PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on where to start

Camicus
04-23-2015, 11:21 AM
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. I have a 1968 Camaro RS that is mostly stock. 327 with a 4sp Muncie trans. This car has had a frame off restoration and the body is in mint condition so I don't want to go cutting the body up. But at the same time I'd like to make it look and drive better. Any suggestions on the best place to start? I need new tires and rims for sure. I'd like something smaller in the front and bigger in the back. Also I know I will have to upgrade the brakes. Eventually I would like to drop a big block in there with a T56 6spd transmission. But I think I should probably upgrade the suspension and brakes before doing something like that.

Any suggestions on the best upgrade path? I'd like to keep it streetable as well :P

Thanks,

James

mikewoods
04-23-2015, 11:24 AM
I started with brakes and suspension.

Camicus
04-23-2015, 11:54 AM
I started with brakes and suspension.

What kind of work did you do to your suspension if you don't mind me asking?

NOT A TA
04-23-2015, 12:19 PM
Start with a good foundation. First thing is to carefully inspect everything under the car, frame rails, floor etc. Then see if it has solid body mounts and frame connectors, if not that'd be the first thing I'd do.

Camicus
04-23-2015, 12:38 PM
Start with a good foundation. First thing is to carefully inspect everything under the car, frame rails, floor etc. Then see if it has solid body mounts and frame connectors, if not that'd be the first thing I'd do.

This car has had a complete frame off restoration. The body and underneath is immaculate. Every bushing has been replaced and everything is perfect. My issue is that the car is pretty much stock and it's boring to drive :)

68Formula
04-23-2015, 01:53 PM
This car has had a complete frame off restoration. The body and underneath is immaculate. Every bushing has been replaced and everything is perfect. My issue is that the car is pretty much stock and it's boring to drive :)

By solid body mounts he means aluminum (as opposed to stock-type rubber or polyurethane). Makes it lean less, feel tighter, and more responsive. Then you can add subframe connectors to further reduce chassis flex under load.

rickierockit92
04-23-2015, 04:12 PM
Suspension .. .. If the 327 isn't beefed up then do it. You can really get some power out of them and you don't see too many. Suspension and brakes. Fat that rear end up with some deep dish vette 15x8 .. 275's maybe? You definitely want to drop that stance a bit. Then you'll be smiling much more. Rad car either way dude.

RobNoLimit
04-24-2015, 05:41 AM
Sounds foolish, but start with a piece of paper. Before you think about what to buy or change, (1) clearly define what the end goal is, (2) set a realistic budget. The car looks great, so I totally understand not wanting to cut it up. Knowing what kind of car you want will help with the parts/change decisions. Then, start with the foundation and build up. A 275 tire car can be very fast and fun. Urethane sub mounts, bolt in connectors, Guldstrand mod, good shocks and sway bars, and a Tru-turn set up will make a big difference. Leafs can be worked to do the job, ask David Pozzi for his advice on this. Rodney Prouty has the best driving 'stock sub', 275 tire, car I've seen, maybe he can chip in.

Mr.VENGEANCE
04-24-2015, 05:45 AM
whats your startup budget you want to spend?

that can determine which parts to start with...

more visual than functional?.. more fuction than vision?

those all help find a good start from us.

Bryan O
04-24-2015, 07:49 AM
Eventually I would like to drop a big block in there with a T56 6spd transmission...

James

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. But, you're going to have to widen the trans tunnel to accommodate a T-56.