PDA

View Full Version : retro tek push button shifter???

gray68
10-20-2005, 07:55 PM
Anyone using this ? curious if worth the money. Sure looks cool!!
www.retrotekspeed.com (http://www.retrotekspeed.com)

Steve Chryssos
10-21-2005, 03:49 AM
Keith is putting one in his Chevelle. Check out http://www.zefhix.com. Probably a coupla weeks before he gets to test it out.

Travis B
10-21-2005, 05:37 AM
We looked at using one in a 33 we are building.......awful pricey! We passed on it! Sure does look cool though

TEDDYS CAMARO
10-21-2005, 07:02 AM
I wonder how that would look in a camaro??? I must do more research!

Travis B
10-21-2005, 08:06 AM
I wonder how that would look in a camaro??? I must do more research!

HOnestly I would try and hide it close to the d/s or something like that
you would go to look in it and what???? no shifter no handle/lever no nothing.....That would be trick

TEDDYS CAMARO
10-21-2005, 08:30 AM
Good Idea. Thanks!

toofun
10-21-2005, 08:50 AM
Sorry for being a little slow on the uptake but what exactly does this allow you to do? Is it an electronic gear selector? If so what if you want to manually downshift or up shift the car? How does that work? Do you have to push a button as you go? Like the looks of it with no shifter around. Definately would give the "what the hell" look on bypassers at the shows for sure.

Travis B
10-21-2005, 09:10 AM
Sorry for being a little slow on the uptake but what exactly does this allow you to do? Is it an electronic gear selector? If so what if you want to manually downshift or up shift the car? How does that work? Do you have to push a button as you go? Like the looks of it with no shifter around. Definately would give the "what the hell" look on bypassers at the shows for sure.

I think it can be manually up and downshifted or you can select D and it will be just like a regular shifter....well except with buttons instead

toofun
10-21-2005, 09:52 AM
So am I correct to assume that when you manually up or down shift it you would have to press the buttons? If so wouldn't you be better off just using a paddle shifter?

Travis B
10-21-2005, 11:11 AM
So am I correct to assume that when you manually up or down shift it you would have to press the buttons? If so wouldn't you be better off just using a paddle shifter?

you are correct.....i guess if you would rather have a paddle yes! The bushbutton doesn't require a TCI controller or anything though!

gray68
10-21-2005, 06:42 PM
true , I thought of the paddles too but you still need a shifter for those. Since I am starting from scratch (formerly had a column shift)I have no shifter or linkage or anything not even a hole in the floor. With the pushbutton shifter you dont even need linkage or to cut a big hole

Steve Chryssos
10-22-2005, 04:38 AM
you are correct.....i guess if you would rather have a paddle yes! The bushbutton doesn't require a TCI controller or anything though!

Correct. You don't even need an electronic transmission. But when you push that button, you are still at the mercy of fluid flow circuitry as opposed to digital circuitry. So you get the same sloppy, delayed or overbearing shifts that "slushboxes" are famous for. The electronic transmission controller provides true manumatic control.

Regarding the need for a mechanical shifter with the paddle shifter--this is for safety reasons. If the paddle shifter controlled park, reverse and neutral, you could paddle shift your way into reverse or park at 100mph. Very bad. So the paddle shifter ONLY controls the forward gars. That's why we do it and that's why all the auto manufacturers do it. There is no auto manufacturer that lets you paddle shift park, reverse, or neutral.

That said, If you want a paddle shifter and you want to hide your mechanical shifter: There is no reason why you can't install BOTH a paddle shifter and a pushbutton shifter. Keith Criswell will be doing that.

So the pushbutton shifter will control Park, Reverse, Neutral and Drive by way of the mechanical detent on the side of the transmission and the paddle shifter will control the forward gears during performance driving by way of an all electronic connection. You will still need an electronic automatic transmission and controller. The parts look like this:

1) Electronic Automatic Transmission (4L60E, 4L80E, AOD-E 4R70W, etc)
2) Electronic Transmission Controller (TCI, PCS, Compushift)
3) Shrifter™ Paddle Shifter (Electronic connection: Plugs into the controller)
4) Pushbutton Shifter (Mechanical connection: Attaches to selector arm on the side of transmission)

As you can see, the paddle shifter and pushbutton shifters are completely isolated. One plugs into the computer and the other bolts to the selector arm. All you have done here is to replace the typical $149 floor/column shifter with the pushbutton shifter.