PDA

View Full Version : Hotchkis shock ride height

BuddyP
10-18-2005, 06:51 PM
Just picked up a set of Hotckis 2" drop springs for a 1st gen camaro... for $50. Here's the catch, they have 3/4 - 1 wind cut off of them. Guy says that made it into about 2.5" drop. Basically I'm wondering if I F'ed up or made out decent. From some of the Camaro's I've seen pics of, those with cut springs seem to have a nice stance to them over the none cut dropsprings.

rocketrod
10-18-2005, 07:18 PM
I have a set of those on my car and will be cutting 3/4-1 coil out of them this winter to get the stance where I want it. For the $$ I would say you got a good deal, but you really won't know until you install them, since every car is a little different. Worst case you could always sell them for $50 if you don't like the stance.

yody
10-18-2005, 07:41 PM
hmmm, i just sold a second gen set for $50 with a coil cut off?? got them off ebay? sure they are for first gen??? BTW i just put a set of hothckis 2" drop springs on a 68 firebird with a poncho alm head 400, car sat LOW!! I couldn't imagine another spring cut off!!! or any at all for that fact, he also has aluminum radiator. Can't hurt to try them

MrQuick
10-18-2005, 08:19 PM
I know this isn't a Camaro but its pretty close. This is a Nova with a full coil cut off of the 2" drop Hotchkis spring. Just to add this is a aluminum headed small block. Hey yodo : ) ?

yody
10-18-2005, 08:20 PM
what nova? I think now that your married, you might be "too quick"

MikeDVC
10-18-2005, 09:13 PM
I cut a full coil off, for my 2nd gen. Still not as low as I want it, but I'm afraid to cut anymore. The car sits level (have Hotchkis leaf out back), but would rather have the front a little lower then the rear for more of a raked look.

I talked to the guys at Hotchkis, they did not recommand cutting more then one coil.

Try them and see, the ride height depends a lot on how much weight you have removed from the front of your car.

yody
10-18-2005, 09:17 PM
second gen spring is differnet, I too had to cut almost a full coil off

MrQuick
10-18-2005, 09:37 PM
also just to add, the full coil was to a 3/4" off the total spring height out of car and an 1 1/2" drop installed after settling. Total drop with Hotchkis 2" drop was 3 " from new replacment Moog springs.

BuddyP
10-19-2005, 09:04 AM
hmmm, i just sold a second gen set for $50 with a coil cut off?? got them off ebay? sure they are for first gen??? BTW i just put a set of hothckis 2" drop springs on a 68 firebird with a poncho alm head 400, car sat LOW!! I couldn't imagine another spring cut off!!! or any at all for that fact, he also has aluminum radiator. Can't hurt to try them
Yes on ebay, were noted as SB Nova/1st gen camaro. Guy had them on a '69 then went to coil overs.