of the few times I've autocrossed it. I'm running Nitto NT555s, 245/45-18 front and 275/40-18 rear for now. I probably need to up the fronts to 275 to help out with the push these B bodies have but hopefully these will work good enough so I can have a little fun at the event.

Tomswheels
06-25-2015, 02:01 PM
Nice Valiant you have there! Are you running the factory type suspension? ... I'm running Nitto NT555s, 245/45-18 front and 275/40-18 rear for now. I probably need to up the fronts to 275 to help out with the push these B bodies have but hopefully these will work good enough so I can have a little fun at the event.

Steve OCD is good when it comes to this! The Valiant has a full Hotchkis TVS on the stock setup, with the body mods so I can run 285 F and 305 R tires. Your Nittos aren't bad for street tires, but the sidewalls are not as stiff as the newer 200 TW tires your competitors will be on. I don't know what pressures you have been running but don't go too low on the road course, I'd recommend at least 36-38 psi or more. If you do end up doing more of these events, think about making the move to one of the stiffer sidewall tires. Great to see you getting the Roadrunner out for some action!

woodside783
06-26-2015, 08:58 AM
I remember a silver 5th gen Camaro at PSMC, if it's the one I'm thinking of it sounded awesome.

I just went thru the front end and replaced the T bars and ball joints along with the brakes so I'll be re-checking all the fasteners anyway when I get few more miles on it. Trans was serviced too when I was waiting on parts and I'll change the oil and filter the week before the event. I've been running distilled water with water wetter so I'll flush that out and just go back with the same unless someone recommends different.

I was thinking about driving the car up from Atlanta and having my friends drive my truck with all the tools and stuff but I think I've found a trailer to borrow so I may tow it. On the one hand I feel I should drive it up since it is a "street car" event but on the other hand it'll be cheaper to trailer it and not take the chance of something happening to it on the drive up plus be able to trailer it home if something happens to it at the event.

yes sir that was me. love seeing the mopar's out here have not seen any in a while. 245 f and 275 rear is what the camaro has stock and it pushed horrible if you can upgrade to the stiffer sidewalls it would be best