PDA

View Full Version : Front end alignment - 1st gen Camaro?

BuddyP
10-17-2005, 01:19 PM
How is this done with putting a car freshly back together? I'm in the stage of assembling the front subframe. Did the G-mod so not sure that the amount of shims that were originally there will really be close or not. Do I still put some shims in to get it close than put coil spring in? Or does it not matter until the car if completely assembled?

David Pozzi
10-17-2005, 08:06 PM
I'd put it all together with no shims at all, then after all is done including the engine and anything else that would add weight or change ride height, THEN I'd eyeball the suspension and add some shims to get the camber close to zero, just put the same amount of shims on the front bolt as you do on the rear bolt, set toe in last, then drive it to the alignment shop.
If you want to do a complete alignment at home, I'll look for some links for you to visit.
David

BuddyP
10-18-2005, 03:51 AM
Thanks Dave! I'll just do what you said and get the suspension bolted together and worry about it when the car is done.

Norm Peterson
10-18-2005, 05:29 AM
I've got a write-up on DIY alignment if you're interested/when you're ready. It's kind of lengthy, so it might hit a limit on character count and require two posts if there's enough interest to post it in this thread. Or I could just e-mail it as a Word file.

On edit, there's a couple of links to DIY alignment discussions in post #8 of this thread (https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7314). The links in post #8 bring you to Corner-Carvers.

Norm