PDA

View Full Version : Electric water pump vs. Mechanical water pump

Midwest Performance
09-14-2004, 12:27 PM
Which is better for a high horse power (750-1000hp)supercharged street car. Electric or mechanical water pump. I have been told mechanical but would like the opinion of more people. I like the idea of the Delta Current Control (http://www.dccontrol.com/index.htm) controling the water pump and fan together but wondering if it would be a gamble.

Kevin

Jim Nilsen
09-16-2004, 08:18 PM
I believe that it is the right technology to be using.

If you believe in EFI over carbs you already have made the most important part of the journey, having an open mind.

I don't care what industry you look at you will always find people stuck in the past not willing to accept that electronics are dependable and not impossible to work on.

I have had a mechanical water pump strand me and along with other related components that are stock like the radiator, battery,alternator, all of which are combined into a system monitored and controlled for its best efficiency if you use this controller. If not you can lose a water pump/alternator belt, lose the pump only or the alternator and still be no more or less crippled than you would normally be.Especially if you use a serpentine system.

I also believe that there are other benefits like horsepower and cooling when shutdown of the engine happens and it is still very hot. A system like this that is programed properly could save you from warping a head or cracking a block under certain circumstances.

You can't get high rpm flow rates at idle with a mechanical pump but you can with an electric setup like this.

Done right it is just plain better !!!!! :git:

Jim Nilsen

67 caprice
09-17-2004, 03:32 AM
I plan on using a water pump from Meziere. http://www.meziere.com/2004_catalog/06.pdf
This pump is suppose to out flow any mechanical pump at idle by 25% Has any one used a pump like this?

Jim Nilsen
09-20-2004, 09:12 PM
you need to go to the thread above and check out what is being discussed. The answers to your questions are there already.

see you there , Jim Nilsen

Zefhix
09-21-2004, 11:28 AM
Which is better for a high horse power (750-1000hp)supercharged street car. Electric or mechanical water pump. I have been told mechanical but would like the opinion of more people. I like the idea of the Delta Current Control (http://www.dccontrol.com/index.htm) controling the water pump and fan together but wondering if it would be a gamble.

Kevin

WOW!! I just read their entire website...good stuff. I want the fan/waterpump controller kit and the daytime running lamps controller.
Thanks for posting......

SDMAN
09-24-2004, 07:55 PM
A well maintained mechanical pump will give years and many tens of thousands of miles of reliable service. But mechanical pumps have one shortcoming. At low engine speeds they dont move much water. Get stuck in some summertime bumper to bumper traffic and things can warm up pretty quickly. This shortcoming is easily fixed with a small electric booster pump (I have the one from Stewart). This pump is installed in the lower radiator hose and is normally off. But water will still flow thru the pump. When an increased flow of water is necessary you can manually turn it on. Once your back underway, click it off.

Pro-touring towncar
09-25-2004, 09:45 AM
I have often thought about the Meziere electric pump that allows you to run the factory belts etc. on the towncar.
but the booster pump also sounds good.

Tim

ProdigyCustoms
09-25-2004, 10:14 AM
We run a lot of Meziere pumps. I run one in my street racer which is a filled block to the bottom of the freeze plugs, and with just a 18 inch fan, no shroud, on a Griffen Rradiator, and it does a great job.
Someone above mentioned the low rpm flow of a mechnaical pump. This is exactly what we found, and with a Meziere you are flowing the equivelent of about 3000 rpms with a mechanical pump, at all times.
The controler looks kind of cool, but looks like the ultimate over kill, and something else to go wrong. I have not seen the spikes dramatized in their demo. 90% of the stuff we build will maintain good operating tempature, without changing fan speed or turning fan on and off.

racer5C
09-10-2005, 08:03 AM
Has anyone tried CSR's CSI-9000HV? Specs at 60-70 gpm, wonder if it will last on the street.

4RS FED
09-22-2005, 10:14 AM
I plan on running a Aftermarket mechanical water pump. Under EXTREME engine loads (1000+ HP) turbo charged engines. I have seen multiple times electric pumps cant push out the flow of water. Also water pressure is a important aspect to look at. A few freinds of mine have ran electric pumps for a long time, and are switching back to machanical.