PDA

View Full Version : GoodGuys Springfield

paul3078
06-08-2015, 06:44 PM
Hi, relatively new here, lots of reading and looking, not too many comments. Just looking for input on anyone going to the GoodGuys Springfield event. Want to run the autocross for the first time and would like to meet some of you that have run before... or not for that matter. Got my car finally done to the point of street driving. Fairly confident in its ability, maybe not so much in mine. Does anyone know if any ride tech reps will be there, got a few suspension questions for them about my car that I would like looked at. Other than that just want to have a fun weekend.

Paul Rivard
71 Nova
LS3 Tremec Magnum
Ride Tech suspension
Built in the home garage...

gator68428
06-10-2015, 09:16 AM
Car looks nice and sounds like you have some good parts. What tires are you running? If you're not running 200TW tires such as BFG Rivals, Dunlop ZIIs, Hankook RS3's or equivalent you will be at a disadvantage. That said, if you've never autocrossed before the tires may not come into play. Depending on how packed it is, and the number of runs you get, you may have the chance to go through a big learning curve in one weekend. For ex. at the FL event one could have gotten 30+ runs if one wanted to do so. However I recommend working to get better each run and not just going run after run without reflecting and analyzing each run, while also getting as many runs as you can. You will hit a plateau after so many runs, and it depends on how hard you try to improve from there that determines if you can break into lower times. What helped me a lot this past FL event, was to video record the runs and analyze the video and record some of the pro's and compare. Also, Kyle Tucker was very helpful; super nice guy eager to talk. He rode with me and gave me some pointers dropped my times .5s instantly. I ended up getting second in the SM class and really learned a lot. I will not be at the Springfield, but wish you the best of luck!

paul3078
06-10-2015, 10:07 AM
Hey Gator, thanks for the reply I am just running a nitto 555 but not the "r" tire. Built this to drive everyday.. or as much as possible so didn't want a tire that would wear out too quick. Handles great for street use but I am sure autox will show otherwise. Gotta start somewhere right? Maybe a changeover set of wheels and tires to race with will be in the future budget. Hopefully get to rub elbows with some of the big name guys and get pointers as you did.