PDA

View Full Version : Tick in engine

scottyz
10-21-2005, 02:44 PM
I just rebuilt my engine. It is a small block chev 383. It has a comp XE274 hydraulic flat tappet cam. After engine break in I noticed a slight tick or knock. The noise sounds as though it is with each revolution of the cam. MY friend and I have adjusted the valves. If you remove the fuel pump the noise is very hard to hear so I replaced the fuel pump with a new pump and pushrod. Sound was still there. Today I decided to remove my valve covers and inspect the valvetrain. I marked all the pushrods and observed while it was running. One pushrod was not rotating. A few were rotating slowly like about 25 seconds per revolution of the pushrod. The rest were rotating at a good pace and consistantly. Would the pushrod not rotating also mean the lifter is not rotating? I also assume it is the cam because one of the pushrods that has slow and inconsistant rotation is closest to the fuel pump pushrod. WHen the pump is installed the tick is much noisier. Run the engine without the pump and you can just barely hear the noise so I am guessing the noise from the cam is travelling down to the pump. My oil pressure is excellent and the vehicle runs great and accelerates very strong. I have about 200 miles on it but no longer want to drive it and cause more damage. What would your recommendations be at this point?

paul67
10-22-2005, 01:46 AM
Check the break in compound has been flushed out. Also some has mention the new oils have addative missing now.
paul67

OHCbird
10-22-2005, 06:46 PM
Did you see uniform oiling on all the lifters?

scottyz
10-23-2005, 05:44 AM
All the rockers appear to have the same amount of oil going to them. I think I am going to have to pull the intake to have a looksy.