PDA

View Full Version : Long distance cruiser

aero80
10-17-2005, 02:28 PM
Hello,

I'm new to the board. I've been building highway hot rods for many years.
They have been of many types ranging from SCCA-legal race cars with road equipment to american supercars with full custom chassis designs.

The one thing they all have in common is that they all are used on the open road.

The car below is my current ride. It is powered by a 590 HP modified ZZ454, with a BW Super T-10 steel-case NASCAR transmission. It uses a 7-quart Milodon oil pan that has good ground clearance on this very low car. The headers are 3/4 length to provide for additional ground clearance. The lowest part of the chassis are the subframe connectors which give more clearance than the commercially available ones.

I run 2.43-3.07 gears depending on what's going to be happening. The numerically-low gears are never a handicap with rat motor torque.

The stock frame is seam-welded and gusseted. It can use either stock A-arm type suspension or the fully adjustable transverse leaf spring setup at my discression. The upper A-arms are tubular and allow for 6 degrees of postive caster.

I use this Camaro for long-range travel. It has numerous body mods for reinforcement, and custom sub connects (rail-to-rail type) in companion with a roll cage that work very well in this T-top car. The car is very stiff overall. The roll cage is incomplete, and is currently only 4 points.
It has 12" brakes front and rear, and runs light-weight NASCAR Basset Inertia Advantage wheels. These wheels are the genuine article, and not street lookalikes.

There is no sound system, no heater or fan or defroster, and only bare minimum road equipment. The defroster wires in the back window are wired to act as a covert antennae for scanning radio equipment.

This Camaro is also used extensively in film work as a high-speed Camera car, and features mounts for computers and motion picture cameras.

As you can see, I prefer to build my cars strictly as purpose-machines, and they rarely feature chrome or polished metal other than as necessary. Their appearance is usually a result of function.

The car, as pictured, was used recently by me for a full round-trip tour of America. That is what I mainly build my cars to do, although the Camaro does run low 11s in the quarter, and handles extremely well.

This looks like a great site, and I will be visiting often

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/10/camarotypecx-1.jpg

RatMalibu
10-17-2005, 02:40 PM
thats one evil looking f-body....welcome

69rs
10-17-2005, 05:34 PM
:eek: Wow! That car is wicked! :evil: Welcome.

Ralph LoGrasso
10-17-2005, 05:46 PM
Welcome to the site, sweet car!

zbugger
10-18-2005, 12:11 AM
Welcome to the site Eric. There's lots of good guys here. I hope you enjoy your stay.

derekf
10-18-2005, 03:16 AM
Very nice. Welcome to the site, Eric. I'm surprised that nobody before me has called for more pics!

69Nova
10-18-2005, 02:11 PM
That car is soooooooo sick. I love it. And welcome.

Andrew Petty

ViperBlue68
10-19-2005, 08:53 AM
welcome to the site :cheers: your car looks absolutely sinister! I love it :jawdrop: please do post some more pics.

vanzuuk1
10-29-2012, 06:10 AM
Really cool.

cornfedbill
10-29-2012, 11:22 AM
Welcome. I agree, that is one wicked looking ride. I like it.

BMR Sales
11-01-2012, 09:08 AM
Welcome to the site...... I would love to see more pictures of the car in action and under hood if you get a chance.