PDA

View Full Version : classics and registring/inspections in Massachusetts

scott_fx
05-21-2015, 10:18 AM
My family will be relocating from California to Massachusetts this fall. I have a heavily modified 1966 Chevelle and i'm concerned about registration and inspections.
Its under construction but it will have an ls7 swap and long tube headers. Does the dmv require visual inspections for old cars? Would I need manifolds and catalytic converters? Anything else i should be aware of?

Thanks!

cactuss4
05-21-2015, 11:41 AM
that's not one of the states that taxes vehicles yearly like property tax is it? while CA sucks, at least they have not gone that route.

lnirenberg
05-25-2015, 05:04 AM
We do have yearly excise tax but it is based on book value so unless you have a AACA type car it is very low on older cars with a $25 minimum. It is a town collected tax so if they didn't have it our property taxes would go up to cover. Taxachusetts is a myth as my guess is the overall annual hit is less than in California. The inspection system is run through private garages and they only have equipment for the latest gen OBD set up, they no longer stick a probe up the tail pipe. Basically your talking about a yearly safety inspection. You will need mufflers because the one modified area you need to watch is noise which is randomly enforced. My answer is "it came from the factory just like this" and I've never had a problem.

scott_fx
05-26-2015, 09:48 AM
excise tax! i forgot about that (I am originally from MA). I dont know how much the garage is going to believe the fuel injected ls7 is stock though :)

lnirenberg
05-26-2015, 09:52 AM
My shop doesn't even open up the hood except if they want to see what goodies I may have in there

scott_fx
05-26-2015, 09:56 AM
My shop doesn't even open up the hood except if they want to see what goodies I may have in there
ha... good to know. Looks like i'll be visiting my old mechanic when i get back. he used to do all the work to my cars and my parents are still regular costumers of his. I hope he does the inspections.

Tincup
05-27-2015, 06:32 AM
Inspections are based on year of the vehicle. Old cars are subject to Safety only and not emissions..:-)