PDA

View Full Version : I want to build my own 12 bolt but...

73z-6sp
10-18-2005, 09:49 AM
I have never done this before! I am sick and tired of trying to find someone (shop) that is willing to build it for any reasonable amount of money. Not to mention they all think they are doing you a HUGE favor by doing it for you. I can build it myself if I can learn how. What tools are needed for this job? Is there a book that is recommended? Any help or advice is appreciated. My experience has always been, "do it yourself and save the headache". I want to do as much of my build myself.

ProStreet R/T
10-18-2005, 10:25 AM
Sure you can do it at home, but as for "save the headache" well that doesn't exactly fit the bill here. Building a rear end can be a MAJOR pita.

Tools: Good micrometer (0-1") with various tip extensions and a magnetic base. Used to check pinion depth and backlash on ring gear.

Will need to have a shop press the bearing onto the pinion gear, not something I would recommend just pounding on.

Plan on doing it 3-4 times before you get the lash and mesh pattern correct. I've done gear installs on 9" and it's not too bad but not something I would jump on again anytime soon. If you can find a shop to do it for under $150 in labor go for it.

73z-6sp
10-18-2005, 10:44 AM
Man, If I could find a shop to do it for 150 I WOULD be all over that like white on rice! Im looking at at least twice that for labor. That doesnt even include the cutting/rewelding of spring perches!

MrQuick
10-18-2005, 08:35 PM
Have you tried other shop around your area, you should be able to find something around Phoenix.

73z-6sp
10-18-2005, 10:41 PM
I called several places here in Tucson. Nothing less than 300 in labor for just the rebuild which is basically installing gears and posi. The housing is stripped and cleaned. Another 100 for labor of installing spring perches. So minimum is going to be 400 but most likely will be 500+ by the time it is finished. That is why I want to learn to do this stuff myself. Headache or not, it feels better doing it yourself!

MrQuick
10-19-2005, 06:43 PM
theres a web site somewhere that has a pretty good tutorial page on how to do an overhaul. Can't seem to find it now...it was posted on a forum....arrrggg Maybe Tom can make you a video

SatisTraction
10-20-2005, 05:19 AM
most shops charge WAY to much to set up a rear axle. go to the DRAG STRIP and talk to a few of the local racers. most of them either set of their own or know who does it very well at a good price.

73z-6sp
10-20-2005, 06:28 AM
That is a good idea. I will try that. I would still like to say I built it myself but...

chicane67
10-20-2005, 08:02 AM
Bring it to Vegas....... I'll do it just to teach you how to build your own.

73z-6sp
10-20-2005, 10:00 AM
Thanks! That is very cool for you to offer. If I wasnt so busy I would take you up on that. Any excuse to go to Vegas!
I have found a guy who says he will do it but no prices set yet. He's in the AirNG with me so I think I can trust him! ;) Hopefully the timing will work out. I'll keep you posted.