PDA

View Full Version : Water Pump Pulley bolts

GregD
10-21-2005, 06:58 AM
I apologize in advance for the dumb question. I'm converting to an electric fan so I no longer need the mechanical fan and spacer. The bolts that hold my water pump pulley on are too long. does anyone know where I can get a set of short bolts that will fit the thread of the stock waterpump flange for the pulley? If not, does anyone know the thread type so I can head to the hardware store? I'm hoping to get this done in time for this weekend.

Thanks,
Greg

derekf
10-21-2005, 07:49 AM
Greg, I don't have a specific answer for you other than "get grade 8 from the hardware store" (mainly because I'm at work) - but why not just take the old way-too-long bolt in with you? That way you could have a definitive "This is the right size/thread". Even if you're having to drive the project to the store, you could take the bolt out in the lot.

MrQuick
10-21-2005, 09:17 AM
its just 5/16" -20 or fine thread. just pick a length that wont bottom out on the pump

kman67rsss
10-21-2005, 02:56 PM
you could always take the cheap route out and cut down your existing bolts. then redo the 1st t hread on a bench grunder and your good to go

blazer4corners
10-21-2005, 07:42 PM
Water pump studs ....you know the ones that hold on a clutch style fan."Help" section at local parts house.Remember they are FINE thread.

Maxoctane
10-22-2005, 03:39 AM
Greg, I don't have a specific answer for you other than "get grade 8 from the hardware store" (mainly because I'm at work) - but why not just take the old way-too-long bolt in with you? That way you could have a definitive "This is the right size/thread". Even if you're having to drive the project to the store, you could take the bolt out in the lot.

I concur, you could get even get allen heads for a trick look. Don't forget the blue locktite and/or lock washers.

GregD
10-24-2005, 06:50 AM
Thanks guys, I ended up going with Maxoctane's suggestion. Stainless Allen heads with lock washers. 3/4 inch long 5/16 thread-24 fine thread.