PDA

View Full Version : Coil Springs vs. Coil Overs on a '69 Camaro

Keiths Camaro
03-28-2015, 06:59 AM
My '69 Camaro has coil springs on it now. Im thinking about going to some double adjustable coil overs. What are the pros and cons of each. Right now the springs dont match each other. One has a clamp on one side of the spring and it still sits crooked.Im thinking about the coil overs for the adjust-ability and ride height. Is there any sacrifice in ride? I know the Hotchkis 2" springs on my Black '69 ride pretty rough. How would the Double Adustable Vikings ride in comparison? Also Street Valving or Autocross Valving. I cruise it alot. Just trying to make up my mind and trying to find out from people who have experienced it. Thanks Keith

Windycity1
03-28-2015, 08:03 AM
I have QA1 single adjustable on my 69 Camaro. Rides great.

Keiths Camaro
03-28-2015, 08:18 AM
How does it ride compared to your coils?

Windycity1
03-28-2015, 10:24 AM
Ride is much firmer but not harsh. I originally got them after going thru 2 sets of coils attempting to get the ride height that I wanted.

jaybee
03-28-2015, 06:36 PM
Easily adjustable ride height and ready availability of different spring rates are on the side of the coil over. If you feel good about getting the right ride height and spring rate on the first couple of tries and you aren't doing regular tuning for track conditions they're just more bling for more money.

Windycity1
03-28-2015, 06:59 PM
By the time you go thru 2 or 3 sets of springs cost will not be a factor. Not to mention the aggravation.

Windycity1
03-28-2015, 07:07 PM
oops

Boosted_1stGen
03-29-2015, 05:48 PM
How low can you go over stock with the single adjustable?

Windycity1
03-30-2015, 07:23 AM
Single or dual shock adjustability has nothing to do with height adjustment. You can go as low as you want as long as you get the correct spring to match the weight of the front of your vehicle.

Boosted_1stGen
03-30-2015, 01:56 PM
What spring rate did you get I have a 69 just like yours

Carl @ Chassisworks
03-30-2015, 03:15 PM
The benefit of a coilover system is that you have options when it comes to spring rate. There is not much parity when it comes to traditional coil spring ratings so it's a bit of a crap shoot as to what ride height you will end up with. However, ride quality can be very good, especially when paired with a good set of shocks like our new VariShock SS shocks.

With a coilover system, the shock length and mounting points determine the ride height. The spring rate holds the car off the ground. The higher the rate, the more compression resistance it will have, generally speaking. The amount of preload on the spring can be used to fine tune the ride height of the vehicle within a limited range.

I share this link a lot, but it has a lot of good information about coilover shocks, traditional shocks, and the many different types of hardware. CLICK HERE TO READ - COILOVER CONVERSIONS EXPLAINED. (http://www.cachassisworks.com/whitepapers/002-CoiloverConversion_WP_WEB.pdf)

BMR Sales
03-31-2015, 07:41 AM
Keith, you will be happy with the ride on Vikings. The Ride Height will be determined by the Shock Length, and Spring Rate. The Spring Rate will correspond to what engine you have

Keiths Camaro
03-31-2015, 04:30 PM
Thank you for the replies.My car is a small block chevy with PS,PB, and A/C. I do also of cruising. How much difference in ride with the street valving and road course valving?

High Plains Mopars
04-01-2015, 06:34 AM
How do you intend on using the car and how devoted are you to tuning it?

IMO, unless you need to regularly change spring rates, dial in dampening, and alter ride heights, you don't "need" coil overs with 180 something different shock settings.

If you simple want to step up your rate and equalize your ride height, you can most likely do that with a coil spring change and an upgraded shock. I'd suggest you call someplace like Chassisworks, Speedway Motors, DSE, or some of the other vendors listed on here to discuss your combo, you driving style, and application. They can recommend a coil spring rate and height that will most likely get you 95% of where you need to be without buying and swapping out a dozen different springs.

The big advantage to changing coil springs compared to a full blown coil over conversion is you can upgrade your rate and improve your ride height for under $200 and an afternoon's worth of work. Contrast that to a coil over conversion that may require fabrication work, shop time, and a price tag that is easily over a couple of grand worth of just parts. You can then upgrade shocks at a later date to whatever wiz bang style you want.

Carl @ Chassisworks
04-01-2015, 08:40 AM
Thank you for the replies.My car is a small block chevy with PS,PB, and A/C. I do also of cruising. How much difference in ride with the street valving and road course valving?

simple answer: The amount of resistance is much higher for a road course shock. Our factory-valved SS shocks were developed to have excellent street manners but still perform excellent in hard cornering situations. If you wanted to do a track day once a year, they would be a great option as you would have predictable handling. If you wanted to use the car in timed events or frequent track days, then I would suggest a double adjustable shock. Middle of the road? Check out the QS1 single adjustable.

How do you intend on using the car and how devoted are you to tuning it?

IMO, unless you need to regularly change spring rates, dial in dampening, and alter ride heights, you don't "need" coil overs with 180 something different shock settings. Well, do we even really NEED 8 cylinders? The QS-1 has 16 settings, each one makes a noticeable difference. There are 256 settings for the QS-2 and, if you want to really be competitive, there is the Q4-R has 65,536 possible settings. :)

killer69
04-01-2015, 10:49 AM
if you want to really be competitive, there is the Q4-R has 65,536 possible settings. :)[/QUOTE]

Can you show me which I will need for my car .............lmao sorry couldn't resist

Carl @ Chassisworks
04-01-2015, 12:34 PM
Can you show me which I will need for my car .............lmao sorry couldn't resist

Sure, Blake. You know I'm happy to help! Ship me your car. I'll install the shocks, test and tune them, and tell you what the settings are. Then you can pick it up. I'll only need it for a month or two. You may need a new set of tires, I can't be held responsible for the additional adhesion and wear generated by the excellent roads that we have up here. Mosquito Ridge Road is pretty hard on tires. So is our parking lot.
:jump:

But, if your insurance company puts the kibosh on the above gameplan, you might try reading the directions and the tuning guide that are included with each pair of VariShocks. I also suggest that our customers who are serious about tuning pick up a copy of Engineer In Your Pocket - Click. (http://www.cachassisworks.com/p-2793-road-race-chassis-tuning-guide.aspx) It fits in a glove box or center console and can come in really handy.

EDIT: For those not in the know, Blake and I go back a few years. I have a Speedtech keychain and he even bought me dinner once at SEMA.